BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, May-02-2017, 08:28:00 PM   #11
advan24r
LSBeasT

Taiwan

Default Re: M3 values

I have tested the waters on mine a couple months ago since I was tempted to sell it to move into a SUV...but everyone I've spoken to has convinced me to keep it. The e46 especially in LSB would become a collector piece imo.

'02 LSB M3..original owner with 82k miles...I threw a price out there of $25k and was getting alot of bites. Like everyone says, it's a matter of keeping it nice and maintained to fetch that pretty penny. Also, finding one that's original owner kept is what most used car buyers prefer.
Jump to top advan24r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 08:30:36 PM   #12
sergbaja5t
Uncle Grandpa

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Nice ones have already been going up for ~2 years. Not nice ones seem to have bottomed out, but I don't see them going up any time soon.

But, we'll see. Cars are getting more and more dissimilar to it, so if this experience is what you want... this is what you have to get. I'm pretty sure that's why the whole sporty car from yesteryear market is on the rise.

I think the e9XM will end up cheaper than the e46M eventually. What it has the people prefer over the e46 (comfort, refinement, tech) are not things that make for a special driving experience in your older car.
You touched the reason the e46 M will beat out the E9x. Just like cd to records, digital to analog. The 46 has just enough tech to keep one happy and not feel like you in a 70's model car. The e9x has in my opinion has to much tech that will keep the true enthusiast away.
2002 StahlGrau MET/Schwarz M3 6spd AA headers, Supersprint x-pipe, AA Gen 4 sec3, Besian hub and seals, Turbotoy hardware, Rouge Engineering Vanos & Coolant pipe, Arp studded, H&R/ST/Bilstein coilovers, M220 19's. S54 timing tool w/ two guide pins**FOR RENT** Atlanta valve adjustment service(ask about rates)! Simple coding & DME scanning (Atlanta area)
Jump to top sergbaja5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 08:35:40 PM   #13
crisis1231

In the garage:

United States

Everyone brings up solid points. There are a bunch of part out e46s so getting used parts may not be an issue. I guess I just have to wait and see if the price goes down on these. seeing the price difference though between the 6spd and SMG is insane though. From what it seems like the SMG has followed a typical depreciation course but the manual one just seems like it's getting more expensive. It also could be that reasonable deals just get snatched up too quickly. Either way all I'm saying is that it seems crazy to see any e46 m3 (not CSL) be worth 50k+ at this point.
Also almost used student loans to buy one a few months ago but I let my brain do the thinking instead of my heart.
Jump to top crisis1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 09:48:17 PM   #14
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by divedoc View Post
Just my opinion here...when it comes to older high-performance cars like this, you will find some very clean/special examples selling for big bucks, sky's the limit. Then you'll find a bunch of solid cars, maybe not perfect but 8-9/10, that center around a general price range. And then you'll find the cars that list for much lower prices.

If you're looking for a good car that you intend to drive, expect to spend in the mid-teens for a car with 100k on the clock, and expect to pump some more money into it for the inevitable maintenance and oh-crap repairs that will happen in the first several months. If you spend less on the purchase, expect to spend more to keep it up; if you spend more up front, expect to spend less. But in general you will probably spend the same total amount, probably up to $20k (maybe less depending on 6MT vs SMG, convertible vs coupe, color combos).

If you see a car listed for, say, $10k or less, be VERY careful. You may be really lucky, but most likely you're about to buy a car that will need well over $20k total by the time you're done. And if you're unlucky, you're looking at car with serious problems that are either undisclosed or just being ignored, and you'll end up hating life (or at least your new car).

Look around this forum, see what some of these cars are selling for, and ask yourself if you can afford all of the related costs. There's a sales tracking thread that should help you decide how much is a reasonable price for the kind of car you want.

There's no telling whether or when E46 M3 prices will go up. The super-clean, low mileage unicorn cars are already fetching high prices, while the solid cars are holding steady, maybe ticking up a bit. I kind of doubt they'll end up following the E30 M3's trajectory, but one never knows. I would base my purchase decision on what's going on right now, and what you can afford right now. For sure they're less expensive than E90x cars, and will be for some time.
Completely agree with all of this, and, well said. I appreciate your level-headed style.

I would add that the solid, mid-teens car is far and away the best value, today, as I firmly do not believe that spending a lot more up front necessarily excludes you from pouring more money into the car, see below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
Its a simple equation: how much do You have to spend?
The car is going to cost you money. The more of a mechanics special you get, the more of a mechanic you have to be. Does spending 25k now to (presumably) not have to spend the money on maintenance over a 10k car that needs 15k in maintenance make sense for you? In my case, that was exactly what i wanted. I searched for a project that i expected to spend a fair amount of time and money on. And so far thats wht ive got. I spent 9k on a car ive been able to drive exactly once before the entire rear end was removed and ive been slowly rebuilding it since then.
If you want a car to drive now, youll have to spend drive now money

In either case, good luck!
While I agree to some extent, I am not seeing a correlation between maintenance history and the crazy pricing we're seeing these days. Rather, it seems to me that people are getting a little stupid over things like slick top, certain color combos, ZCP and trans option (I get this last one but remember that a top-tier swap is ~3600 all in with new clutch, etc., so.....).

Take two cars, both with 90k miles, same overall condition (nice).

One car is run of the mill SMG coupe, nothing 'special', but has excellent maintenance history.

Second car is ZCP, manual, slick top and cinn interior but has spotty maintenance history.

I guarantee that the second car will pull minimum $10k more than the first and could quite plausibly require more out-of-pocket after purchase.

Point is: be careful what you're paying 'extra' for. Don't get caught up in all the "it's rare and special" hype - that's fool's gold. The truth is, we buy these cars to "drive" them and once sorted they all drive the same.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Tue, May-02-2017 at 09:53:12 PM.
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 11:34:23 PM   #15
crisis1231

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post

While I agree to some extent, I am not seeing a correlation between maintenance history and the crazy pricing we're seeing these days. Rather, it seems to me that people are getting a little stupid over things like slick top, certain color combos, ZCP and trans option (I get this last one but remember that a top-tier swap is ~3600 all in with new clutch, etc., so.....).

Take two cars, both with 90k miles, same overall condition (nice).

One car is run of the mill SMG coupe, nothing 'special', but has excellent maintenance history.

Second car is ZCP, manual, slick top and cinn interior but has spotty maintenance history.

I guarantee that the second car will pull minimum $10k more than the first and could quite plausibly require more out-of-pocket after purchase.

Point is: be careful what you're paying 'extra' for. Don't get caught up in all the "it's rare and special" hype - that's fool's gold. The truth is, we buy these cars to "drive" them and once sorted they all drive the same.
THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT! Thank you very much for responding. I thought I was the only one who thought this! While ZCP, manual is ideally what I would like I think it is more of a hype situation at this point that is driving these crazy prices. I am seeing SMG being sold for KBB value or less and as soon as its the same car same everything but manual, it is minimum 4-5k more.
I guess what I am wondering is will this hype die down by the time I have steady enough income to drive one.
Jump to top crisis1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 11:46:35 PM   #16
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis1231 View Post
THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT! Thank you very much for responding. I thought I was the only one who thought this! While ZCP, manual is ideally what I would like I think it is more of a hype situation at this point that is driving these crazy prices. I am seeing SMG being sold for KBB value or less and as soon as its the same car same everything but manual, it is minimum 4-5k more.
I guess what I am wondering is will this hype die down by the time I have steady enough income to drive one.
So just get an smg sunroof grey interior pre 03.5 in a boring color

This type of price disparity increases as cars get older-- I wouldn't expect it to die down.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Wed, May-03-2017 at 12:21:53 AM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 12:18:27 AM   #17
e46lsb

In the garage:

United States

Supply and demand. A car that is highly sought after for color and rare optioned will always demand more.
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 01:15:48 AM   #18
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
It will only get worse. But I think there will be, for a long time, a large mid-pack segment in the teens, even manuals in the non-exotic color combos - plenty of very nice cars to choose from without over paying. Non-zcp, sunroof, black interior.....plenty. And by including SMG cars you at least double the sample size and drop the entrance price dramatically. Then 6MT swap it and be, likely, ahead of the same car but manual from a price point.

By choosing not to over pay for one doesn't mean you're settling or somehow getting less of a car. It just means you're getting a car that only a very small number of people (other 46 enthusiasts) would be less excited about. If you want to overpay for exotic, great, but it is simply not necessary to get a nice/attractive/solid car.

Edit - I'm thinking the E9X Ms in manual will be even worse because no swap.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Wed, May-03-2017 at 01:45:37 AM.
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 01:27:54 AM   #19
suaveflooder

United States

Quote:
The "waiting for a manual" idea is soooo foolish with all we know about these cars now. Eric nailed it on the head. SMG cars will be cheaper almost 100% of the time and the price is so negligible for the swap. Considering that these cars are still maintained at a $50k-$60k value, if you can't justify the cost of swapping the transmission to a stick manual because it costs too much, you really won't be able to afford maintaining the car.....let alone be able to afford to swap the trunk floor WHEN it rips itself from the car.

I can totally see waiting it out for a color combo you want (I wouldn't settle for anything but a slick top and white, silver grey or red), but mileage on a maintained car is negligible to a pretty good extent (lots of higher mileage cars running around with ZERO issues), and transmission should be completely left out of the equation.
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 11:46:43 AM   #20
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

^agreed.

If I were in the market for an e46 M3, I'd likely start with an SMG car (and immediately convert it to 6mt). It opens up a much larger pool of cars that is less picked over, and decreases the purchase price by far more than the conversion costs.

My best friend and brother did just that

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote