BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

View Poll Results: What is your 4.0L V8's oil consumption rate?
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 5,000+ miles 110 53.66%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 4,000 miles 31 15.12%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 3,000 miles 32 15.61%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 2,000 miles 11 5.37%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 1,000 miles 21 10.24%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old Fri, Jun-26-2009, 01:07:09 AM   #1
Cleveland
///M POWERED

Reputation: 0 Cleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland Porsha

United States

Arrow Post your ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION RATE here...

I hope this thread can shine some light on how much oil the 4.0 liter S65B40 engines are burning off, and at what rate. (liters per number of miles)

This thread applies to any M3 owner, but...the poll survey applies to E90, E92, and E93 M3 owners ONLY please.

I am trying to establish a 'median' average for engine oil consumption with these new 4.0L V8 M3's. (in particular)

If you own an E46 M3 (3.2 liter I-6), feel free to join the discussion part of the thread, and tell us about your own oil consumption observations over a preset mileage range. (for topping off)

FYI: For anyone who doesn't already know this, Castrol TWS 10w-60 oil is sold in 1-liter bottles...not 1-quart bottles.

Note: Please do not vote in the poll if you do not own a E90 M3 Sedan, E92 M3 Coupe, or E93 M3 Convertible.

Thanks in advance to everyone who participates in the discussion.

I think this thread will provide some valuable and important data in the years to come.
True leaders are not those who strive to be first, but those who are first to strive and give their all for the success of the team. They can be identified by the clarity of their vision, the strength of their actions, and the integrity of their intent. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, and the courage to make tough decisions. A true leader has compassion, and is willing to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but he becomes one by the confidence that he inspires in others. He commands the respect of his peers, and is humbled by the admiration of his followers. True leaders are first to see the need, envision the plan, and empower the team for action. By the strength of the leader's commitment, the power of the team is unleashed.

Last edited by Cleveland; Fri, Apr-15-2011 at 06:55:24 PM.
Jump to top Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-26-2009, 01:13:15 AM   #2
URBAN LEGEND
Banned

United States

1 quart for the first 7000 miles.
Jump to top URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-26-2009, 01:43:10 PM   #3
Cleveland
///M POWERED

Reputation: 0 Cleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland Porsha

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
1 quart for the first 7000 miles.
So just to clarify, did you mean the combined oil added before and after the 1200 mile service? Or just since the 1200 mile service?

7k seems to be very good for this M engine.
True leaders are not those who strive to be first, but those who are first to strive and give their all for the success of the team. They can be identified by the clarity of their vision, the strength of their actions, and the integrity of their intent. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, and the courage to make tough decisions. A true leader has compassion, and is willing to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but he becomes one by the confidence that he inspires in others. He commands the respect of his peers, and is humbled by the admiration of his followers. True leaders are first to see the need, envision the plan, and empower the team for action. By the strength of the leader's commitment, the power of the team is unleashed.
Old Fri, Jun-26-2009, 01:53:40 PM   #4
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...

United States

Nice poll. I will vote as soon as I have to add a liter.

2009 E90 M3 - LeMans Blue - Speed Cloth - 6 speed
ESS Tune - BMW Performance Exhaust - StopTech Trophy BBK - KW Clubsport Suspension - TE37SL Wheels
Jump to top AMPowerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-26-2009, 05:28:40 PM   #5
URBAN LEGEND
Banned

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
So just to clarify, did you mean the combined oil added before and after the 1200 mile service? Or just since the 1200 mile service?

7k seems to be very good for this M engine.
Combined from mile 1 to mile 7118. Just 1 quart ever.
Jump to top URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-26-2009, 06:35:05 PM   #6
thooooorgal

United States

quart after 14'000 km X 2 times (already 40'000 km)
Jump to top thooooorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-26-2009, 06:42:53 PM   #7
Cleveland
///M POWERED

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooooorgal View Post
quart after 14'000 km X 2 times (already 40'000 km)
14,000km = 8,700 miles.

BTW: What country do you live in?

I should have added km as well as miles...
Old Fri, Jun-26-2009, 09:14:35 PM   #8
MJMM3

United States

No oil used at my 2nd oil change at 8.5K miles (first change was done at 1200 miles at the dealer at its cost). I spent $450 on it tho. First I took it to a favorite garage, and they put in 9.3 quarts of 10W30 full synthetic($200).

Then I got nervous and checked the internet. There I discovered this engine takes a special 10w60 Castrol oil (seems like they could have mentioned that some where in the owner's manual). No wonder the gas mileage sucks! So I had that done at my BMW dealership ($250).

I might not have worried but I have a track day scheduled. So out with the new, in with the newer. I put 20 miles on the 10W30 oil change.
Jump to top MJMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-27-2009, 01:56:45 AM   #9
Cleveland
///M POWERED

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMM3 View Post
No oil used at my 2nd oil change at 8.5K miles (first change was done at 1200 miles at the dealer at its cost). I spent $450 on it tho. First I took it to a favorite garage, and they put in 9.3 quarts of 10W30 full synthetic($200).

Then I got nervous and checked the internet. There I discovered this engine takes a special 10w60 Castrol oil (seems like they could have mentioned that some where in the owner's manual). No wonder the gas mileage sucks! So I had that done at my BMW dealership ($250).

I might not have worried but I have a track day scheduled. So out with the new, in with the newer. I put 20 miles on the 10W30 oil change.
Damn dude...450 large on two oil changes?

Yikes! My wallet hurts from just hearing that...

BTW: I think it's safe to say...that you have the ideal oil consumption rate.
Old Sat, Jun-27-2009, 04:24:34 PM   #10
Hugh Jass

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMM3 View Post
Then I got nervous and checked the internet. There I discovered this engine takes a special 10w60 Castrol oil (seems like they could have mentioned that some where in the owner's manual).

It's actually mentioned several times in your owner's manual. There's also a prominent label with this information on it, located under the hood of your car.
Jump to top Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote