BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Website Notes and Issues > Member Notes and Requests to Admin/Mods
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Notes and Requests to Admin/Mods Having issues with the site? Just want to make suggestions. Want to discuss other stuff with the website admin? This is the forum.

Old Thu, Nov-09-2017, 05:28:51 PM   #1
Bluestrike2

United States

Lightbulb Suggested fix for old photobucket image URLs

I'm a longtime reader on here, and I've found the various DIY guides on the forum to be invaluable over the years with my E46 M3. But as I'm sure everyone's noticed here and elsewhere for the past few months, Photobucket's rather asinine change in pricing strategy has pretty much gutted the usefulness some of those older DIY guides. The same picture-heavy approach that made them so damned useful now hurts them.

There are some browser extensions (still working as of this post) that help users do an end run around Photobucket's annoying p500 hotlink replacement, but there's no guarantee that they'll continue to work in the long-term. Some of the other extensions have had to be updated multiple times to continue working and aren't working right now, for instance. In any case, browser extensions leave the onus on the user to figure out that there's an alternative and track down a working extension they can install for their preferred browser.

I haven't used it myself, but there's an interesting set of scripts for re-uploading Photobucket links to Imgur. You'd first dump the output of a SQL query selecting entries containing '%photobucket.com%' URLs to a text file and then use the scripts to go through, re-upload the images to Imgur using the Imgur API, and then replace the original URLs with the new ones. Then run the replace.js script to update the appropriate database entries by replacing the old URLs with the new.

While it wouldn't do anything with images that have been deleted on people's Photobucket accounts, it'd fix the majority of Photobucket images linked on the forum. You'd have to adjust the script to look at the 'post' table used by vBulletin and I'd *strongly* recommend a test run on the replace.js script against a backup of the forum database just to make certain there are no problems.

I've only looked at the convert.js script very quickly, but given the trouble with some of the browser extensions needing to be updated, it's possible that the code for photobucket requests might need updated using the info from one of the currently working browser extensions.

Other changes could include appending links to the original Photobucket URLs after the replaced images. Also, the use of SELECT and UPDATE in the replace.js SQL queries looks very inefficient when you're talking about potentially tens of thousands of records.

I'll probably submit a pull request to the photobucket-imgur repository on Github or fork it and write something more efficient for larger databases. Anyhow, if you're at all interested in dealing with the Photobucket solution from your end, reply and I'll make that more of a priority. It's not a big task and I've got some free time later this week I can use.

Hope this idea helps.
Jump to top Bluestrike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 12:15:35 AM   #2
John_T
Ad Hoc

Reputation: 45 John_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Default Re: Suggested fix for old photobucket image URLs

I think your idea is great, it's just unfortunate that at the moment we don't have anyone on board who can access the database which may be somewhat less than stable as it is.
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 04:26:21 PM   #3
Bluestrike2

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T View Post
I think your idea is great, it's just unfortunate that at the moment we don't have anyone on board who can access the database which may be somewhat less than stable as it is.
Understandable.

If it helps, any stability issues are more likely either tied to the database server configuration itself rather than the MySQL instance running on it. Or sometimes, issues with the application (vBulletin, in this case) can give the impression of database problems. Especially if they're running on the same server. MySQL itself is generally pretty robust, unless it's configured oddly. In the past, I've preferred drop-in replacements (MariaDB or Percona Server) for forums and generally saw performance and stability gains as a result.

It's an entirely out-of-the-blue offer, but if you've got any questions and want to shoot me a PM, I may be able to at least give some answers that can point you in the right directions.

In any case, thanks for considering the Photobucket suggestion. It's a shame that they made it an issue in the first place .
Jump to top Bluestrike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 09:01:44 PM   #4
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

I'm pissed that they raised the annual costs, too. I was paying $25/year for unlimited hosting and now they want me to pay $60/year?

**** those guys.

I need a script that will update all my links on the web so I don't have to find every single place on the internet where I had images embedded on car forums and then update them lol

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 05:29:22 PM   #5
John_T
Ad Hoc

Reputation: 45 John_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond repute

United States

When and if the opportunity arrives I'll see what can be done.
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 06:45:08 PM   #6
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Also worth noting that imgur blocks linking from m3forum. Last time we approached them, they weren't very receptive to lifting that block.
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 08:07:13 PM   #7
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

I'm willing to pay for and use any image hosting service, really - just so long as they don't try and shaft their users with sudden outrageous price hikes.

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote