BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jun-19-2017, 02:43:40 PM   #31
mpower22
CPV O-Ring Guy

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Running hot in higher temp climates

Exactly on point. Regardless if I was on the fences or not about that topic, it's safe to say I'd go with the guy with 33,000 posts

2003 M3Laguna Seca Blue/6MT/Black Leather Cloth Interior/Full [CSL] Exhaust/evolve-R
Original Owner, Custom Built - PDC, Moonroof, Bi-xenons (TFX), Brushed Aluminum Trim, Bluetooth ULF
European - Rotors (F&R), Bumper, Mirrors, Warning Triangle, Console, LSZ, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher
OE LED Conversion/Outer Ring Mod | V1 Hardwired/Ashtray Display | 3M 35% Tint | Intravee II, Diamond H600s, JL 10W3v3, HD900/5
Jump to top mpower22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-19-2017, 02:49:26 PM   #32
RedM3/4

United States

This kind of stuff always gets me going, so my brief research shows:
- Deionized water typically is flowed through resin to remove + ions (Na+, Ca2+), from the pipes (Fe2+, Cu2+); there can be other impurities and residue from the resin itself.
- Distilled water is also deionized.
- Deionized water will become acidic if left open to the atmosphere, as it sucks in ions from CO2 and other sources to find equilibrium. CO2 absorption results in carbonic acid. This doesn't happen instantly, but tells me a bladder or pushing the air out of a plastic milk carton type container are good ideas for storing deionized/distilled water.
- If a cooling system boils and has tap water in it, it is primarily these same compounds that leave crust on the inside.
- These elements removed from deionized or distilled water allow more current flow in tap water; conversely, since the water is in motion, tap water generates some current, which will tend to precipitate out impurities. This is part of the reason you put coolant in, to counteract this activity. There is less concern, therefore with corrosion from deionized water, without antifreeze (not suggesting going without).
- 50/50 mix takes boiling point from water (212) to mix (223). I didn't reseach calculations, but it is generally accepted that water will pull away WAY more heat than coolant. If you want a bunch of facts on this check out Redline water wetter spec pdf. (I'm not a redline fan overall, but this stuff looks good and lots of facts on this sheet - like that in some situations, water only can freeze with AC use in warm temps).

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-19-2017, 05:51:44 PM   #33
Speed Monkey
Bananas, Just Bananas

United States

A few months ago, replaced the coolant with 5 qts of distilled water, 5 qts of factory coolant, installed ActiveAutowerk's sport fan clutch and a new BMW fan. Drove to Reno this past Friday. It was 105+ deg in Sacramento and about 110 deg driving through Placerville on Hwy 80. Had the AC on the whole time. No problems at all; the temp. gauge needle never went past 12:00 o'clock position. For clarification, I had a new genuine BMW radiator installed some years ago, and it's holding up fine; strangely enough, this new radiator cools better than the one the factory installed. Phew!
Jump to top Speed Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-19-2017, 05:55:19 PM   #34
Good

In the garage:

United States

Check your water pump, make sure it is not leaking. I have the same issue, I'm swapping it out this weekend.

2006 BMW /// M3 Competition Package
SG CSL Trunk | CSL Tune | Active Autowerke Headers | Polyurethane Bushings
BuildJournal Stage 3 B-Spec Tune
Jump to top Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-20-2017, 10:00:42 AM   #35
silaciM3CS

This topic emerges every summer. 3/4 is not overheating nor abnormal, especially when going uphill.

Check the manual, normal operating range is between blue and red, and 3/4 is 100C

Still, there are many who never see above 1/2, but they also never changed the upper water temp sensor which can read lower over time. A friend of mine was in this category, never went above 1/2. We tapped another sensor and sure enough his temps were actually higher. He changed his temp sensor and now his needle does go above 1/2 when going uphill.
Jump to top silaciM3CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-20-2017, 12:57:24 PM   #36
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by silaciM3CS View Post
This topic emerges every summer. 3/4 is not overheating nor abnormal, especially when going uphill.

Check the manual, normal operating range is between blue and red, and 3/4 is 100C

Still, there are many who never see above 1/2, but they also never changed the upper water temp sensor which can read lower over time. A friend of mine was in this category, never went above 1/2. We tapped another sensor and sure enough his temps were actually higher. He changed his temp sensor and now his needle does go above 1/2 when going uphill.
I'm sorry, but this is just not correct. I've had three e46 M3s, two from brand new, two of which were tracked. It is not "overheating" (engine damage), but it is abnormal and indicative of a cooling system that is not functioning properly. I've never seen any of them hit the 3/4 mark in any condition.

Including driving through the desert in the summer. Including on track.
(both of which I've done with them)

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: 6mt, RWD, iDrive free, properly maintained e91 (wagon)
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-20-2017, 03:22:36 PM   #37
E46Hoonigan

In the garage:

India

How does 20 coolant/80 water in Georgia sound? Rarely goes below freezing here.
Jump to top E46Hoonigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-20-2017, 03:31:12 PM   #38
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I wouldn't run anything other than 50/50 outside of a dedicated race car with insufficient cooling system capacity.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: 6mt, RWD, iDrive free, properly maintained e91 (wagon)
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-21-2017, 01:55:12 AM   #39
///M3 NA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
If it's over heating in motion, the rad's the problem (assuming you got an OE water pump/thermostat).

If it's overheating at rest, you need a new fan clutch and/or aux fan (start with fan clutch).
This is probably partially true, my rad is fine but was overheating in motion. After fan clutches replaced, no more overheating.

--------------------------
Evolve
Evolve Eventuri
AutoSolutions SSK 30%
RE Transmission Mounts
CDV Delete
Intravee II
Jump to top ///M3 NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-21-2017, 04:19:46 AM   #40
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3 NA View Post
This is probably partially true, my rad is fine but was overheating in motion. After fan clutches replaced, no more overheating.
This is my same issue. Overheating on track. Everything is new except fan clutch (didn't change due to possibility of doing the electric conversion), wondering if new fan clutch will solve the problem.
2004 BMW M3 6MT - TiAg/Gray - B&B TriFlow section 3, AP V2 headers, AST 4200, UUC EVO3 SSK with DSSR, ZHP knob, Orion V4, Matte Black kidney/side grills, 19" VMR CSL reps with 245/35 & 275/30 Continental ExtremeContact DW
Track stuff: Apex ARC-8s in 18x10 ET25 with 275/35/18 Nitto NT01s, Schroth Quick Fits and PFC 08 & 01 Pads
2000 BMW M Roadster 5MT - TiAg/Black - TCK D/A, Lightwerkz Projector Headlights, LeatherZ Interior Bits, BMW Performance Knob, OEM Square 17x9 Roadstars
2014 VW GLI 6MT - Black/Black - APR stage 1 tune, CTS Turbo intake, CTS Turbo 3" downpipe, ST coilovers and Hawk HP Plus pads (for the track)
Past:
2005 BMW 545i Sport 6MT - Silver Gray/Black - Nav, Sport, Cold and Premium
E46 M3 Build Journal

Last edited by silvergray545; Wed, Jun-21-2017 at 04:38:02 AM.
Jump to top silvergray545 is offline   Reply With Quote