BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-07-2010, 03:15:57 PM   #11
mrmaico

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Kid_831 View Post
Need help on this my car is doing this again. Cluster odometer light stays on after I turn off my car and lock it. Installed L.e.d lghts on my rear license plate and notice they also stay on when my cluster light stays on but very dim. Don't think this was the cause not sure what to do I'm tired of disconecting my battery over night. Any one experiensing similar issues?
Did you try removing the led's for the license plate? I thought I read somewhere something about them causing some kind of issue. I also noticed when I installed them that mine stay on dim for a bit after shutdown but there aren't any other issues other than that.
Jump to top mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-08-2010, 07:31:32 AM   #12
M3_Kid_831

United States

Thanks for that ideah, I will take them off since also I have been thinking of doing that. But any other thing I can do about the cluster? This has been going on way before the led lights in the license plate.
Jump to top M3_Kid_831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-22-2012, 12:30:53 AM   #13
harkonnen311

United States

Default Re: light in instrument cluster won't turn off

I had a similar problem where the instrument cluster would not shut down after the car was off. I would also get a "high battery drain" message each morning when I started up the car, however the car never failed to start nor had a dead battery problem. I had the problem look at at the BMW service center. After a week and a half and thousands of dollars spent in diagnostics and labor they came up with a "faulty instrument cluster". The only solution was to replace the instrument cluster at an estimated cost of $1,200 USD. I know that there are places where I can get that same part for half the price but they insisted that it had to be replaced and ordered through them because it needed to be factory programmed to car specs. (current millage etc.) I'm not sure if this is true. isn't the millage stored elsewhere? ECU maybe?
Jump to top harkonnen311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-22-2012, 01:04:56 AM   #14
deadlysyns

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkonnen311 View Post
I had a similar problem where the instrument cluster would not shut down after the car was off. I would also get a "high battery drain" message each morning when I started up the car, however the car never failed to start nor had a dead battery problem. I had the problem look at at the BMW service center. After a week and a half and thousands of dollars spent in diagnostics and labor they came up with a "faulty instrument cluster". The only solution was to replace the instrument cluster at an estimated cost of $1,200 USD. I know that there are places where I can get that same part for half the price but they insisted that it had to be replaced and ordered through them because it needed to be factory programmed to car specs. (current millage etc.) I'm not sure if this is true. isn't the millage stored elsewhere? ECU maybe?
mileage of car is stored in 4 places: ECU, cluster, LCM, and key.
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 03:40:43 AM   #15
netpaddler

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by djminatl View Post
hello everyone! i'm the new proud owner of a 2002 laguna seca blue m3. purchased her yesterday, and already very happy with my decision.

I have two questions for you guys/gals:

1) the light around the clock in the instrument cluster won't turn off after i remove the key from the car. noticed it last night when i parked the car, and thought it might just be normal. when i started the car this morning, the battery was almost dead. is there something i need to do to turn this off? (couldn't find anything after i searched the threads about this specific issue, so sorry ahead of time if it's out there somewhere).
Has anyone an answer to the above question? I have the same issue. Haven't had a problem with battery drain yet but I just noticed it again and thought I'd look it up. I was gone for a week (7 days) and it just parked and had no problem starting it back up. So I doubt it would require a battery now. That said it would be nice to know why this is.
Jump to top netpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-14-2018, 07:24:11 PM   #16
grke36m3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by netpaddler View Post
Has anyone an answer to the above question? I have the same issue. Haven't had a problem with battery drain yet but I just noticed it again and thought I'd look it up. I was gone for a week (7 days) and it just parked and had no problem starting it back up. So I doubt it would require a battery now. That said it would be nice to know why this is.
Any luck? My car does this from time to time.
Jump to top grke36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-14-2018, 08:02:11 PM   #17
PHARMDVIPER

In the garage:

United States

I had the same problem recently and I unhooked the battery for a day....hasnít happened since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top PHARMDVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote