BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 07:37:30 AM   #1
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Post CMP Auto Engineering subframe kit

Good afternoon,

Some of you may have seen me posting on Facebook announcing the release of the CMP subframe kit?

it is a design I have been working in my free time for over a year now with consultation with other mechanical engineers. Due to all the interest I was receiving from E46 owners I decided to invest some extra time and turn it into a kit available to the public.

The kit is designed to massively reinforce the rear two of four subframe mounts to prevent any future failures as well as provide a substantial increase in chassis rigidity without being excessively intrusive on the boot cavity.

We have had a few sales already here in Australia so I thought I would take the time to post on the forums to see if the broader M3 community was interested. Based on feedback, the kit gives the back end a more direct and responsive sensation.

I myself am a mechanical engineer / E46 enthusiast who works in the steel industry for a company that makes residential & commercial steel foundations and thus have connections to laser cutters, machinists etc however, I am not associated with body shops or workshops.

The kit consists of 11 laser cut pieces from plate, RHS (rectangle hollow section) and tube + custom bolts and nuts as well as some basic hardware in order to extend the bolt holes without damaging the factory thread.

Attached is a photo of the kit loosely fitted after the sheet metal was removed.

This kit is DIY friendly and only requires the boot trim and a single piece of sheet metal to be removed and can be done on all four wheels.

We have some information available on our webpage (linked below) in the technical section as to why we believe the rear axle carrier panel (better known as the subframe) fails and a brief analysis of the forces experienced and how such stresses are supported.

http://cmpautoengineering.com/technical/

As discussed in our "why we Developed our Kit", this kit was created due to post repair plate failures occurring.
At the time the underside repair was done, the manufactures of such plates did not recommend things like stitch welding the wheel arch join, boot floor to chassis rails or the tops of the front mounts.

All parts are designed using 3D CAD software for pre-determined fitment and precision laser cut and bent using a CNC brake press plate bender for consistency.
The holes cut in the plates align with factory welds for ideal joining and should offer unparalleled chassis rigidity and load distribution.

We currently have a 10% off sale on that ends shortly and if you would like to, please like our facebook page for more updates on this and future products.

https://www.facebook.com/cmpauto/

We would love some feedback on our analysis or if you have any questions we are open to discussing further. We are also available via Email or facebook messenger.

Last edited by AussieE46M3; Wed, May-24-2017 at 12:42:33 AM.
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 08:22:00 AM   #2
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: CMP Auto Engineering subframe kit

The RACP is not "better known as the subframe," despite commonly being incorrectly called the subframe.

It's good to see products like this emerge for our cars even there are already a couple of similar solutions available (i.e., Vince & Mason). I would recommend re-tooling your product to not require welding as the other solutions do which may make it more attractive. As an example, if I'm going to have to go to the work of welding or hiring someone to weld, I may as well source my own stock and make my own brace to weld in. The attractiveness of the other solutions is that they rivet or bolt in.

Are you already working on solutions for the front two mounts?

-Evolve-R alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox eVenturi Scoop Euro Headers|sect 1 Besian D/A pullies/fan delete WPC rod bearings
-TMS Camber & Subf plates RE Street Trans Mounts AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs
-BMW Motorsport 4.10 OE CSL trunk APEX 75mm Studs Sportline 8S 18x8.5/9.5" PSS 245/275 ss brake/clutch lines
-Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 PPI 1600.4 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"

Last edited by TboneM3; Sat, Jan-07-2017 at 08:28:15 AM.
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 08:35:28 AM   #3
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

I agree, it was poor grammar on my behalf. It was intended to read as what the general public call it even though it is technically the rear axle carrier panel.

Thank you. Other Australians also like having a local option.

We are familiar with those solutions.

We've added a few design considerations and increased vertical cross section across the entire rear 'subframe' member between the chassis legs rather than pick up point loads for a greater increase in localised chassis rigidity.
A more in depth explanation will be provided on our technical section soon.

We in fact are. We've devised a method that will not compromise the rear seats and will likely be incorporated into an underside repair plate system.

we will be determining whether it's feasible or not and develop a design in the coming months.

Last edited by AussieE46M3; Sat, Jan-07-2017 at 09:36:57 AM.
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 10:02:45 AM   #4
STAATS

In the garage:

Australia

Good work man. it's good to see some of this stuff become locally available in Australia... finally...

TBH I personally still prefer the Redish Motorsport Rear subframe reinforcement kit just because it is hidden and if I have to hire a welder anyway... I got ahead of mine with the Redish kit before any cracks or any signs of wear were occurring, but as I look to get mine back on the road (engine issues not subframe...) and then out to the track I would consider this as an additional insurance measure especially considering I am looking to go to quite a stiff track/street suspension with a KW Clubsport set.

Are you looking at a solution to the Front subframe... although it is less of a concern I am yet to look at or remedy this area... I was looking at the Turner Motorsport kit but if there is something more homegrown...

Last edited by STAATS; Sat, Jan-07-2017 at 10:05:12 AM. Reason: Mistake regarding front two rear subframe mounts vs Front subframe mounts
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 10:14:31 AM   #5
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

wow nice stuff
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box pending
357.7 whp 283.5 wtq
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 10:17:48 AM   #6
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Hi Mate,

When you say the reddish kit are you referring to the underside repair plates?

I had those on my M3. Even with plates there's too much stress on the wheel arch join. Mine popped and the first spot weld in the boot floor let go so I soon after started designing a kit that lead to this.

I still recommend underside plates as the fronts are prone to failure. I suspect due to the lips on the stock bushings applying too much force on too small an area directly atop the spot welds often causing crack initiation.

I believe it is still necessary to have some plate method underneath on the front mounts and if you're doing plates on the front you will need plates on the back to maintain geometry.

This kit is designed to relieve stress on the wheel arch join, add rigidity to the rear axle carrier and link it directly to the chassis rails through the rectangle member on chassis rail reinforcing plates for ideal load distribution.
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 11:27:43 AM   #7
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Good work on bringing another product to the market for our Subframes. PM Me price as I might need one asap. Thanks.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 11:42:02 AM   #8
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Thank you for your support.

Our kit is $595 AUD however, we have a 10% sale on that ends in just over 24 hours.

If you buy soon the kit can be had for $535 AUD + Shipping. (free shipping within AUS).

We do ship globally. There's a shipping calculator on our webpage if you'd like to give it a go.

http://cmpautoengineering.com/produc...-frame-system/

I'm sure we'll have sales in future if you'd like to follow us on Facebook. We'll be posting regular updates on there.

https://www.facebook.com/cmpauto/
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 12:38:08 AM   #9
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
I would recommend re-tooling your product to not require welding as the other solutions do which may make it more attractive. As an example, if I'm going to have to go to the work of welding or hiring someone to weld, I may as well source my own stock and make my own brace to weld in. The attractiveness of the other solutions is that they rivet or bolt in.
Hi Tbone,

I must have missed that part. Was late over here at the time.

I understand the appeal of a simple drop in solution however, anything less than welding would compromise the performance of the kit as well as the design cannot be pre-fabricated as it requires welding to the vehicle in a set sequence.

The welding itself isn’t substantial. The prep is the most time consuming aspect of the installation. We have made the kit as DIY friendly as possible to minimise costs.

This kit isn't a brace or bolt in system like many available. We see it as re-engineering the chassis design. It's a permanent solution that adds rigidity across the entirety of the factory design rather than supporting selective point loads.
Where it does link up with original chassis members, the welds overlap pre-existing spot welds and plug welds within a 0.5mm tolerance to support forces where applied and then distributes them through the links between structural members.

Many before have made their own kits based on what they've seen on the net. I understand that cost can be a major factor for some and should they have the skills and facilities they can produce something of resemblance to the original.

Although functional, doing so can be time consuming to produce and generally lacks the fitment and quality of precision engineered and formed components. I pursued this approach and put in several hundred hours as I wouldn’t accept anything less in my vehicle.
This gained the interest of others so I decided to offer the same system to the public.
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 02:02:04 AM   #10
TMSNYC

In the garage:

United States

Can you provide a copy of the installation instructions? Its unclear from the limited photos what's involved with this installation.
Jump to top TMSNYC is offline   Reply With Quote