BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-03-2017, 12:07:43 PM   #21
crisis1231

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: M3 values

I never thought of that but thank you everyone for your input!
It seems to be that I have two reasonable options:

1. Wait for a good deal to come up and capitalize (which they have but I have not capitalized on them)

2. Find decent color combo even if it is SMG and get it converted.

Anyone know the typical price of a conversion? I know transmissions are the same.
Jump to top crisis1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 12:41:24 PM   #22
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis1231 View Post
I never thought of that but thank you everyone for your input!
It seems to be that I have two reasonable options:

1. Wait for a good deal to come up and capitalize (which they have but I have not capitalized on them)

2. Find decent color combo even if it is SMG and get it converted.

Anyone know the typical price of a conversion? I know transmissions are the same.
DIYing it requires about $900 in parts, but you can sell your SMG pump (if still working) to offset that.

Paying a shop... I'd expect ~$3000. You'll have to find a shop that knows what they're doing.

Paying a forum member-- somewhere between the two.

Possible downside: I doubt you'll create a car with 6mt resale value, though you should be ahead of SMG resale value (probably).

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 02:34:59 PM   #23
Kcalhoun27

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
While I agree to some extent, I am not seeing a correlation between maintenance history and the crazy pricing we're seeing these days. Rather, it seems to me that people are getting a little stupid over things like slick top, certain color combos, ZCP and trans option (I get this last one but remember that a top-tier swap is ~3600 all in with new clutch, etc., so.....).

Take two cars, both with 90k miles, same overall condition (nice).

One car is run of the mill SMG coupe, nothing 'special', but has excellent maintenance history.

Second car is ZCP, manual, slick top and cinn interior but has spotty maintenance history.

I guarantee that the second car will pull minimum $10k more than the first and could quite plausibly require more out-of-pocket after purchase.

Point is: be careful what you're paying 'extra' for. Don't get caught up in all the "it's rare and special" hype - that's fool's gold. The truth is, we buy these cars to "drive" them and once sorted they all drive the same.
I agree with you there. I think i misread the OP because i was aiming my thoughts more at his last statement, which was that he wasnt in the correct finacial state to buy one. So my thought process went more to which would be easier to afford, which i do not believe was the question that was asked. I definitely think that my car (oxford green/black, 6 speed, with obvious mx requirements) would have been a hard sell, even if it was lsb. But then again, i wouldve paid top dollar for a wrecked techno violet if it was even possibly rebuilable, so i suppose it really is a person by person thing
Jump to top Kcalhoun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 06:14:42 PM   #24
crisis1231

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
I agree with you there. I think i misread the OP because i was aiming my thoughts more at his last statement, which was that he wasnt in the correct finacial state to buy one. So my thought process went more to which would be easier to afford, which i do not believe was the question that was asked. I definitely think that my car (oxford green/black, 6 speed, with obvious mx requirements) would have been a hard sell, even if it was lsb. But then again, i wouldve paid top dollar for a wrecked techno violet if it was even possibly rebuilable, so i suppose it really is a person by person thing
Yeah the thing is I do want a 6spd manual, but the real thing thats going on is these cars are going for crazy prices just because it is a manual. I would not be looking for a unicorn, I just worry by the time I can buy one they are going to be blown even more out of proportion.

It takes time to become a classic or a collector car, but it looks like with the prices everyone is posting the e46 m3 may reach collector prices even sooner than anticipated. At least for the 6spd manual and especially for ZCP slick top etc.
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 06:28:04 PM   #25
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

As someone who did it, get an SMG car and convert it.

Allowed me to get a 50k mile, slicktop, ZCP, Interlagos/Cinn for a much more reasonable price.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 06:32:24 PM   #26
Mr. Wolfe
Anti-Bling

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis1231 View Post
Yeah the thing is I do want a 6spd manual, but the real thing thats going on is these cars are going for crazy prices just because it is a manual. I would not be looking for a unicorn, I just worry by the time I can buy one they are going to be blown even more out of proportion.

It takes time to become a classic or a collector car, but it looks like with the prices everyone is posting the e46 m3 may reach collector prices even sooner than anticipated. At least for the 6spd manual and especially for ZCP slick top etc.
It's not so much the "collector's car" aspect of it. People just want the experience of early 90's to early 00's sports cars. This is the pinnacle for many enthusiasts. Just look at the e30M, NSX, Supra, Porsche prices, and the list goes on. Every new car is less analog and different.

Personally, I would guess you have another 5 years to buy a non-POS M3 in the high teens/low $20's. Most of these M3's will have over 100k miles, normal colors, etc.

Mr. Wolfe

2006 Interlagos/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT
1987 Turquoise Green / Imola Red 325is Mtech1 w/ M62 V8 Swap
2003 Alpine/Cinnamon ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
2003 Steel Gray/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
Jump to top Mr. Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 12:34:03 PM   #27
crisis1231

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
It's not so much the "collector's car" aspect of it. People just want the experience of early 90's to early 00's sports cars. This is the pinnacle for many enthusiasts. Just look at the e30M, NSX, Supra, Porsche prices, and the list goes on. Every new car is less analog and different.

Personally, I would guess you have another 5 years to buy a non-POS M3 in the high teens/low $20's. Most of these M3's will have over 100k miles, normal colors, etc.

Mr. Wolfe
You're right. Everyone wants the raw driving experience that all the computers nowadays have taken away. Regardless I think it is still possible to get a decent condition one for about 15k within the next couple of years. I have seen a bunch going for that price roughly but they get sold almost immediately. I just got to be patient and capitalize when I do have sufficient funds.
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 01:28:06 PM   #28
pawa_k2001
Track Junkie

In the garage:

Ukraine

I went with the SMG optioned M3 route. For a decent price because of SMG I got exactly what I wanted.

- Lower miles, 56,xxx
- Slicktop
- Manual seats
- White color

I have since swapped the SMG to manual. It cost me a bit more to swap because I deleted everything that was SMG and installed the clutch switch by wiring it pin to pin, no soldering.

I still do think about looking for a factory manual M3 but I doubt it will every happen because I will not be able to get the exact package I have right now.

Suspension: AST 4100 GTS Suspension, Vorshlag camber plates, Mason front strut bar
Engine: Evolve R Software, Status Gruppe SCZA exhaust
Exterior: Status Gruppe front valance
Brakes: Bimmerworld brake stiffener kit
Wheels: Apex ARC-8 18x9.5" W/ Dunlop Star Spec tires 275/35/18
Jump to top pawa_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 01:59:48 PM   #29
crisis1231

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
I went with the SMG optioned M3 route. For a decent price because of SMG I got exactly what I wanted.

- Lower miles, 56,xxx
- Slicktop
- Manual seats
- White color

I have since swapped the SMG to manual. It cost me a bit more to swap because I deleted everything that was SMG and installed the clutch switch by wiring it pin to pin, no soldering.

I still do think about looking for a factory manual M3 but I doubt it will every happen because I will not be able to get the exact package I have right now.

Thank you for sharing! You're car looks very nice. Alpine white is such a nice color. I definitely think you are right though about buying a 6spd alpine white. It will definitely cost a crazy price especially with that kind of mileage.
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 02:16:00 PM   #30
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I think the e9XM will end up cheaper than the e46M eventually. What it has the people prefer over the e46 (comfort, refinement, tech) are not things that make for a special driving experience in your older car.
I could see the E9x going either way. On one hand it has more comfort refinement and tech. On the other hand, it's the last N/A M3 with hydraulic steering. And it being the only V8 M3 might attract some value to.