BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jun-14-2017, 04:50:47 PM   #11
cmstrilchuk

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: 2002 e46 m3 post vanos rebuild hesitation at warm start up with video!

I just finished the Beisan Vanos overhaul myself last night. The car starts on first crank, and idles better (with less 'hunting' for rpm) than before. Really sounds like a new car. So if you're experiencing any unusual sounds or issues, they are not normal for a Vanos rebuild. It's always possible the shop did not get the cam re-timing correct on the Vanos installation.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-14-2017, 06:32:01 PM   #12
gum1993

United States

Default Re: 2002 e46 m3 post vanos rebuild hesitation at warm start up with video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstrilchuk View Post
I just finished the Beisan Vanos overhaul myself last night. The car starts on first crank, and idles better (with less 'hunting' for rpm) than before. Really sounds like a new car. So if you're experiencing any unusual sounds or issues, they are not normal for a Vanos rebuild. It's always possible the shop did not get the cam re-timing correct on the Vanos installation.
Congrats! Glad u got that headache out of the way. Yes that's a possibility, but the car runs great right now only problem is the startup. It's really random sometimes it fires up from first crank like it should sometimes it takes longer and sometimes it even takes 2 cranks to start. Would the timing effect the way the car starts without having an effect on how the car drives ?
Jump to top gum1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-14-2017, 07:09:39 PM   #13
cmstrilchuk

In the garage:

Canada

Well, I think the place to start is to diagnose through INPA GT1 type software to make sure everything is within parameters. The shop that did the work ought to be able to do this to check their work post repair.
Random problem might be simple like a loose connector.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old Wed, Jun-14-2017, 08:16:12 PM   #14
gum1993

United States

Quote:
Well, I think the place to start is to diagnose through INPA GT1 type software to make sure everything is within parameters. The shop that did the work ought to be able to do this to check their work post repair.
Random problem might be simple like a loose connector.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ya I'll be taking it back next week if it keeps hesitating here and there. The car was sitting for over a month not driven so I thought it might be dirty fuel or something with the fuel filter etc. We will see. It's just annoying starting the car up in a parking lot with bunch of people and having the car needing 2 cranks to start it's embarrassing haha
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 03:41:30 PM   #15
nervous24

In the garage:

United States

I had a similar issue recently. Start up hesitation not immediately after but somewhat close to my vanos rebuild.

I pulled some codes and had 15 & 185 present. The were synchronization codes so I did some research. I found another member here with the same story, same codes at the same rpm. He rechecked timing and it was fine. I wasn't quite as lucky...

I went to a friend (member Playskool1) to run a DIS Vanos test. It passed the test but with response times on the slower side. We decided to check the timing in the hopes of clearing the codes. While the effort did clear those codes, it wasn't ultimately a success. We booted up DIS and the car does a swan dive to faceplant. It didn't just fail the vanos test, it didn't even complete it. It did come back with a mention of a failing pressure regulating valve (part #11367830341).

Once that was replaced it ran flawlessly. Vanos test results were sparkling and I was able to sleep again.

Good luck with things, OP.
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 03:56:48 PM   #16
forzanerazzurri

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
I second this. Could be a timing issue. My car also had a much smoother idle from day one after the Beisan fix. No issues with starting or rough running that the OP is experiencing.
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 10:47:28 PM   #17
gum1993

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous24 View Post
I had a similar issue recently. Start up hesitation not immediately after but somewhat close to my vanos rebuild.

I pulled some codes and had 15 & 185 present. The were synchronization codes so I did some research. I found another member here with the same story, same codes at the same rpm. He rechecked timing and it was fine. I wasn't quite as lucky...

I went to a friend (member Playskool1) to run a DIS Vanos test. It passed the test but with response times on the slower side. We decided to check the timing in the hopes of clearing the codes. While the effort did clear those codes, it wasn't ultimately a success. We booted up DIS and the car does a swan dive to faceplant. It didn't just fail the vanos test, it didn't even complete it. It did come back with a mention of a failing pressure regulating valve (part #11367830341).

Once that was replaced it ran flawlessly. Vanos test results were sparkling and I was able to sleep again.

Good luck with things, OP.
Hmm interesting, that's good to know! I'll prob show this to the shop when i drop it off. What caused the pressure regulator valve to fail? Was it just installed wrong or was it caused just by coincidence?
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 10:51:00 PM   #18
gum1993

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
I second this. Could be a timing issue. My car also had a much smoother idle from day one after the Beisan fix. No issues with starting or rough running that the OP is experiencing.
Tbh I don't know if I'm being picky or just a placebo effect but the car does not feel smoother, it actually feels weird. It doesn't feel the same, it's hard to explain but it not a good feeling. Car has the power and response that it always had but I feel the engine is more noisy and weird. Not smooth at all.
Old Fri, Jun-16-2017, 03:37:45 AM   #19
Jfbsaratoga

United States

I've timed my engine more times than I would like to admit. I've done both the beisan way and the shadow way. It is relatively easy to screw up. I'll bet you that your intake side is retarded and barely hitting the window for the car to run. It's just a guess but I would make sure that the shop timed it properly. Ask them to show you the timing tool.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Jump to top Jfbsaratoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-16-2017, 12:12:36 PM   #20
gum1993

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfbsaratoga View Post
I've timed my engine more times than I would like to admit. I've done both the beisan way and the shadow way. It is relatively easy to screw up. I'll bet you that your intake side is retarded and barely hitting the window for the car to run. It's just a guess but I would make sure that the shop timed it properly. Ask them to show you the timing tool.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Ok thanks for ur input. If they got the timing of the engine wrong is it bad to drive the car? I mean the car runs fine and I've been driving it to work. Hope that doesn't damage anything.