BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Nov-25-2010, 10:29:15 PM   #1
Chiral

In the garage:

United States

Default SES + SMG Light, Codes read

This is a 2004 M3 with 65k miles, SMG.

Kept falling out of gear into neutral SMG light came on, Shut car off. Turned car back on SES + SMG light are on now, car falls out of gear. All this happened once while it was hot out 95+ and also when it was 50 degrees. Took to dealer for Drivetrain warranty.

Read codes with Launch Tool

DME -
[1, 32, 0, b1], Please refer to relevant technical manual
105 - Engine temp signal implausible (Car has never overheated)
196 - Misfire Cyl 2 w/o cutout
197 - Misfire Cyl 3 w/o cutout
198 - Misfire Cyl 4 w/o cutout
209 - Misfire Cyl 5 w/o cutout
213 - Misfire Several cyl w/o cutout

SMG -
056 - ON period, hydraulic unit (OBD II : P1717)

Dealer replaced some wiring harness, Outside temp sensor and diff seals

I replaced the Salmon SMG relay and the SMG reservoir to pump line because of some seeping fluid. Reservoir was full before. Reset codes and drove. Same thing happened again.

My concern is not the SMG code as that is being replaced under warranty. But what is the DME code? I couldn't find anything about it anywhere. All I know is code b1 is SMG control unit telling DME something is wrong. AllData wasn't any help. What are codes 1, 32, 0, and all the misfire codes?

Thanks in advance!

- Hirad
Jump to top Chiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-26-2010, 03:46:05 AM   #2
fergraz

Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiral View Post
This is a 2004 M3 with 65k miles, SMG.

Kept falling out of gear into neutral SMG light came on, Shut car off. Turned car back on SES + SMG light are on now, car falls out of gear. All this happened once while it was hot out 95+ and also when it was 50 degrees. Took to dealer for Drivetrain warranty.

Read codes with Launch Tool

DME -
[1, 32, 0, b1], Please refer to relevant technical manual
105 - Engine temp signal implausible (Car has never overheated)
196 - Misfire Cyl 2 w/o cutout
197 - Misfire Cyl 3 w/o cutout
198 - Misfire Cyl 4 w/o cutout
209 - Misfire Cyl 5 w/o cutout
213 - Misfire Several cyl w/o cutout

SMG -
056 - ON period, hydraulic unit (OBD II : P1717)

Dealer replaced some wiring harness, Outside temp sensor and diff seals

I replaced the Salmon SMG relay and the SMG reservoir to pump line because of some seeping fluid. Reservoir was full before. Reset codes and drove. Same thing happened again.

My concern is not the SMG code as that is being replaced under warranty. But what is the DME code? I couldn't find anything about it anywhere. All I know is code b1 is SMG control unit telling DME something is wrong. AllData wasn't any help. What are codes 1, 32, 0, and all the misfire codes?

Thanks in advance!

- Hirad
I had the same codes in the past. Misfire codes due bad coils and SMG 56 code due bad SMG pump.

2002 SMG ///M3 Tiag/Gray leather All Stock with 3x,xxx Miles
Jump to top fergraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-26-2010, 07:23:03 AM   #3
riceboyjin

United States

I had the exact problem. I spent lots of money replacing everything from relay to harness and the inevitable SMG Hydraulic pump went out. These are common for beamers around 80k and over. Hate to break the bad news to you. Mine happens when you drive and locks up displaying "0" on the gear and have to pull over and let it cool down and maybe it will shift into gear. The tranny warning light always go on and usually after you warm it up.
Jump to top riceboyjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-26-2010, 09:52:48 PM   #4
Chiral

In the garage:

United States

Just dropped off at dealer today, Ill let you know what happens when Im updated on the info.
Old Fri, Dec-03-2010, 05:27:36 AM   #5
Chiral

In the garage:

United States

Got my M back from the dealer, they bled the hydraulic system and re-learned the clutch. Dove it about 80 miles in 3 days, same thing happens. SMG light and Check engine light. Car also now slips the clutch for a good 2-3 seconds from 2-3 at anything above 6k rpm. Fml. Dropping it back off at dealer on Monday.
Old Fri, Dec-03-2010, 07:14:05 AM   #6
HHH

United States

ouch man, I will cross my fingers for you!

do you have the BMW extended warranty?
Jump to top HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-09-2010, 08:48:54 PM   #7
Chiral

In the garage:

United States

So I took it back on tuesday this week and the dealership had me drive with one of their techs because they "couldnt recreate the problem" Well good news is the tech saw what happens and agreed it is an SMG pump problem so that is going to be replaced. Bad news is while driving with the tech some woman ran a stop sign right in front of my M and i ended up t-boning her car. Good news is airbags did not go off and no one was hurt, I get a new fender, bumper, and hood; car was still running fine no fluids or internal damage all cosmetic. Ill let you all know if the new pump fixes the problem (it should).

HHH - I dont have an extended warranty but the BMW dealer I bought the car from gave me a 60 day warranty and they are covering everything within the powertrain, including the pump.
Old Mon, Jun-22-2015, 10:46:04 PM   #8
pish180

United States

Default Re: SES + SMG Light, Codes read

Did you ever figure this out?

Interesting I have the code 56 on the SMG and it keeps coming out of gear, what is also interesting is that I have the DME code of 105 as well... Wonder if the resistor mod would work for this.
Jump to top pish180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-24-2015, 04:11:26 AM   #9
RedM3/4

United States

The resistory mod is seldom a permanent fix. You can replace the dc motor that powers the hcu, much cheaper than the whole HCU. Search, you'll find it.

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-24-2015, 09:56:24 PM   #10
rve
In ///M we trust.

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Indeed, the motor is the problem. My motor was completely dead so my shop opened it and found it full of brush dust - everywhere over rotor, stator, contacts etc. Got it cleaned, re-sealed and I'm enjoying flawless operation of my gearbox since more than 4k km of driving including in +35'C heat and traffic.

Jump to top rve is offline   Reply With Quote