BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jun-15-2015, 04:28:36 PM   #11
DirtyEtzio

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Running hot in higher temp climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
3/4 of the gauge is not overheating. However, you need 50/50 mix, maybe even 80 coolant/ 20 water. You may also be needing a new radiator depending on your mileage.. assuming you've checked the fan clutch?
This is simply not true. Water absorbs more heat per unit than antifreeze. If you live in a climate where freezing is not an issue, you can easily run a 80/20 water to antifreeze ratio and realize some extra benefit in cooling over 50/50. In fact, if you live in a temperate climate where freezing is never an issue, you could safely run 100% water, from a cooling perspective. Though having some antifreeze in the mix is important for lubrication and corrosion prevention.

By way of explanation, the specific heat capacity of water is 1 BTU/lb/degree F. That means it takes 1 BTU of heat energy to raise the temperature of one pound of water one degree F. For comparison, the specific heat capacity of ethylene glycol is 0.58 BTU/lb/degree F. The specific heat of a 50/50 mixture of water and ethylene glycol is 0.815 BTU/lb/degree F at 80 degrees F.
Jump to top DirtyEtzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-15-2015, 04:38:36 PM   #12
mpower22
CPV O-Ring Guy

In the garage:

United States

That's exactly why your vehicle is running hot, you should never be running 80% water in there, you are bringing the boiling point of the mixture waaaaay down. 50/50 ratio is the only one recommended by BMW, end of discussion.

2003 M3Laguna Seca Blue/6MT/Black Leather Cloth Interior/Full [CSL] Exhaust/evolve-R
Original Owner, Custom Built - PDC, Moonroof, Bi-xenons (TFX), Brushed Aluminum Trim, Bluetooth ULF
European - Rotors (F&R), Bumper, Mirrors, Warning Triangle, Console, LSZ, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher
OE LED Conversion/Outer Ring Mod | V1 Hardwired/Ashtray Display | 3M 35% Tint | Intravee II, Diamond H600s, JL 10W3v3, HD900/5
Jump to top mpower22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-15-2015, 04:47:52 PM   #13
DirtyEtzio

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower22 View Post
That's exactly why your vehicle is running hot, you should never be running 80% water in there, you are bringing the boiling point of the mixture waaaaay down. 50/50 ratio is the only one recommended by BMW, end of discussion.
Nope. Going from a 50/50 mix to an 80/20 mix drops the boiling temperature by a whopping 5*C.

Meanwhile, the 80/20 mix makes the system more efficient at absorbing heat from the engine.

Source: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/et...col-d_146.html
Jump to top DirtyEtzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-15-2015, 04:53:36 PM   #14
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower22 View Post
Nope, this is just not true. , add in the fact that it is a sealed system under high pressure and the boiling temp is even higher. And finally, water is a better coolant than "coolant" as the poster above pointed out and would keep the motor cooler.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-15-2015, 05:17:19 PM   #15
sev

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson8 View Post
Hi All,

I was in Palm Desert last weekend, and the weather was around 105 degrees. With the a/c on, my car started to creep up to the 3/4 mark on the coolant temp gauge, and once I turned it off it slowly started coming down. Is this something that I should be concerned about, or is this normal? Below is a list of what has been done within the last 10k miles.

-Coolant flush with BMW coolant and distilled water (80/20 mix)
-BMW Thermostat
-BMW water pump

Thanks fellas!
i had the same problem, your fan clutch has gotten lazy and it's time to replace it.
Jump to top sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-15-2015, 08:00:04 PM   #16
jcreme
Mechanical? Engineer?

In the garage:

United States

Also might have air in the system. I had similar symptoms and I found air in the system. I burped it out through the bleeder (just not when it's hot mmK?).

For future reference, putting on HVAC to 92 and fan on high is much quicker to cool it down to normal temp than shutting down the engine. A shut down engine isn't circulating coolant at all. It's kind of the difference between taking off your shirt when you are hot n sweaty vs climbing under some blankets and laying very still until you feel cooler.

If keeps climbing after that, shut it down. Unless you have access to a water hose, then a cold stream on the radiator will bring it down really quickly.

^^these things compliments the school of hard knocks^^
Old Mon, Jun-15-2015, 08:46:16 PM   #17
Zabalzae

United States

I have about 30 coolant to 70 water with a bottle of water wetter and no issues. I live in tx and it gets hot as hell.
Jump to top Zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-15-2015, 09:26:40 PM   #18
Arson8

In the garage:

United States

I would also like to mention that it was getting hot while at freeway speed. Y'all still think it's the fan clutch? Sounds more like a radiator blockage to me.
Jump to top Arson8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-15-2015, 09:33:09 PM   #19
Zabalzae

United States

Radiator
Jump to top Zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-16-2015, 11:02:57 PM   #20
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyEtzio View Post
Nope. Going from a 50/50 mix to an 80/20 mix drops the boiling temperature by a whopping 5*C.

Meanwhile, the 80/20 mix makes the system more efficient at absorbing heat from the engine.

Source: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/et...col-d_146.html
At 80/20 you probably don't have enough corrosion inhibitors though. Idk if I'd run that long term