BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Thu, Nov-09-2017, 04:32:10 PM   #21
f.millan

United States

Default Re: S54 stubbornly high oil temps, thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
Stock/factory oil temp gauge readings?
Yea off the stock guage for now. I don't want to go through mounting annolog guage cause I'll eventually have an aim dash.
Jump to top f.millan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 06:15:11 PM   #22
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Update!

After thoroughly reworking the ducting (now using speed tape + E36 Euro M3 oil cooler duct) to seal the oil cooler to the front bumper and separate it from the radiator airflow, PLUS the installation of the oil diverter valve, I'm seeing amazing oil temps.

Recap, pre- oil diverter and reworked ducting: 275F oil temps (~300F from stock gauge equivalent) in 100F ambient would occur in 3 laps or less of hard driving on track.

Now, post oil-diverter and reworked ducting: 245F oil temps (~255F stock gauge equivalent data), in 70F ambient, only reached at the end of the 25 minute session of HARD use. This track day I was consistently 3-5 seconds faster than the 100F day, so the car was being worked a LOT harder.

While the ambient temp difference definitely makes the numbers not super comparable, the time it took to go from session start to hot oil was so much longer that I could push the entire session instead of give up within 3 laps. I consider that a major major win, even though I'm sure temps will be hotter during the summer. Definitely chalking this up to a successful experiment that requires further testing. Shucks, not more track testing....

Water temps were astonishing. 178-185F max. Cooler air & cooler oil---> cooler water.
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 06:17:49 PM   #23
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Awesome, dude!

Pics of the new duct work?

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 06:23:54 PM   #24
docwyte
Track addict

United States

Sent you a pm, have the part # for that duct and where'd you get it? I just added the euro oil cooler to my car and need to create ducting for it...

'98 BMW M3 Track Rat
'06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 521hp Daily Driver
Jump to top docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 06:37:17 PM   #25
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

I'll try to post some pics this afternoon. I didn't take a ton while I was doing it since I was crunching to get the car done before the weekend.

I replied to your PM, but for the thread's sake-- https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/ is the part. Probably can be bought elsewhere too, I bought it used from German ebay for $30+ship.

It will NOT fit under the US E36 AC aux fan and condenser. You will either need to use the Euro M3 bits (which is what I was intending on and then got lazy) or run without, or build something out of sheet metal.

The pics will illustrate this better also, but the oil cooler duct will not bolt up to any of the US M3 radiator shrouds-- you will have to use tape and/or zip ties to locate it, but that has held up marvelously through rain and kerb hopping for me. As a nice plus, it does not conflict with the motion motorsport under panel.
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 06:37:24 PM   #26
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Ambient and track temps are a huge factor. Oil temps stayed near the right right anytime it was above 80 degrees. I知 pretty sure you値l find that your oil temps will be just as high when its a little hotter outside.

I saw a slight improvement with the diverter valve but still not getting the oil temps I知 comfortable with.

Shift points make a huge difference as well. We池e you shifting at redline both times? I can run all day in 90 degree heat shifting at 7k rpm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 06:43:18 PM   #27
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Ambient and track temps are a huge factor. Oil temps stayed near the right right anytime it was above 80 degrees. I知 pretty sure you値l find that your oil temps will be just as high when its a little hotter outside.

I saw a slight improvement with the diverter valve but still not getting the oil temps I知 comfortable with.

Shift points make a huge difference as well. We池e you shifting at redline both times? I can run all day in 90 degree heat shifting at 7k rpm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup, shifting at 78-8300. I'm sure the temps will rise quite a lot with hotter weather. I'd be OK with that so long as I reach the 275F+ hot temps by the end of the session rather than 3 laps in.

I noticed at the hot day that shifting at 7k dropped oil temps at the gauge by a good 20F, so I completely agree.

Like I said, I am hoping this setup will let me push hard for more laps during summer heat, and if not, then bigger coolers and some rethinking is in order. I can't think of much else I haven't tried or experimented with at this point, beyond hood venting/ducting.
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 06:54:48 PM   #28
docwyte
Track addict

United States

I still have the OEM pusher fan and condenser, bummer! I was really hoping for a factory basically bolt in arrangement.

So I'd have to source the Euro pusher fan/condenser? Or an S54 MZ3 pusher fan/condenser?

Ugh. Might just be easier/cheaper to fab up a custom lower panel...

'98 BMW M3 Track Rat
'06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 521hp Daily Driver
Jump to top docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 06:56:40 PM   #29
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
I still have the OEM pusher fan and condenser, bummer! I was really hoping for a factory basically bolt in arrangement.

So I'd have to source the Euro pusher fan/condenser? Or an S54 MZ3 pusher fan/condenser?

Ugh. Might just be easier/cheaper to fab up a custom lower panel...
Euro pusher fan/condenser is your only option. S54 Z3 extends down and actually fully covers the oil cooler so no ducting will work (thought and checked on a friends' car).

Cheaper to fab up a lower panel for sure, if you are keeping AC or not converting to Euro AC (my eventual plan)
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 01:16:49 AM   #30
m3elmo

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
I can't think of much else I haven't tried or experimented with at this point, beyond hood venting/ducting.
hood venting, especially the center one will help a lot with temps.