BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Feb-24-2014, 01:26:21 PM   #1
wsl
Mongrel Motorsports

In the garage:

United States

Default Extending OEM O2 wiring for Section 1 with Cats

While I'm waiting for my stepped headers I decided to extend the factory O2 sensor wiring to accommodate the Section 1 with cats. You do not need to cut any wires to extend the O2 fittings, only removed them from the factory loom. Searching found plenty of information describing what to do, although not many images. Based on previous threads, I bought the euro wire routing plastic:

14 GUIDE RAIL 1 11787831183
15 GUIDE RAIL 1 11787831182

I thought finding the mounting location would be obvious. I held the O2 sensors in the approximate location and ran the wires around the driver side of the transmission tunnel. The leads almost reach the firewall so I was looking to install the euro plastic near the fuel filter. I doesn't go there, it mounts here:

While this location uses the factory mounting holes, it had two problems for me. First, it is exposed. I couldn't confirm it, but it appeared the connectors would be the lowest part of the car when installed in the mount. Second, I couldn't get the wires to reach the mount. This is the best I could do:

I already had the exhaust out so my wiring harness was already out. I removed the O2 and EGT wiring from the grommet located on the rear intake side of the valve cover by cutting the rubber. I also cut the OEM O2 loom back to where it meets the large rubber boot beside the brake booster.

I removed the vacuum line on the rear of the intake to allow more room for pulling the O2 wiring loom over to the driver side. I also ended up removing the cover/shield beside the brake booster in order to access the OEM loom. I put a new loom over the separated post cat wires and ran them down the firewall beside the transmission sensor wiring.

I'm waiting until I install the new exhaust before sealing the loom and fitting it securely to the vehicle. Working under the car I found a few studs that may work for mounting the OEM euro mount. With all these options, nothing really lined up with the OEM mount.

I modified the bracket by removing one mounting tab and the 90 deg bend. I used two of the upper studs and made a small metal bracket that slipped over the plastic bracket to hold it tight to the tunnel. The other mounting point uses an OEM cable fitting.

The O2 wiring is held in place with other OEM wire holders located along the driver side tunnel. I will secure the remainder of the wiring after the exhaust is installed and I can verify the location works with the sensors.

Last edited by wsl; Wed, Feb-26-2014 at 11:08:07 AM.
Jump to top wsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Feb-24-2014, 01:41:54 PM   #2
cntrvrsy

United Nations

Default Re: Extending O2 wiring for Section 1 with Cats

Most excellent and thanks for putting up images . I've always read about how one could unravel and extend the loom down the drivers side of the trans etc but never saw any photos to gain a mental picture of what's what.

sig engineered by Fcukupayme
Jump to top cntrvrsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-24-2014, 04:10:33 PM   #3
trantamthien

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrvrsy View Post
Most excellent and thanks for putting up images . I've always read about how one could unravel and extend the loom down the drivers side of the trans etc but never saw any photos to gain a mental picture of what's what.
There's instructions on how to do this in one of the header DIY threads, but this one is by far one of the most detailed set of instructions. Thanks OP.
Jump to top trantamthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-24-2014, 04:49:01 PM   #4
ML///M3
Sunday Drive NYC

United States

Thanks, this is very useful information.

Jump to top ML///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-25-2014, 12:34:25 AM   #5
m3e46freak
M3 Freq

In the garage:

Germany

Why do people think they need to cut o2 sensors?

Take appropriate sensors, cut away the plastic hose that covers the sensors, pull the appropriate sensors back out of the lining, fish it down around the opposite side of engine, run it back to cats. Simple, end of story, no extra horseshit. You're welcome. lol

Rock Hard Abs Racing

KWV2!
18X10 CCW CLASSIC!
CPI Headers!
RESONATORS AND SUPERSPRINT!
DINAN!
FRANK!! 311RWHP-260Torque
m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting

ebay/craigslist verified 100% FEEDBACK
m3forum 96% FEEDBACK
m3post/e46fanantics Great FEEDBACK
zpost/bimmerforum Great FEEDBACK
Jump to top m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-25-2014, 02:43:47 AM   #6
bzsbimmer

In the garage:

South Korea

I applaud the OP for this. You did it much better than I could explain it.
I didn't get the CSL piece, just zip tied the O2 plug to the SMG tubes and made sure it was all away from the cats and resonators on my section 1.

I followed the DIY's but no one actually showed pictures of what to do so I had to figure out on my own. I didn't snap any pictures by the time I buttoned it all up so major props to you!

The Realoem diagram doesn't show placement of the piece and funny enough the US piece isn't shown on Realoem anywhere either. Now that I see it, it makes sense. Still don't know why the convoluted tube needs to be cut. The CSL must have a different wire loom for this particular circuit or the O2's are truly longer.
Old Wed, Feb-26-2014, 01:17:53 AM   #7
bmwJohhnyD
user formerly known as bmwbob

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzsbimmer View Post
I applaud the OP for this. You did it much better than I could explain it.
I didn't get the CSL piece, just zip tied the O2 plug to the SMG tubes and made sure it was all away from the cats and resonators on my section 1.

I followed the DIY's but no one actually showed pictures of what to do so I had to figure out on my own. I didn't snap any pictures by the time I buttoned it all up so major props to you!

The Realoem diagram doesn't show placement of the piece and funny enough the US piece isn't shown on Realoem anywhere either. Now that I see it, it makes sense. Still don't know why the convoluted tube needs to be cut. The CSL must have a different wire loom for this particular circuit or the O2's are truly longer.
i have been trying to get a csl/euro owner to post the exact routing from the ecm to the o2 sensors for a couple of years now since i did my euroheader install.. they are all too lazy..

beautiful beautiful work OP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineEcstasy View Post
You could make any wheel work with enough fender work, the right tire, and enough camber. Whether you are willing to go through that though is up to you. just say no to wheels that dont fit.
Jump to top bmwJohhnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-26-2014, 01:19:34 AM   #8
bmwJohhnyD

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3e46freak View Post
Why do people think they need to cut o2 sensors?

Take appropriate sensors, cut away the plastic hose that covers the sensors, pull the appropriate sensors back out of the lining, fish it down around the opposite side of engine, run it back to cats. Simple, end of story, no extra horseshit. You're welcome. lol
i dont see where he physically extended the sensor wiring?! unless i missed it.

looks like he cut it all the way back to right where they enter ecm.. yes? no?!

Quote:
You could make any wheel work with enough fender work, the right tire, and enough camber. Whether you are willing to go through that though is up to you. just say no to wheels that dont fit.
Old Wed, Feb-26-2014, 01:28:31 AM   #9
bmwJohhnyD

United Nations

also what kind of small bracket did you make? i cant see it in the pictures..

can you picture it so i can make my own?

Quote:
Old Wed, Feb-26-2014, 02:54:51 AM   #10
trantamthien

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob View Post
i dont see where he physically extended the sensor wiring?! unless i missed it.

looks like he cut it all the way back to right where they enter ecm.. yes? no?!
Here you can see he cut the loom towards the fuse box area. The wiring leads straight downwards in this area. This allows for more length to run along the side of the transmission tunnel here. Also, even before the sensor wires go into the loop, it's coiled up and tied up on the valve cover.

Last edited by trantamthien; Wed, Feb-26-2014 at 02:59:09 AM.
Jump to top trantamthien is offline   Reply With Quote