BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 06:56:48 PM   #1
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Default Quick Question - Can this be taken off safely?

Hey guys sorry to be a nuisance. The big X shaped shield underneath the front of the transmission and rear of the engine I think I need to take that off to get to the last Header/Sect 1 exhaust bolt. Can that come off safely? It seems to be held on by a weird number of bolts is why I ask.

THANKS!

2006 E46 M3, 6MT, Convertible, Black/Black - 72k miles
Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune. Schrick CSL Cam - 60k mile Service II.
Jump to top TheDoogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 07:08:29 PM   #2
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Quick Question - Can this be taken off safely?

The silver plate on the right side of the picture?

Yes.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 07:20:59 PM   #3
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

OK!

Thank you very much. I'm actually almost done taking these bolts off- I'm leaving one on until I understand it fully.

Can I ask you one more question? (On my phone under the car).

Just behind where the section 1 and section 2 come together, there are two crossmembers. One appears to simply be a guard, because nothing contacts it while it's attached.

The one behind it, closer to the rear, has a rubber overlay that seems to apply downward pressure to the section 2, and the rubber connection points on each side of this piece I'm sure are designed to absorb vibration.

The thing I see though, is that the overlay is made out of metal, and it seems strange that there would be a metal on metal connection, even if rubber separates it from the rest of the car.

Should I try to put any material of some sort in between the top of the section 2 pipes and this metal overlay so that it is not metal on metal? For example, I have heard of fiberglass exhaust wrap. Or is this metal on metal with the pipes totally fine?

While I'm working on this, I just want to make sure I'm eliminating any points where there might be rattles or vibrations.

Thank you!

Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune. Schrick CSL Cam - 60k mile Service II.
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 07:23:42 PM   #4
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Post a picture of what you're talking about? I'm not understanding where your metal on metal contact is occurring.

Those plates are chassis bracing. The one with the rubber bits are exhaust mounts-- the hold the middle of the exhaust up (though you can remove it without issue, temporarily.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 09:17:59 PM   #5
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Hey Obi, I got on top of the pipes with my iPhone camera, and I see now that the metal-on-metal contact is expected to see is actually a bracket that's welded to the pipes, so I don't think I have to worry about any rattles coming from the stock section 2. (I actually forgot my section 2 was stock when I posted the question.)

FRIEND: Can you please give me a little more advice?

I have two questions.

QUESTION 1:

The upper two bolts that connect the section 1 and section 2 together are VERY hard for me to get to. I can get a socket on them, but to get a ratchet or extension down onto them is very tough, because of the catalytic converters. A 3/8" drive universal-joint - but this doesn't allow me the leverage or stability needed to turn the nuts. When I try, the mechanism torques up and wants to round off the nut.

Do most people take the whole exhaust down to undo and redo these connections, then lift the completed exhaust back up to then re-attach at the headers and section 1?

Or should I be able to get to them? If so, can you give me any advice, sir? Thank you so much...

QUESTION 2:

My shop was alarmed when the Active Autowerke headers arrived with one flange welded, and then the other loose. They said "we'll find someone to weld it, but that's a weird thing to forget."

I said: "There's no way they made a mistake, hang on."

I called AA, and they said, "That's how we sell them; that's how it works. They will bolt on just fine."

Now, as I disassemble the header-to-Section1 connections, here is what I see:

Is this correct? Does this look right to you? I planned to just replace the OEM fittings here (this is the kit I have for this point) - do I need to try to scrape off whatever this gasket material is that's currently on my car?

Thanks so much for any advice you have.... I can't wait to have this done correctly, if it wasn't already.

Doog

Flange bolts from Section 2 to your muffler: 11ft-lbs (15Nm)
Muffler hanger to muffler: 15ft-lbs (20Nm)
Muffler hanger to chassis: 16ft-lbs (22Nm)

HEADER TO SECTION 1: 20ft-lbs on bolt head.
SECTION 1 to SECTION 2: 16ft-lbs on bolt head.

Last edited by TheDoogan; Wed, Jun-07-2017 at 10:37:27 PM.
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 09:26:15 PM   #6
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

#1 - it is a lot easier to drop the whole exhaust as the section 1 to 2 bolts are usually impossible to bust.

#2 - non-welded flange is normal and easier IMO to install. The donut gasket will be compressed between the two flanges.

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 09:29:28 PM   #7
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Okay, thank you!

So: would you say, those header-sect 1 connections you see above are ready for a new gasket and re-bolting / torquing? No cleaning or removal of anything you see is required?

Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 09:34:52 PM   #8
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

you need to clean off the old gasket and install a new one

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 10:22:36 PM   #9
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Okay, I just went out and did a little more work.

One more question guys:

I have the exhaust system totally unfastened now, supported only by some blocks of wood, and the one metal V shaped brace in front of the differential and rear-mid jack point.

Does it make sense that I'd balance the exhaust on a jack (guessing the center of gravity), then remove that V brace with its three big bolts, then lower the whole exhaust system down with a jack?

Then, undo and redo the Sect1-2 connection, then the sect 2-3 connection, then jack the whole thing up and put the braces back on, then do the Header->Section 1 connection?

Thank you, guys!

It's too late now, family duties call. I'll hit it tomorrow if you guys like my plan.

ALSO: I couldn't resist booting that S54 up with an open connection on the aft end of the headers. WOWIE, that sucker sounds cool.

Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 02:45:02 AM   #10
SQ13

United States

What sec. 3 do you have? If OE, removal/install be difficult because of its weight. When I install headers, I..
- remove sec 3
- remove sec 1 and 2 together. I keep them intact. No point in separating 1 and 2.
- remove headers
- reverse order for install

Edit: What are you trying to do, replace an exhaust component? Get to the D/S?

Last edited by SQ13; Thu, Jun-08-2017 at 02:49:20 AM.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote