BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 03:14:49 PM   #11
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Getting Gas with the Engine Running

It's not something I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 03:42:45 PM   #12
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

That's interesting about 'never idle'. Logic tells me that the lower [Fewer] the RPMs when cold, the less friction will take place. But I'm assuming you guys are referring to something in the top half of the engine? (carbon buildup from a colder ignition, or slower flow and siphon from the exhaust? I'd read the 'just start driving' advice in the manual, but assumed they were just being ----s catering to the 'your car will get stolen and you'll 'have too much fun' police.)

So strong is my aversion to unnecessary lower-half friction, that I've even fantasized about having a system like a very slow starter that would allow me to roll the engine very slowly for 10 or 12 cranks at, say, 1 revolution per 2 seconds.

Just like an old airplane; turning the prop without electricity on to work oil up into the engine.

ANYWAY, I forget that it's all a moot point. If my water / block temp is up to 180 when I pull into the gas station, but oil is sub 120, if I shut the engine down, that oil is going to have warmed up 50+ degrees in the 4 minutes is takes me to get gas.

That's very convenient, and was especially this morning at 5am, when I made an incredible run 68 miles away and back. Never before have I been able to cruise at as high speeds as I did this morning, for such a sustained amount of time. There was simply nobody for a long time.

My God: what a car.

Black 2006 M3, E46, 6MT, convertible - Headers, High-flow cats, section 3 (all Active Autowerke), Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 03:51:28 PM   #13
Sandeep1212

In the garage:

Canada

Whats the issue with turning the car off and turning it back on when cold?

Last edited by Sandeep1212; Mon, Jul-31-2017 at 03:56:53 PM.
Jump to top Sandeep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 03:53:53 PM   #14
stack
The STIG

In the garage:

Poland

I do it sometimes, ground your self first.
I do not do it on an empty tank.

04 E46 M3/ 95 E36 M3
Jump to top stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 03:56:39 PM   #15
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoogan View Post
That's interesting about 'never idle'. Logic tells me that the lower [Fewer] the RPMs when cold, the less friction will take place. But I'm assuming you guys are referring to something in the top half of the engine? (carbon buildup from a colder ignition, or slower flow and siphon from the exhaust? I'd read the 'just start driving' advice in the manual, but assumed they were just being ----s catering to the 'your car will get stolen and you'll 'have too much fun' police.)

So strong is my aversion to unnecessary lower-half friction, that I've even fantasized about having a system like a very slow starter that would allow me to roll the engine very slowly for 10 or 12 cranks at, say, 1 revolution per 2 seconds.

Just like an old airplane; turning the prop without electricity on to work oil up into the engine.

ANYWAY, I forget that it's all a moot point. If my water / block temp is up to 180 when I pull into the gas station, but oil is sub 120, if I shut the engine down, that oil is going to have warmed up 50+ degrees in the 4 minutes is takes me to get gas.

That's very convenient, and was especially this morning at 5am, when I made an incredible run 68 miles away and back. Never before have I been able to cruise at as high speeds as I did this morning, for such a sustained amount of time. There was simply nobody for a long time.

My God: what a car.
Different parts expand as they warm up at different rates. The parts are designed to be correctly sized, and fluids are speced to be at the correct viscosity, when at operating temperature. Warming up at idle makes it take longer to warm up. The longer it's running cold, the more wear is occurring.

The owners manual for the car even specifies that you should not let it warm up at idle.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 03:57:03 PM   #16
stack
The STIG

In the garage:

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep1212 View Post
Whats the issue with tuening the car off and turning it back on when cold?
start up is when there is the least amount of oil in bearings and moving parts.
When cold... oil is not flowing as smoother then warmer oil because it is thicker
Over a long period of time, parts will start to wear down.

04 E46 M3/ 95 E36 M3
Jump to top stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 03:57:57 PM   #17
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

What is this "warm up" period you all speak of?

Do your cars not just turn on and hit operating temp in the blink of an eye up there in the great white north?
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 04:00:17 PM   #18
Sandeep1212

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by stack View Post
start up is when there is the least amount of oil in bearings and moving parts.
When cold... oil is not flowing as smoother then warmer oil because it is thicker
Over a long period of time, parts will start to wear down.
I know, I mean per OPs question of leaving the car running.

So whats worse about turning a car on then off then on vs left running. Both situation you have cold oil amd lubed bearing at that point.

Unless you're saying that they loose the oil that quickly?

Last edited by Sandeep1212; Mon, Jul-31-2017 at 04:15:12 PM.
Jump to top Sandeep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 04:01:51 PM   #19
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Different parts expand as they warm up at different rates. The parts are designed to be correctly sized, and fluids are speced to be at the correct viscosity, when at operating temperature. Warming up at idle makes it take longer to warm up. The longer it's running cold, the more wear is occurring.

The owners manual for the car even specifies that you should not let it warm up at idle.
That makes sense - okay, logic absorbed. Here again the board of knowledge here has helped to absolve me from guilt that was probably incorrectly ingrained in my redneck childhood, much like the incorrect adage that centerfire pistols and rifles shouldn't be dry-fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
What is this "warm up" period you all speak of?

Do your cars not just turn on and hit operating temp in the blink of an eye up there in the great white north?

Haha - no sir, not like Miami. This morning, it was 52 degrees when I woke up

Black 2006 M3, E46, 6MT, convertible - Headers, High-flow cats, section 3 (all Active Autowerke), Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-31-2017, 04:38:48 PM   #20
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

I'm not sure of 01-06 OBD regulations, but any car built today would throw a DTC for "Gross Evap Leak" on second ignition cycle. I suppose if it's during warmup and you never shut the car off, this probably won't store. This DTC would not cause any change in performance.

It's not a smart move as far as safety is concerned. Static electricity, heat from the exhaust and source of fuel isn't a great combo.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote