BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-26-2010, 03:32:42 AM   #11
rbpwrd

thanks for the response guys..

I read through the entire smg troubleshooting thread, and i can't find anyone who has had the same problems that i'm experiencing, some have theirs getting stuck in 1st, but the majority of people, it seems that they have problems during driving or while the car is running.. what i can't understand is that the car was running perfectly fine prior to shutting it off to do the oil change.. It was only off for about 30 mins.

maybe it's just a coincidence that it happened after the oil change, and that it was something ready to fail, but it seems like it all happened at once..

here's what i've done so far:

- tried opening and closing the hood several times, also opened and closed the doors, and the trunk.
- disconnected battery, pressed brake pedal several times to drain any current, left disconnected overnight, reconnected.
- replaced salmon colored SMG relay

During this process, the battery died, so I had to hook up some jumper cables to charge the battery (did not have a battery charger where I'm at)

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Or is there a way to reset the SMG system without hooking up the SMG scan tool?

Next step for me would be to front a $400 tow bill to get it to the nearest BMW dealership, and $300 for them to hook it up to the diagnostic scan tool.

To me, it seems like the system was tripped somehow when I jacked the car up before shutting it off, and now it needs to be reset or cleared.

Any other suggestions would be extremely helpful guys!!

Thanks

Chris ///Mac
'02 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White/Cinnamon
Jump to top rbpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 03:33:41 AM   #12
SuperFrog
Hello, this is Frog

In the garage:

Ireland

Did you reconnect the TPS sensor?
Jump to top SuperFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 03:38:56 AM   #13
rbpwrd

if thats the sensor right in front of the oil filter canister, then yes.

Chris ///Mac
'02 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White/Cinnamon
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 03:42:05 AM   #14
IFX

United States

Disconnect the battery and leave it alone overnight.

Do you hear your pump prime when you open your door? Unlock car?

05 AW Vert/Imola
Red Roundels
Black Hood Grills
Black Fender Gills
Magnaflow Exhaust
Tinted Tails
6K HID Fogs
C/F Guage Cluster
Jump to top IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 04:56:20 AM   #15
agent M

In the garage:

Canada

Where did you jack up your car from while the engine was running?
2004 M3 Silver Gray / CSL Header and Cats / SS Non Res. X-Pipe / RE El Diablo Exhaust / Hotchkis Swaybar / CDV Delete / KW v2 / RE RSM / OEM RTAB with TMS Limiter / RD Sport Rims 19' / Michelin Super Sport tires / Axxis Pads / Reinforcement Kit / Smoke Corner / Kamei Eyelid / 50% Tinted / Painted Shadow Grille / Umnitza Halo light / Hanman Lip / CF Diffusor / Side Clear Protector / Alpine CDE-103BT / JL Amp 500/1 / JBL Sub / Bimmian Mobile Dash Mount / CF Emblems / CF Side Grill / Euro Center Console Tray / Autosolution SSK 30% / Aluminum Foot Pedals / Chrome E-Brake / AA Shift knob / AA Sport Fan Clutch / AEM Boost Gauge / AEM Wide Band Gauge / Oil Catch Can / CF Wrap/ 3.91 diff / Aluminum Dipstick / OM Bootlid
Active Auto HKS Gen 6 Level 1.5
Jump to top agent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 06:28:37 AM   #16
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
Disconnect the battery and leave it alone overnight.

Do you hear your pump prime when you open your door? Unlock car?
+1.

Get the codes read if you can with a scan tool. If you have alternator problems, it can interfere with the operation of the SMG unit since it takes a bit of current to initially prime the pump. Also as the previous poster said, does your pump prime when you open / unlock the doors? If not, you definitely have a SMG problem. If they do I would lean toward the alternator, or something else.

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 01:59:29 PM   #17
rbpwrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaja23 View Post
+1.

Get the codes read if you can with a scan tool. If you have alternator problems, it can interfere with the operation of the SMG unit since it takes a bit of current to initially prime the pump. Also as the previous poster said, does your pump prime when you open / unlock the doors? If not, you definitely have a SMG problem. If they do I would lean toward the alternator, or something else.
Thanks for the great reply's guys!

Is that the humming sound that you hear, almost like a cd changer scanning??

If so, then yes, I do hear that.

I jacked the car up on the jack points, and put blocks under the front lower control arms.. Same spots I have always put them..

Can a regular OBD2 scanner scan the SMG fault? And can I clear it with one?

Chris ///Mac
'02 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White/Cinnamon
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 03:57:30 PM   #18
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpwrd View Post
Can a regular OBD2 scanner scan the SMG fault? And can I clear it with one?
No and No. OBD-II is just for emissions faults.
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 04:52:55 PM   #19
Ghozt
Phuckface!!!!!

Reputation: 0 Ghozt is a glorious beacon of lightGhozt is a glorious beacon of light

United States

Not quite sure this is an SMG fault... I could be wrong but pointing at the hood or even the SMG in general seems off. Both items should not prevent the car from starting.

The car will start with the hood open. It will simply not engage first gear.

If your SMG is shot, you'll still be able to start your car, but again, no engaging in 1st gear...

Maybe I missed this but can you describe completely the "won't start" portion? Is it even trying to turn over or are you getting absolutely nothing?

*edit Re-read the OP. You need a scanner ASAP... Could very well be the battery to be honest... Were you ever having start-up issues before? Like, ever having to do more than one attempt to start the car?

Last edited by Ghozt; Wed, May-26-2010 at 04:56:11 PM.
Jump to top Ghozt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 08:21:26 PM   #20
rbpwrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostM3JP View Post
Not quite sure this is an SMG fault... I could be wrong but pointing at the hood or even the SMG in general seems off. Both items should not prevent the car from starting.

The car will start with the hood open. It will simply not engage first gear.

If your SMG is shot, you'll still be able to start your car, but again, no engaging in 1st gear...

Maybe I missed this but can you describe completely the "won't start" portion? Is it even trying to turn over or are you getting absolutely nothing?

*edit Re-read the OP. You need a scanner ASAP... Could very well be the battery to be honest... Were you ever having start-up issues before? Like, ever having to do more than one attempt to start the car?
thank you!

The car will not crank over what so ever, i turn the key on, and get nothing, as if im not even turning the key. I've held it for 30+ seconds to see if anything, and no.

I wasn't having any problems with starting the car prior to the oil change.

I'll try to get a scanner asap to see if there are any error codes or anything. In the meantime, should I have the battery or alternator tested?

Chris ///Mac
'02 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White/Cinnamon