BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Aug-26-2015, 04:00:58 PM   #21
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Default Re: Has anyone else experienced leaking BW/C&R oil cooler?

^Is it heavier than the stock oil cooler?
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Jump to top GrendelsbaneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-26-2015, 06:05:22 PM   #22
Braymond141

United States

Much much heavier than stock. I was shocked with the weight of it, but expected some as it is larger. I wasn't impressed with it being painted silver either, especially when the CSF Radiator is unecessarily hand finished to a high polish.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts

Last edited by Braymond141; Sat, Aug-29-2015 at 06:59:22 PM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-27-2015, 04:37:05 AM   #23
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

If you're worried about the weight of the oil cooler, put the fork down at the dinner table earlier for a few weeks. Problem solved...

I'll take a heavier oil cooler that doesn't leak after 14k miles, unlike my C&R oil cooler...

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-27-2015, 07:52:55 AM   #24
VinceSE2
FKA VinceSE

In the garage:

Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
If you're worried about the weight of the oil cooler, put the fork down at the dinner table earlier for a few weeks. Problem solved...

I'll take a heavier oil cooler that doesn't leak after 14k miles, unlike my C&R oil cooler...

I'm with you, but I'm a bit concerned about adding extra stress to the plastic end tanks of the OEM radiator. As I recall the oil cooler is hanging from the radiator.

I'm on my way out to install the new oil cooler now. And will have a closer look if I could/should add som extra support or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top VinceSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-27-2015, 08:38:31 AM   #25
Mike RT4

United Kingdom

Hi Vince,
I also had the same problem with mine within a matter of months of fitting (my car is used extensively on track). I only discovered it due to the leak of oil on the garage floor:

Obviously, with it being new, I originally assumed that it was the OE hoses or connections that were faulty, having purchased the cooler believing it to be an upgrade on the standard item. But stripping it off (and putting the OE one back on) and then pressure testing it revealed the exact same failure you are showing.

Luckily it was still under 12 months old, so BW replaced it under warranty (although sending it back due to being in the UK was a bit of a PITA), but since receiving the new one (nearly a year ago), I still haven't swapped it back, fearing that the same thing will occur again.

My reason for posting is to ask if anyone has fitted one that they have had replaced and found that their new one was fine, or will I experience the same issues several months down the line (a bit worrying, as like Vince, I frequent the 'ring regularly, which is a 14 hour round trip, so I would hate to have an event scuppered because of a leaking cooler)?

My original cooler was manufactured in July 2013 according to the serial number (and purchased in September 2013, fitted in October 2013 (where the car was not used for 5 months due to the subframe being done under warranty by BMW and then arriving back in the middle of our winter) and then failed in June 2014 (after less than 1000 miles on the car). The replacement one arrived in November 2014, but sits in the box unopened at present.

So, is there a definitive answer as to the whether the new ones have had the issues resolved (I can soon open the box to look at the serial number and date of manufacture)?
Jump to top Mike RT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-27-2015, 02:20:16 PM   #26
flyweight

United States

For what it is worth my C&R oil cooler leaked heavily too just as others in this forum. C&R is redesigning their oil cooler as we speak. Bimmerworld is going to send me the updated C&R oil cooler when it comes out. Definitely a surprising problem from a company with the reputation of C&R.
Jump to top flyweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-27-2015, 02:36:58 PM   #27
Hacksaw
What broke now?

In the garage:

United States

Bar and plate design is just that much more robust from the taking hard knocks and all. Fragile and light is what the CR design is. Works great for race cars as long as you are inspecting a lot. Consider too that a lot of race cars do not run our front grill and it's usually a screen with tighter openings for debris.

Its one of those things that you need to consider when doing a build, especially for the street with some track use. Track cars see way more times apart getting serviced, changed out, parts swapped etc compared to a street driven car. If you add race parts you kind of need to take what comes with it to some degree.

However, in this case, this does indeed seem flawed. Maybe original design was fine but manufacturing QC has slipped or they changed up a process for the end tanks. Either way glad to hear it is getting some attention by the manufacturer.

I too was surprised this is more common than it should be.

Sub'd for updates to this one.

Good luck guys
Imola Red|Blk Cloth|6MT|FS CSL Custom TUNE -MSS54HP|CSL Replica Airbox|Euro Headers|BimmerWorld 3.5" race front Y and resonator|Hacksaw's custom 3.5" SS exhaust system w/Magnaflow and 4 tipped goodness|SGT SRS Coilover Kit|Evo Sport Performance Pulley Set|CDV Delete|UUC USS & DSSR|Sparco Roadster Seats|StopTech ST-40 BBKs on all 4|Beisan Systems vanos rebuild w/original stock exhaust hub|Kirk 4 point roll bar|CF CSL Rep Trunk|GC Race F/R Sway Bars|TR Motorsports MT-1|Avin Avant 2|Seibon CF GTR Hood

Jump to top Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-27-2015, 03:01:16 PM   #28
Mike RT4

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
For what it is worth my C&R oil cooler leaked heavily too just as others in this forum. C&R is redesigning their oil cooler as we speak. Bimmerworld is going to send me the updated C&R oil cooler when it comes out. Definitely a surprising problem from a company with the reputation of C&R.
This actually really pisses me off, as I have obviously KNOWINGLY been sent out another one that WILL fail within a few months of fitting it. If they knew it was an issue, I would have rather have waited and received the new design one (hence why I was reluctant to fit the new one I was sent and why it still sits in it's unopened box as an expensive paper-weight).

BW / C&R, if you're reading this, I hope you're going to do the right thing and swap out my one for one that won't leak....?
Jump to top Mike RT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-27-2015, 04:14:34 PM   #29
VinceSE2
FKA VinceSE

In the garage:

Sweden

Default Has anyone else experienced leaking BW/C&R oil cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RT4 View Post
This actually really pisses me off, as I have obviously KNOWINGLY been sent out another one that WILL fail within a few months of fitting it. If they knew it was an issue, I would have rather have waited and received the new design one (hence why I was reluctant to fit the new one I was sent and why it still sits in it's unopened box as an expensive paper-weight).

BW / C&R, if you're reading this, I hope you're going to do the right thing and swap out my one for one that won't leak....?

I sincerely hope that C&R will swap your cooler Mike. It should be to your advantage that it is unused.

Old Thu, Aug-27-2015, 04:21:22 PM   #30
VinceSE2
FKA VinceSE

In the garage:

Sweden

I installed the CSF oil cooler today and decided not to ad any additional support as the end tanks seem sturdy.

I did however slightly modify the bracket of the cooler such that it sits a bit further to the front. I did this so the rubber lip sits under the coolers underside (and not against the cooler restricting the air flow.