BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, May-04-2017, 02:34:01 PM   #31
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Default Re: M3 values

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
I went with the SMG optioned M3 route. For a decent price because of SMG I got exactly what I wanted.

- Lower miles, 56,xxx
- Slicktop
- Manual seats
- White color

I have since swapped the SMG to manual. It cost me a bit more to swap because I deleted everything that was SMG and installed the clutch switch by wiring it pin to pin, no soldering.

I still do think about looking for a factory manual M3 but I doubt it will every happen because I will not be able to get the exact package I have right now.
Why? I don't get this at all. A properly swapped car is identical in feel and function to a factory manual (I've owned both - identical). The only difference is the lack of authenticity and selling your beautiful example over that is, well, a bit irrational..... unless your swap was not done properly.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 02:39:46 PM   #32
pawa_k2001
Track Junkie

In the garage:

Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I could see the E9x going either way. On one hand it has more comfort refinement and tech. On the other hand, it's the last N/A M3 with hydraulic steering. And it being the only V8 M3 might attract some value to.
I personally think E9x M3s will be worth more.

- Last n/a motorsport engine
- Motorsport engine that was used and won in top classes
- Last of hydraulic steering
- 8400 rpms V8 engine

I have been thinking of getting a E92 M3 but I like the styling of the E46 M3 more. Who knows, maybe there will be a E92 in my garage someday. Manual, carbon roof and ZCP.

Suspension: AST 4100 GTS Suspension, Vorshlag camber plates, Mason front strut bar
Engine: Evolve R Software, Status Gruppe SCZA exhaust
Exterior: Status Gruppe front valance
Brakes: Bimmerworld brake stiffener kit
Wheels: Apex ARC-8 18x9.5" W/ Dunlop Star Spec tires 275/35/18
Jump to top pawa_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 02:42:47 PM   #33
pawa_k2001
Track Junkie

In the garage:

Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Why? I don't get this at all. A properly swapped car is identical in feel and function to a factory manual (I've owned both - identical). The only difference is the lack of authenticity and selling your beautiful example over that is, well, a bit irrational..... unless your swap was not done properly.
I am a perfectionist. Swapped is swapped even if it's better done than any other. The vin still says SMG.

I am on my 3rd E46 M3 and the previous 2 were original manual, there is no difference in mine except for the vin.

Yes, it is irrational.

Suspension: AST 4100 GTS Suspension, Vorshlag camber plates, Mason front strut bar
Engine: Evolve R Software, Status Gruppe SCZA exhaust
Exterior: Status Gruppe front valance
Brakes: Bimmerworld brake stiffener kit
Wheels: Apex ARC-8 18x9.5" W/ Dunlop Star Spec tires 275/35/18
Jump to top pawa_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 02:50:24 PM   #34
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
I am a perfectionist. Swapped is swapped even if it's better done than any other. The vin still says SMG.

I am on my 3rd E46 M3 and the previous 2 were original manual, there is no difference in mine except for the vin.

Yes, it is irrational.
Awesome - so long as we're candid.

I'm hopelessly irrational with these cars sometimes but lately I'm trying not to let that take me off the deep end financially

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 03:23:35 PM   #35
crisis1231

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

- 8400 rpms V8 engine

I have been thinking of getting a E92 M3 but I like the styling of the E46 M3 more. Who knows, maybe there will be a E92 in my garage someday. Manual, carbon roof and ZCP.
e9x will be worth more imo. But it is going to depreciate a lot more and it is going to take a longer time to appreciate. Every time a new m3 comes out everyone jumps on board the older models and praises their glory. Eventually people are going to look back at the e9x as a revolutionary m3 being the last naturally aspirated m3 and a v8. In addition, the e46 will presumably appreciate due to it being the last naturally aspirated inline 6.
Jump to top crisis1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 03:57:11 PM   #36
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

- 8400 rpms V8 engine

Yeah I've been thinking about an E9x on and off. I think if I sold all my mods separately and then sold my car as mostly stock, I wouldn't have to put too much money on top to get one.

I just wasn't super impressed when I test drove one. If I didn't own my E46 I probably would have bought one, but otherwise I just don't feel like I'm gaining enough. I actually found the F8x to be much more exciting despite it being a newer, more "digital" car - that's something I'd sell my E46 for in an instant if I had enough cash lying around to make up the difference.
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 04:21:12 PM   #37
RedOctober330

United States

Thanks for this thread; it's really helpful. I hadn't even though about the SMG-Manual swap, but didn't know it was only around $3,000.

Everything I've read says the 6MT is such a better driving experience and more enjoyable so I've been holding out for a 6MT where the mileage isn't THAT high (trying not to go higher than 125k).

I've currently got a 330i and have for a long time wanted an M car.....just wondering if I should jump at the SMG or wait for the 6MT. It may see some track time as well so I'm still back and forth about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top RedOctober330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 04:42:03 PM   #38
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober330 View Post
Thanks for this thread; it's really helpful. I hadn't even though about the SMG-Manual swap, but didn't know it was only around $3,000.

Everything I've read says the 6MT is such a better driving experience and more enjoyable so I've been holding out for a 6MT where the mileage isn't THAT high (trying not to go higher than 125k).

I've currently got a 330i and have for a long time wanted an M car.....just wondering if I should jump at the SMG or wait for the 6MT. It may see some track time as well so I'm still back and forth about it.

SMG encompasses half the issues that these cars have and all of the issues that can not be permanently fixed via aftermarket upgrades.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 04:57:05 PM   #39
RedOctober330

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
SMG encompasses half the issues that these cars have and all of the issues that can not be permanently fixed via aftermarket upgrades.

And THAT is why I don't want an SMG. I'm not spending $30,000 on one with 50k miles just so I can enjoy the car for a year before the SMG pump implodes.

Jump to top RedOctober330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 08:40:09 PM   #40
akagc

United States

Just like the stock market, everything is about information, timing, and patience. You just have to be ready; and by that I mean this: don't worry about what they are going for now if you are not ready. Continue to do your research and determine how much you'd be willing to spend on examples with various criteria, and have your cash in hand so you can be ready to pull the trigger if the right car pops up when your financial situation permits.

Also plan to save at least 5-10k on top of your budget for the car to fix or refresh things right away if you are not buying a unicorn / garage queen. Cosmetic / engine maintenance work to refresh everything can add up quick on M3s esp if there are undisclosed issues.

As an example, I purchased my fully loaded 06 sg 6mt zcp a little over 2 years ago for $22.5k. PO wanted 25k. I inspected the car knowing what to look for (after months of research) and found things I felt he could knock $ off the price that I would need to fix up myself. Cash in hand, in person helped the negotiation.

The car had 66k on the clock. Great condition, documented maintenance history but had worn items and typical wear and tear stuff + maintenance items due. As all M3 owners do, I took everything apart to inspect, clean, and replace almost everything I could with new oem parts. In all, I think spent 6-7k to refresh everything, it can be said that I spent about 30k incl tax on the car after it was all said and done.

My only problem now is I enjoy looking at it way more than I drive it because I got caught up with all the appreciation stuff instead of driving it... has about 68k miles now (2000 since purchase) in 2 years.

The next m3 I buy (another E46 or maybe F80) will definitely be in the cheaper price / higher mileage range, and in less of a pristine condition so it can be driven an enjoyed more... can't take these things to the grave.

Good luck.

Last edited by akagc; Thu, Jun-15-2017 at 10:32:04 PM.
Jump to top akagc is offline   Reply With Quote