BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Nov-07-2014, 08:54:29 PM   #151
promitheas81

In the garage:

Greece

Default Re: M3 SMG pump reconditioning

Yes,thats correct..
I changed the comutator and the bearings.
Bearings new, but comutator from eight years used dsc motor..
Jump to top promitheas81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-07-2014, 08:58:33 PM   #152
RedM3/4

United States

While I have not seen the brushes and this is counter-intuitive and poor design, as brushes should be designed to wear well more than the commutator, yes, his commutator is very worn. Look closely at the pics again. You can see the relief wear of the commutator against the original diameter in the first couple of pics, then he shows the motor he scavenged the commutator from that is NOT this way.

Mad props to promitheas81 for getting that commutator swapped out! That had to be a PITA!

ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceSE2 View Post
Thank you very much promitheas81 for taking the time to snap pictures and share your experience!
So I assume the brushes where OK, and that its the comutator that wears. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-12-2015, 11:50:38 PM   #153
sirmix1

In the garage:

United States

Hi everyone,

I have been getting consistent SMG warning light coming on during 70 degree F days (not very hot). I had my accumulator replaced, but the smg light came back. Then I had the temperature sensor replaced on the smg pump but the smg light came back. I'm all in for $1800 damage and the issue is still not resolved. Of course, I replaced the SMG relay already.

Basically, relay, accumulator and temp sensor all replaced but still not fixed.

The fault codes I'm getting are:

056 on period hydraulic unit (40 times)
053 hydraulic pressure loss in system (34 times)

Since I had the temperature sensor replaced, there's no point in doing the resistor MOD, right?

The very last thing I am thinking of trying is replacing/reconditioning the pump motor? Any suggestions?

I will have my battery checked to make sure it is not the root cause.

Thanks
Jump to top sirmix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-22-2015, 05:26:46 PM   #154
promitheas81

In the garage:

Greece

Hello,
After six months and 5000 km my pump motor working GREAT!!!!
Thanks
Jump to top promitheas81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-17-2015, 09:10:43 AM   #155
mitesh33

United Kingdom

Smile Re: M3 SMG pump reconditioning

Hi Steve,

So happy i've found this post. i'm also in the UK and will be sending my Motor off to Robson & Francis.

I'll send him some pictures and notes from this post if it helps them,

Is there anything I need to make them aware of? as I know from reading this post you had issues with them losing the seal and regarding the bearing alignment?

I'm guessing your motor is still running fine? how many miles you done with the refurb motor?

I'm just getting the 56 Time error and the car has done 120k.

Exterior: Individual Estroil Blue / Genuine CSL 19s

Interior: Individual Two Tone Gray/Black Leather

Engine: OEM

Suspension: OEM

Exhaust: OEM
Jump to top mitesh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-17-2015, 11:16:12 PM   #156
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmix1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been getting consistent SMG warning light coming on during 70 degree F days (not very hot). I had my accumulator replaced, but the smg light came back. Then I had the temperature sensor replaced on the smg pump but the smg light came back. I'm all in for $1800 damage and the issue is still not resolved. Of course, I replaced the SMG relay already.

Basically, relay, accumulator and temp sensor all replaced but still not fixed.

The fault codes I'm getting are:

056 on period hydraulic unit (40 times)
053 hydraulic pressure loss in system (34 times)

Since I had the temperature sensor replaced, there's no point in doing the resistor MOD, right?

The very last thing I am thinking of trying is replacing/reconditioning the pump motor? Any suggestions?

I will have my battery checked to make sure it is not the root cause.

Thanks
While I don't think that is your issue, you may have a short in the harness, ask me how I know (in which case the resistor mod won't help either, you have to mod the resistor mod, the resistor mod mod)?
But, you seem to very clearly have a leak somewhere. If you are not losing fluid, I'd suspect the accumulator even though you already changed it.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-13-2015, 09:53:26 PM   #157
machfly

United States

I have an 04' M3 with SMG, it has 119k on the clock. I have recently had my smg malfunction indicator come on intermittently. When the light comes on the smg goes into a limp mode and shifts in a very rough weird way. If I shut down the car for a bit and the light will usually go and then its fine. The last week or so it had been happening daily and can happen at any time, however there is a couple times when switching from R to 1 there was a little thud and the light came on. This has happened a few times but have also had it come on just driving on freeway as well. It doesn't ever drop out of gear, the light comes on then it shifts weird. Any ideas? This seems to be different than most of the issues here? It seems this may be a pump issue but thought someone here may have some insight? The SMG pump and trans is original other that fluid which was done very recently.
Jump to top machfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-13-2015, 11:04:13 PM   #158
sleeks

United States

Pull codes, change the relay and check your fluid level. Let us know what codes say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 ///M3 - Steel Grey/Black 6MT

Installed: Beisan / APEX / Dinan / PFC / Stoptech / Redish / Bimmerworld / AKG
Jump to top sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-30-2015, 06:26:33 PM   #159
sirmix1

In the garage:

United States

Anyone in Bay Area, CA has replaced SMG pump themselves? Need some help to get it out. Of course, I can pay you for your time.
Jump to top sirmix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-16-2015, 05:55:48 PM   #160
Dan Rodriguez

United States

I had SMG issues for a while, especially during hot weather. Replacing the temperature sensor did not fix the problem. After reading through this thread, I figured the next step would be to replace the motor and hopefully avoid replacing the entire pump. I removed the SMG pump and motor and found all kinds of gunk built up (see pics). Confident that I had found the problem, I ordered a new motor.

I ordered from ioilservice.de. It's the same company that sells on ebay but the price was cheaper ordering directly from them. Shipping was reasonably fast considering it ships from Europe. The price at the time (April 2015) was 328 Euros + 36 for shipping. Their price now is 430 Euros and they do not seem to be in stock. With that huge increase I don't know if they are still the cheapest place.

The new motor has been in for several months now. The sound of the pump priming is much stronger than before. I have not had any issues even during a hot summer in Texas. Thanks to Steve and everyone else who contributed to finding a relatively cheap solution to this common SMG problem!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]