BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Tue, Feb-05-2019, 05:41:41 PM   #11
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Cooling Upgrade Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Okay you’re in Texas so you’ve probably driven in the brutally hot weather conditions. Does the oil temp reaching the 3/4 mark not bother you?
I should clarify - if your oil cooler is FUBAR, I'd swap *that* with a CSF or larger.

In my car, I've
Swapped the mechanical fan for electric -> Would recommend hands down, to avoid the risk of the mechanical fan exploding, and it gives lots of room to work on the front of the engine. Car used to overheat in traffic, doesn't with the old (tired) mechanical gone and swapped with SPAL.

Swapped the rad for Koyorad -> Would only recommend if you can get one at equal or lower cost to OE. I'm really happy with it, but the performance is about on par with OE.

Swapped the oil cooler with CSF -> Definitely the single largest improvement to track temps. Before I was consistently at dot or pushing toward red in coolant, and at the dot in oil temp, while this made it to where my coolant stays at just over 12:00 and oil usually under the dot.

Used silicone hoses -> The hoses are fine, but the fittings that attach to the rad were a total nightmare until I replaced the O-rings with Viton and silicone. I would go with OE or OE with silicone hoses, no aftermarket of any kind on the fittings.

While you're in there, you should probably replace the overflow tank and other assorted plastic bits, especially if your car has more than 75k
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-10-2019, 12:38:34 AM   #12
eacmen

United States

I love the electrical fan simply for ease of removal when working under the hood. Have had no issues with cooling on track so far.

OE hoses have not failed yet. I'd probably go silicone during a refresh.
Jump to top eacmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-10-2019, 02:22:03 PM   #13
duracellttu
I think fast, I talk fast and I drive fast...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
I should clarify - if your oil cooler is FUBAR, I'd swap *that* with a CSF or larger.

In my car, I've
Swapped the mechanical fan for electric -> Would recommend hands down, to avoid the risk of the mechanical fan exploding, and it gives lots of room to work on the front of the engine. Car used to overheat in traffic, doesn't with the old (tired) mechanical gone and swapped with SPAL.

Swapped the rad for Koyorad -> Would only recommend if you can get one at equal or lower cost to OE. I'm really happy with it, but the performance is about on par with OE.

Swapped the oil cooler with CSF -> Definitely the single largest improvement to track temps. Before I was consistently at dot or pushing toward red in coolant, and at the dot in oil temp, while this made it to where my coolant stays at just over 12:00 and oil usually under the dot.

Used silicone hoses -> The hoses are fine, but the fittings that attach to the rad were a total nightmare until I replaced the O-rings with Viton and silicone. I would go with OE or OE with silicone hoses, no aftermarket of any kind on the fittings.

While you're in there, you should probably replace the overflow tank and other assorted plastic bits, especially if your car has more than 75k

Can you share the details on the part number, size and source of the viton o-rings? Thanks!

2005 BMW M3 ZCP - Black/Black 2M Autowerks Full Respray and Restoration: RKP Slicktop Conversion, OE CSL Trunk, JCSL Diffuser
Paul Claudes Custom Tune | Kassel Performance CSL ECU Conversion | Lang Stage Stage 2.5 Head | 288/280 Schrick Cams | CSL Karbonious Airbox | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch
TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM | AKG FCABs, RTABs, SFBs | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL Fan | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Jump to top duracellttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-10-2019, 04:13:28 PM   #14
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Standby..
I’ve filed an insurance claim bc bumper, radiator air duct, rad support, belly pan, aux fan, maybe water pump, radiator, AC condenser, and oil cooler are ****ed. That’s like $2k worth of parts.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-10-2019, 05:20:02 PM   #15
duracellttu

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Standby..
Iíve filed an insurance claim bc bumper, radiator air duct, rad support, belly pan, aux fan, maybe water pump, radiator, AC condenser, and oil cooler are ****ed. Thatís like $2k worth of parts.

If you find a way for insurance to cover maintenance work, please let the rest of us know haha

2005 BMW M3 ZCP - Black/Black 2M Autowerks Full Respray and Restoration: RKP Slicktop Conversion, OE CSL Trunk, JCSL Diffuser
Paul Claudes Custom Tune | Kassel Performance CSL ECU Conversion | Lang Stage Stage 2.5 Head | 288/280 Schrick Cams | CSL Karbonious Airbox | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch
TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM | AKG FCABs, RTABs, SFBs | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL Fan | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Old Sun, Feb-10-2019, 05:31:55 PM   #16
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracellttu View Post
If you find a way for insurance to cover maintenance work, please let the rest of us know haha
Theyíre parts damaged by the coyote...
Old Thu, Feb-14-2019, 05:23:25 PM   #17
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Insurance came back with a $3,800 repair estimate...
I've attached a list of what I will be ordering.

Quote:

In my car, I've

I'm gonna delete both fans and replace with one SPAL fan, install CSF oil cooler (OE has damaged fins), and get an OE radiator.

The silicon hoses that both ECS and BW sell come with OE/OEM fittings. Do you think I'll be fine with either of those?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (149.2 KB, 21 views)
Old Thu, Feb-14-2019, 05:44:23 PM   #18
Olemiss540

United States

A couple items to consider:

- Delete belly pan and order undertray/splitter?
- Delete brake ducts/brackets and order proper backing plates/hoses?

Sounds like you have a great plan! Personally, I am not a fan of 550 dollar oil coolers and instead run Setrab or similar, but understand the desire to have OE mounted solution for simplicity. Also consider running AN adapter fittings for stainless braided lines as well as an oil diverter valve delete?
Jump to top Olemiss540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-15-2019, 02:38:41 AM   #19
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Insurance came back with a $3,800 repair estimate...
I've attached a list of what I will be ordering.

I'm gonna delete both fans and replace with one SPAL fan, install CSF oil cooler (OE has damaged fins), and get an OE radiator.

The silicon hoses that both ECS and BW sell come with OE/OEM fittings. Do you think I'll be fine with either of those?
The fittings I fought with were from BW, clearly made by Continental. They did great for several track days, mind you.. but the o-rings eventually wouldn't seal.

Based on images on ECS that don't show any grinding where there's usually a BMW logo, I'd go out on a limb and say they are not OE/ OEM

I'm not 100% sure if you can trash the front fan in you want to run AC, so I'd ask around on that one.

Don't forget O-rings for the cooler.

Sounds like you'll have a nicely refreshed track tool
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-15-2019, 03:03:31 AM   #20
duracellttu

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
The fittings I fought with were from BW, clearly made by Continental. They did great for several track days, mind you.. but the o-rings eventually wouldn't seal.

Based on images on ECS that don't show any grinding where there's usually a BMW logo, I'd go out on a limb and say they are not OE/ OEM

I'm not 100% sure if you can trash the front fan in you want to run AC, so I'd ask around on that one.

Don't forget O-rings for the cooler.

Sounds like you'll have a nicely refreshed track tool

Where did you find the high temp o-rings? Part number?