BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, May-06-2018, 08:01:41 PM   #1
Djrnmd

United States

Default Rough idle, sputtering, no power

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I just bought a 2001 M3 yesterday (Titanium Silver, manual, coupe - it's beautiful!) with 122,xxx miles on it. I bought the car from Kansas City but I live in St. Louis, MO, so I found a local independent BMW shop in KC that had good reviews to do a PPI.

The shop performed the following repairs (below) but on the 250 mile drive back to St. Louis, I noticed the Service Engine Soon light was on so I took it to an AutoZone where they read a P0430 code indicating "Catalyst System Efficiency (Bank 2) Below Threshold" and sold me some fuel cleaner.

Yesterday, I noticed that the car idled a little rough after sitting at a stoplight for 20 or 30 seconds. Today, I drove the car to get a funnel so I could add the fuel cleaner, and on the way home it started sputtering to the point where I could barely get it to move forward. I got the car home and parked it in the street.

I assume I need to take it to a BMW repair shop next, but the question is whether or not I should have it towed or should I try driving it to the shop (which is about a 10 minute drive away)? I went ahead and added the fuel cleaner when I got home, but I am wondering if that will be able to do much good while the car is just sitting in the street... Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Repairs list:
- Replaced Vanos with Dr. Vanos rebuilt unit
- Adjusted valve clearance
- R&I valve cover to replace gasket set and valve cover nut seals
- Replace spark plugs
- Replaced power steering hoses, associated clamps and seals
- Replaced right and left lower control arms and bushings/brackets
- Replaced oil filter housing gasket
- re-built shifter assembly, service manual gearbox using Redline MTL synthetic gear oil, clean out threads, replace drain plug
- Replace LH and RH differential side seal, replace gear oil
Jump to top Djrnmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, May-06-2018, 08:18:29 PM   #2
aaronpoweruser

United States

Default Re: Rough idle, sputtering, no power

Sounds like a coil pack, start there

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
Jump to top aaronpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-06-2018, 10:57:04 PM   #3
andrewrivera141

United States

Hey man. Congratulations on your new ride. How about a throttle valve?. And I don't want to scare you but I don't know about that red line you added but only time will tell anyway. If the BMW shop is 10 min away I think you'll be fine. I would actually be idling at my house to see if it continues actually. Or let it sit for a day and the next day try to test drive it before you hit up BMW. Let us know the end result.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Jump to top andrewrivera141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-07-2018, 03:34:43 AM   #4
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Start by checking everything bank 2 related - coils, spark plugs, injectors, intake boot and exhaust header leaks. First thing I might check though is O2 sensor operation on bank 2.

Can you read your ltft (fuel trims)? Any other codes present?

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-07-2018, 07:14:05 PM   #5
Jonnie86

In the garage:

United States

Fuel injector cleaner is a complete waste of money. You would have been better off scanning the computer to see what code you were getting to trigger the SES light. Most autoparts stores will do it for free. That way, you would have an idea of what is causing the sputtering.

Last edited by Jonnie86; Mon, May-07-2018 at 07:26:03 PM.
Jump to top Jonnie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-07-2018, 07:36:00 PM   #6
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie86 View Post
Fuel injector cleaner is a complete waste of money. You would have been better off scanning the computer to see what code you were getting to trigger the SES light. Most autoparts stores will do it for free. That way, you would have an idea of what is causing the sputtering.
He did scan it at autozone, please reread the post.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Old Mon, May-07-2018, 08:26:21 PM   #7
Petener999

United States

Try cleaning your MAP sensor and ICV.
Jump to top Petener999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-07-2018, 08:47:00 PM   #8
Texaz3

United States

Can almost guarantee you that is either a cat or a O2 sensors (I would change both on bank 2). But most likely its the cat.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-07-2018, 11:19:45 PM   #9
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Cats are expensive and are actually very rarely the culprit, those cats last a very long time. Car running too rich/lean due to bad sensors or vacuum leaks are more likely cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Can almost guarantee you that is either a cat or a O2 sensors (I would change both on bank 2). But most likely its the cat.

Old Tue, May-08-2018, 04:07:05 AM   #10
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Cats are expensive and are actually very rarely the culprit, those cats last a very long time. Car running too rich/lean due to bad sensors or vacuum leaks are more likely cause.

122K miles. I've seen cars with bad cats at half the mileage.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote