BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 03:00:43 PM   #111
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Jared's M3 Learning Project

January 05, 2018:

Happy New Year everyone!

My 21st birthday is next week so I'm treating myself to some goodies (RIP my wallet). I've got an ECS oil catch can, new euro plates, and this bad boy coming in the mail:

Before I get too carried away, I'm going to hold off on more purchases until next month or so. I think that's when I'll buy new motor mounts and if I buy the Vibra-technic motor mounts, I'll buy their transmission mounts/brace as well. We'll see, though... I need to come across a paycheck or two before I can keep spending like this.

I wonder how much money I have in parts laying around just waiting to be installed...

Jared's Daily/Track '02 M3 Convertible: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=545658
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 03:05:10 PM   #112
BMWjunkie11
That guy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredMV View Post
December 28, 2017:

Well the good news is I got my RE racebrace in the mail! Quality is unmatched and I'm uber excited to install this! I used to have that garbage Cusco from the previous owner - it was made for 99-01 e46's because it had indentations for the strut tower humps. Away with your filth!

I busted out my new state-of-the-art Pittsburgh toolkit and got to work. If I could touch on this for a second, I think a toolkit is a must have for anyone's household. I bought this one because my wider range of tools are at my mom's house, and since I need a garage to do the more extreme projects (like my clutch project that's happening soon), I bought a relatively inexpensive toolkit for on-the-fly fixes. This kit only cost me $130 and it's perfect for this purpose. I went with the second largest toolkit because it had better ratchets than the cheapest set and the most expensive had more pieces that I didn't really need. A lot of people will hate on Harbor Freight for the sake of doing so, when I've only had one HF tool ACTUALLY break on me and it was a plastic screwdriver while I was taking apart a binding machine at work... to be fair, those screws were torqued to a trillion ft/lbs. Would I buy HF tools if I worked at a shop? No. Would I buy them for my weekend projects? Hell yes.

Anyway, my excitement quickly faded when I realized it wouldn't fit easily. I know it's fairly common for 02's and older to have strut towers that pull away from the body (and I think I mentioned this in a really early post in this journal) due to the fact that we didn't get strut bars from the factory. I think what happened was the PO didn't have a bar and hit a curb or something - after which he bought a (cheap) strut brace to keep it from getting worse. I've watched this crack for over a year now and it hasn't gotten worse, but now it's starting to be a pain since I can't put my bar on without taking my suspension out first. I'm also sure this is partly why I have 4.4 degrees of camber on that side vs 2.8 deg on the driver's side. I have a 1 year alignment though, so I'm not worried about getting re-aligned.

So as I put my top-of-the-line tools back in their box, I set up an appointment with a local body shop to have the strut tower looked at. If anyone here knows what I'm about, I would totally DIY this if I had the equipment to do so. That said, I've now only paid for labor on mounting/balancing tires, an alignment, and soon-to-be frame work.

I have an '02 and I had to do a bit of jimmying to get my Mason Bar to fit, but it's all good now.

2002 Jet Black/Grey ///M3

Full Supersprint Race Exhaust l PSDesigns Velocity Stack Kit l TMS Pulleys l TTFS Custom Alpha-N Tune l Work Brombachers

"Bags are for dead hookers"

Jump to top BMWjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 03:09:08 PM   #113
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie11 View Post
I have an '02 and I had to do a bit of jimmying to get my Mason Bar to fit, but it's all good now.
Good to hear! When I went to the body shop, they said they can use some type of hydraulic spreader bar ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) to push the strut tower back into place. Once that's done, the bar will slide in place beautifully.

I just have to wait for a call back... typical.

Jared's Daily/Track '02 M3 Convertible: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=545658
Old Wed, Jan-17-2018, 02:30:13 PM   #114
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

January 16, 2018:

I got around to installing my new wheel yesterday and it feels great! I'll be running airbagless until I get my trim pieces painted (I'm going to make them steel gray because why not).

Last edited by JaredMV; Tue, Mar-20-2018 at 04:39:08 PM. Reason: Date
Old Fri, Jan-19-2018, 06:04:51 AM   #115
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

January 18, 2018:

Bad news, Uber drivers are on the loose...

Last edited by JaredMV; Wed, Feb-28-2018 at 02:04:42 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old Mon, Jan-22-2018, 01:40:59 PM   #116
BMWjunkie11
That guy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredMV View Post
Bad news, Uber drivers are on the loose...

Saw this post on one of the BMW pages on facebook. Real sorry to hear about this, I know the pain, I had someone back into my car a few years back and crush the hood and fender in. Hopefully it's a quick repair time for you.

2002 Jet Black/Grey ///M3

Full Supersprint Race Exhaust l PSDesigns Velocity Stack Kit l TMS Pulleys l TTFS Custom Alpha-N Tune l Work Brombachers

"Bags are for dead hookers"

Jump to top BMWjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-23-2018, 01:38:54 AM   #117
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Jesus Christ. Uber is so bad in the bay area, especially in San Francisco.

On a bright note, your steering wheel looks awesome! How do you like it vs the oem? Is it worth the price?
Old Wed, Jan-24-2018, 02:32:38 PM   #118
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie11 View Post
Saw this post on one of the BMW pages on facebook. Real sorry to hear about this, I know the pain, I had someone back into my car a few years back and crush the hood and fender in. Hopefully it's a quick repair time for you.
Thanks dude. Here's a couple more pics of the damage and its way to the body shop. Looks like I need a new bumper, bumper support, fender, rad support, turn signal, and miscellaneous plastics - along with some minor framework. Hoping that it's not totaled because I don't know if I'm ready to start my wagon conversion yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
Jesus Christ. Uber is so bad in the bay area, especially in San Francisco.

On a bright note, your steering wheel looks awesome! How do you like it vs the oem? Is it worth the price?
I didn't get to really grab an opinion of the wheel before I got into the accident so once the car is back in my possession I'll have a more accurate review.

I did, however, finish painting my trim steel gray. I'm kind of on the fence about it right now, but I'll keep it on for a while before officially deciding to paint it black. The way the light hits the in these pics gives it a purple-ish hue which is neat, but I don't know if it really fits what I'm looking for. Opinions are welcome!

Check out this $100 Pulsar that my friends and I bought and pushed home. My friend Alvin knows Nissan CA's like the back of his hand and was able to get it running the same day. This car was way ahead of its time.

Old Wed, Jan-24-2018, 02:51:50 PM   #119
legacyej25

United States

Huge downer on the accident. Best of luck with the repair. Keep me posted on how it turns out.
Old Wed, Feb-28-2018, 02:01:25 PM   #120
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

February 27, 2018:

Well she's back! Huge thanks to Pro Image Auto Collision in San Francisco for taking such good care of her.

To do list:
- Install RE Race Brace
- Figure out why I have so much negative camber up front
- Reapply sh!tpost stickers
- Euro plate mounting solution
- California plate mounting solution
- Order ECS smoked reflectors
- Driiiiiiiiiiiive
- Prep for track weekend in March