BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Wed, Oct-17-2018, 10:27:46 PM   #1
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Default Corner worker killed at Laguna Seca at track day 10/16

Tragic occurrence yesterday at Laguna Seca. Here is the memo a friend just sent me:

As many of you will by now have heard, there was a serious incident on track at our event yesterday at Laguna Seca that resulted in the fatality of a corner worker.

From those who witnessed the incident, we have gathered that a major oil spill right at the braking zone for the corkscrew prompted a corner worker to leave his post to alert following cars of the incident. Unfortunately the next cars to approach did hit the oil and lose control, with one of them striking the corner worker.

More details I got later:

A Porsche Turbo laid down the oil approaching the Corkscrew. A little behind was a McLaren which made it through ok. Then a GT3 came thru and lost it and struck the barrier. Apparently the corner worker left his station to try to move towards turn 7 to warn oncoming drivers of the hazard sooner and was struck by a GT3 RS which lost control in the oil. It was the "A" Gp and the first session after lunch.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-17-2018, 11:26:47 PM   #2
LateBraking

United States

Default Re: Corner worker killed at Laguna Seca at track day 10/16

Same, heard about this. Real tragedy. Corner workers to my knowledge are largely volunteers there to guarantee our safety and they should not be the ones paying the price for the risks that we're taking out on the track. I was so saddened by this news.

I heard they're putting together a fund to help the family, I encourage our community to find it in the goodness of our collective hearts to help the family out in even the smallest way that we can in this undoubtedly trying time for them.

Old Wed, Oct-17-2018, 11:31:38 PM   #3
LateBraking

United States

I found the discussion thread and donation link on Rennlist, admins I apologize if this isn't allowed and please delete or notify me to delete, but for anyone who would like to donate here it is:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token...US&locale.x=US

And here is the news story.

https://www.kion546.com/news/employe...seca/807392226
Old Wed, Oct-17-2018, 11:47:16 PM   #4
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
I found the discussion thread and donation link on Rennlist, admins I apologize if this isn't allowed and please delete or notify me to delete, but for anyone who would like to donate here it is:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token...US&locale.x=US

And here is the news story.

https://www.kion546.com/news/employe...seca/807392226

Awesome. Thanks for that!

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-17-2018, 11:53:30 PM   #5
LateBraking

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
Awesome. Thanks for that!
No problem, I'm glad you brought it to this forum's attention too. Although there's healthy discussion about it on Rennlist, its something relevant to any track day driver and organizer in the world, and deserves attention.

There are allegations floating around that the driver was notified of a minor oil leak prior to his getting back on track. Track day drivers, please tech inspect your cars prior to each track day, don't just lazily sign off on the form. And please, even if a issue seems minor, just call it a day and go home it's just not worth the gamble. Even if you're just a daily driver, please don't neglect basic maintenance, you never know when something might go very wrong at the worst moment. Some very important lessons to be learned from this tragedy.
Old Wed, Oct-17-2018, 11:58:49 PM   #6
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

In the garage:

Philippines

Default Corner worker killed at Laguna Seca at track day 10/16

So sad. RIP

Tischer aka GetBmwParts

Last edited by daytonaviolet; Sun, Oct-21-2018 at 11:24:59 PM.
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-18-2018, 12:09:00 AM   #7
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

This was actually a couple days ago with exclusive track days. Sucks what happened.
Old Thu, Oct-18-2018, 12:51:46 AM   #8
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Thatís very sad. I always try to show my appreciation to the corner workers. Itís not a very pleasant job. But because of them, they allows us to be out there on track enjoying our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 VW GLI 6MT - Black/Black

E46 M3 Build Journal
Jump to top silvergray545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 06:30:58 AM   #9
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
There are allegations floating around that the driver was notified of a minor oil leak prior to his getting back on track. Track day drivers, please tech inspect your cars prior to each track day, don't just lazily sign off on the form. And please, even if a issue seems minor, just call it a day and go home it's just not worth the gamble. Even if you're just a daily driver, please don't neglect basic maintenance, you never know when something might go very wrong at the worst moment. Some very important lessons to be learned from this tragedy.

Tragic incident. Corner workers are usually paid but itís by no means a lucrative amount.

IMO, the tech inspection system doesnít work. Itís only as good as the effort put into it and there is minimal enforcement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 05:40:25 PM   #10
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Tragic.

Tech inspections seem to be a joke these days with event organizers (speedsf, track masters, etc), where the driver just ticks all the boxes "no problems", without inspecting/knowing anything.

When I used to run with bmwcca (over 10 years ago), they used to have tech inspectors check around the car before events for noticeable leaks, pop the hood, check fluids, noticeable issues, loose objects, loose bushings, to the extent they could. Sure it took longer to get out and have fun, but you felt like there was some level of safety net.

That said it's hard to predict when a hose might pop and x fluid spews everywhere, especially on newer cars.

Very sad to see this happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote