BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Dec-15-2009, 12:46:49 AM   #1
///M_CRUSH

United States

Exclamation having some problems with my vanos/SES light

hey there guys i just bought my 2003 m3 a month ago wit 90k on the odometer.Everything was going fine wit the car when my dad was driving it home,on the way home the SES light turned on.I took it to my uncles shop and checked it with a regular OBD-II scanner and it told me thats its a faulty camshaft positioning sensor for the intake and i had the light turned off.Then it came back on about 2 days later so i took it to this local bmw shop and had them check out the issue and the scanner they used gave me a completely different reading then what my uncles said.it told me it was my air mass meter and my an o2 sensor which was really random when he told me and i thought that was strange and thought maybe hes just saying that to get business out of me,so i had him turn off the light.so the light was off and i went home and left about 30 minutes later and my light came back on so i was like ...so finally today i took my car to the M SHOP out in eagle rock and had them check to see what the problem was and when he was done he gave me a print out of what this issue was and it told me error 184 Function, inlet vanos,type of fault at the 1th occurrence, Spec value not reached/possibly no pressure(OBD-II code: P0012).that was the first code the second was fault was 72 inlet vanos,retard valve,type of fault at the 1th occurrence,open circuit or short circuit(OBD-II code :P1525) then the guy did a vanos test and it said inlet retard 59.5*cr and inlet advance 59.6*cr, vanos position output last is outside the tolerance band,check valve timing adjust if necessary,if valve timing ok:check vanos hydraulic unit. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM.but the car drives with no issus what so ever..so any help would be great to solve this issue
Jump to top ///M_CRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Dec-15-2009, 12:56:41 AM   #2
.333 snubnose

United States

your bmw dealer may be blowing smoke up your @$$...mine told me that a faulty exhaust air temp sensor was causing my issues. Are you fu*king kidding me? Temp sensor causing vanos errors?

I had the same fault codes as you (P0011 and P1525) and it was the vanos solenoid failing. Dealer goodwilled the repair...but not until I called them out on a "temp sensor" diagnosis with a $900 price tag. BS!

If your car is running fine at the moment, I am guessing that the solenoid is starting to fail and only experiencing intermittent issues. If you continue to drive like that, your problem is bound to get worse as the soleniod gives out. Dont wait too long. Search VANOS...many threads to help you out.
Old Tue, Dec-15-2009, 01:22:03 AM   #3
///M_CRUSH

United States

what millage did your car have when your vanos started to go wrong..plus im not sure if ill have the luck u had wit the dealership because i have yet to take my car there and i know they will charge and arm and a leg just too look at that the car
Old Tue, Dec-15-2009, 05:19:07 PM   #4
///M_CRUSH

United States

has anybody ever bought a vanos unit off DR.VANOS before?
Old Tue, Dec-15-2009, 08:36:27 PM   #5
.333 snubnose

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_CRUSH View Post
what millage did your car have when your vanos started to go wrong..plus im not sure if ill have the luck u had wit the dealership because i have yet to take my car there and i know they will charge and arm and a leg just too look at that the car
50K miles
True...they will get you for one hour labor at the least, maybe $150, just for diagnosis. Do your research and consider swapping the solenoid yourself. If you can't afford the repair, maybe replace the sealing plate between the vanos housing and the solenoid. There's a slight chance that worn, flattened o-rings in the plate may disrupt oil flow and cause issues with the variable timing. Take a look at this helpful thread by Tonester:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...light=30+vanos
Old Thu, Aug-15-2013, 02:15:08 AM   #6
Oldboy

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: having some problems with my vanos/SES light

Exact same codes. Sounds like maybe my vanos solenoid maybe startind to fail. Anyone else have any insight? Codes 72 and 184.
Old Thu, Aug-15-2013, 02:27:27 AM   #7
waldron80

In the garage:

United States

Read the following material:

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

Like others have said it sounds like your solenoid pack is failing.

You can also read a lot of info in this thread:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=371195

Good Luck!

My RTAB Experience - Don't do what I did....
Often requested Tire Size Calculator -- My 3.5mm AUX install -- My home grown Maintenance Spreadsheet
Jump to top waldron80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2013, 08:23:39 PM   #8
maynard423

United States

I had these after a Vanos rufurb. Replaced the solenoid with a Besian unit and cleaned the valve body twice. Still had the codes. Ended up resetting the timing. My intake hub had slipped and threw the timing outside the acceptable range. Are you sure the previous owner hasn't done any work on the Vanos before you purchased it?
Old Fri, Aug-16-2013, 01:27:30 AM   #9
waldron80

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard423 View Post
I had these after a Vanos rufurb. Replaced the solenoid with a Besian unit and cleaned the valve body twice. Still had the codes. Ended up resetting the timing. My intake hub had slipped and threw the timing outside the acceptable range. Are you sure the previous owner hasn't done any work on the Vanos before you purchased it?
You bring up an interesting point I hadn't heard of before. I wonder how often our engines need the timing reset because the hub slips. When I removed my hub to complete the Beisan Systems solution the bolts were night on that tight. I bet this is something that is over looked more often than we think.

My RTAB Experience - Don't do what I did....
Often requested Tire Size Calculator -- My 3.5mm AUX install -- My home grown Maintenance Spreadsheet
Jump to top waldron80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-16-2013, 02:17:00 AM   #10
maynard423

United States

The first time i used the B.S. procedure. When i went back in to check it i had TurboToy help me and we set the Vanos gears into the hubs first and i torqued all the hubs bolts to an even 10 ft lbs. What did you torque the hub bolts down to? I wouldn't imagine that the hubs slipping would be a widespread issue. I've only known it to occur after hubs have been removed. There is a fine line you walk when torquing these with the Vanos attached unless you have the BMW special tool.

Last edited by maynard423; Fri, Aug-16-2013 at 02:23:31 AM.
Jump to top maynard423 is offline   Reply With Quote