BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 05:09:28 PM   #1
trumpsterfire

In the garage:

United States

Question Good Driving Roads Around Asheville NC

I know this probably isn't the proper place on the forum for this discussion but it gets the most views. Looking to do some mountain road driving this weekend in the area and just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions. I know tail of the dragon is popular for motorcycles and miatas but probably not the best fit for our cars. Thoughts?
Jump to top trumpsterfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 05:49:31 PM   #2
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Good Driving Roads Around Asheville NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpsterfire View Post
I know tail of the dragon is popular for motorcycles and miatas but probably not the best fit for our cars. Thoughts?
I think that's not correct

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 06:11:13 PM   #3
brandroidian

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpsterfire View Post
I know this probably isn't the proper place on the forum for this discussion but it gets the most views. Looking to do some mountain road driving this weekend in the area and just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions. I know tail of the dragon is popular for motorcycles and miatas but probably not the best fit for our cars. Thoughts?
Ha, I'm headed to Asheville with my M3 tomorrow!. The BlueRidge Parkway is a nice scenic curvy road boat the speed limit is really low and it's monitored well. If you're looking for some roads to carve, I don't know many but 74 between Fletcher and Bat Cave (yes that's really a place) is a fun windy road.
If you head east a bit down 40 the road up to the top of Mt Mitchell is nice, and then you can say you went to the highest peak east of the Mississippi River.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by brandroidian; Tue, Nov-21-2017 at 06:14:56 PM.
Jump to top brandroidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 06:41:03 PM   #4
brandroidian

In the garage:

United States

Also, noticed you're in Greenville as am I. What part of town do you live?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Jump to top brandroidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 07:25:07 PM   #5
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

All around Asheville is fantastic mountain driving roads. Also, OP the Tail of The Dragon and surrounding roads are some of the VERY BEST driving roads for the e46 M3 on the east coast. I go twice a year. It’s fantastic and so is the entire drive up to it. Even the Skyway is a BLAST!! Now is the time to go!! Just before it gets to freezing temps and also in spring, just before the weather warms up. If it’s warm out, expect the place to be a parking lot of slow movspots by cruiser bikes. With the weather like it is now, you can have the entire stretch all to yourself or close to it. I love this time of year. It’s your personal ‘Nurburgring’. Last spring when I went it was in the mid 40s. Myself, a friend that drove up with me, and a ‘Killboy’ employee that works the Tail with his e36 M3 were the only 3 cars there the entire day. It doesn’t get better than that.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Tue, Nov-21-2017 at 07:29:27 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 07:41:56 PM   #6
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

I did Tail of the Dragon back in 2014 in my M3. Still a fun drive in a car. Just be safe and don't over push the car if you decide to do it. Lots of bikes and motorists use the road.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a nice scenic drive as well. Don't think about speeding on the Parkway though as it's federal property and park rangers can issue tickets.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 07:44:47 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Just realized you guys are fairly close to me. I'm in Charlotte, NC. We should meet up one time when the weather gets nice again. I'm planning on hitting Road Atlanta next year - hopefully.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 07:59:01 PM   #8
lmtfi

United States

The road to Cashiers/Highlands.

Don't stray across the line in the turns - or you will ultimately regret it.
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 08:44:10 PM   #9
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Just realized you guys are fairly close to me. I'm in Charlotte, NC. We should meet up one time when the weather gets nice again. I'm planning on hitting Road Atlanta next year - hopefully.
We absolutely should have a meet/greet/day drive sometime. I would be down, when my schedule permits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
The road to Cashiers/Highlands.

Don't stray across the line in the turns - or you will ultimately regret it.
You know what SUCKS...I am going to Cashiers tomorrow for Thanksgiving. EXCELLENT driving. What sucks is, my car is in the shop getting headers finished up. I was debating taking my car up (duh) since the driving is so great up there...but my car has been off the road for 3+ months and just got it's VANOS sorted and perfect again...Given that it has been sitting for so long, I just don't think it would be wise for me to chance it by bringing my car up there on it's first day back in my hands. It's had a lot of work done to it recently and a lot of variables changed. It just kills me to have to rent a boring econobox for this drive when I have a spectacular M3 with fresh Stepped V1s ready to roar. Ughhhhh....but I would hate to be stranded up there in the event that little things still need to be worked out.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 09:17:51 PM   #10
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post

You know what SUCKS...I am going to Cashiers tomorrow for Thanksgiving. EXCELLENT driving. What sucks is, my car is in the shop getting headers finished up. I was debating taking my car up (duh) since the driving is so great up there...but my car has been off the road for 3+ months and just got it's VANOS sorted and perfect again...Given that it has been sitting for so long, I just don't think it would be wise for me to chance it by bringing my car up there on it's first day back in my hands. It's had a lot of work done to it recently and a lot of variables changed. It just kills me to have to rent a boring econobox for this drive when I have a spectacular M3 with fresh Stepped V1s ready to roar. Ughhhhh....but I would hate to be stranded up there in the event that little things still need to be worked out.
Best I can tell - there are no car shops at all in Cashiers or Highlands... so any problem means "on the back of a flatbed" all the way down the mountain. Its a great road - but probably best exercised in somewhat warmer temps. Its definitely a 'suspension' and balance road.

There is a memorial (probably one of many) to a motorcyclist on the left side going up to Lake Toxaway... a small white cross. He crossed the center line in a blind turn. I spoke to a buddy of his at a restaurant.