BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Tue, Oct-12-2010, 05:41:23 PM   #21
M302_IMOLA
"Just Six"
 
M302_IMOLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,426
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 M302_IMOLA is on a distinguished road
Location: Chatt Town

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBMWM3 View Post
I would just buy a new one. They are only about $30.
I'm assuming you are referring to a replacement pulley or were you talking about a belt?

I stopped by my buddies last night to investigate and of course I couldn't get the car to make the noise. We popped the hood and reved the engine to no avail. I didn't remove any of the belts to inspect the pullies but all the driven belts looked good.

For those of you who have regreased or replaced the pullies was this whistling sound constant or random? Seems to me that if it were a pulley the car would make the noise constantly, not just on cold startup. Am I off w/ my reasoning?
__________________
02' IR/IR
Current Mods: Painted front reflectors, matte black fender gills, carbon fiber roundels, Depo smoked corners, 19" Ruff Racing wheels wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12's (245/35F & 275/30R), Status Gruppe coilovers (7K/8K), RE RSM's, Powerflex RTAB's & FCAB's, DICE, CSL Rep Diffuser, CF Hamann Rep Lip, Magnaflow exhaust, Ebay headers, Streamline filter, Afe elbow, RPI scoops, ZHP knob, and EE LED tails.
WTB: OEM Front strut bar, Evolve stage II tune, 4.10's, and CF CSL rep Bootlid
Jump to top M302_IMOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-12-2010, 07:21:20 PM   #22
02m3silver/red
Registered User
 
02m3silver/red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 136
Reputation: 0 02m3silver/red is on a distinguished road
Location: Huntington Beach

United States




Default

mine was doing it on start up in the morning, and at random times, usually at idle i.e. sitting in line at a drive through or at a stop light when somebody was admiring the car . I figured it would have been consistant as well if it was the pullies, which was my reason to try to repack them myself, ( I did'nt want to buy new ones and put them on just to have the pullies not be the problem )
like FLBMWM3 said, they are only 30 bucks each new, and since the belt has to come off anyway a new one is a good idea as well. probally around 100 bucks or so for both pullies and a new belt.

you can also pop off the plastic bearing cover centers on the pullies with a screwdriver and wait until the car starts making the noise, and with the engine running ( make sure you have good aim )spray some liquid wrench or wd40 on the centers of each pulley, if it temporarily stops making the noise then you found your problem.
__________________
1995 M3 Avus Blue supercharged track car
2002 M3 Phoenix Yellow/Black SMG... sold
2002 M3 TiAg/Imola red 6 speed... sold
Jump to top 02m3silver/red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-12-2010, 08:31:58 PM   #23
M302_IMOLA
"Just Six"
 
M302_IMOLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,426
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 M302_IMOLA is on a distinguished road
Location: Chatt Town

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02m3silver/red View Post
mine was doing it on start up in the morning, and at random times, usually at idle i.e. sitting in line at a drive through or at a stop light when somebody was admiring the car . I figured it would have been consistant as well if it was the pullies, which was my reason to try to repack them myself, ( I did'nt want to buy new ones and put them on just to have the pullies not be the problem )
like FLBMWM3 said, they are only 30 bucks each new, and since the belt has to come off anyway a new one is a good idea as well. probally around 100 bucks or so for both pullies and a new belt.

you can also pop off the plastic bearing cover centers on the pullies with a screwdriver and wait until the car starts making the noise, and with the engine running ( make sure you have good aim )spray some liquid wrench or wd40 on the centers of each pulley, if it temporarily stops making the noise then you found your problem.
That's a great idea...thanks!
__________________
02' IR/IR
Current Mods: Painted front reflectors, matte black fender gills, carbon fiber roundels, Depo smoked corners, 19" Ruff Racing wheels wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12's (245/35F & 275/30R), Status Gruppe coilovers (7K/8K), RE RSM's, Powerflex RTAB's & FCAB's, DICE, CSL Rep Diffuser, CF Hamann Rep Lip, Magnaflow exhaust, Ebay headers, Streamline filter, Afe elbow, RPI scoops, ZHP knob, and EE LED tails.
WTB: OEM Front strut bar, Evolve stage II tune, 4.10's, and CF CSL rep Bootlid
Jump to top M302_IMOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-12-2010, 11:32:34 PM   #24
agent M
Registered User
 
agent M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 774
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 agent M is on a distinguished road
Location: Everywhere

Canada




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_IMOLA View Post
I didn't remove any of the belts to inspect the pullies but all the driven belts looked good.

For those of you who have regreased or replaced the pullies was this whistling sound constant or random? Seems to me that if it were a pulley the car would make the noise constantly, not just on cold startup. Am I off w/ my reasoning?
You can't tell by looking at the belt. I don't think its the pulley but you got nothing to loose by checking it. Change the belt and see because it the least will cost you to find out. GL
__________________
2004 M3 Silver Gray / CSL Header and Cats / SS Non Res. X-Pipe / RE El Diablo Exhaust / Hotchkis Swaybar / CDV Delete / KW v2 / RE RSM / OEM RTAB with TMS Limiter / RD Sport Rims 19' / Michelin Super Sport tires / Axxis Pads / Reinforcement Kit / Smoke Corner / Kamei Eyelid / 50% Tinted / Painted Shadow Grille / Umnitza Halo light / Hanman Lip / CF Diffusor / Side Clear Protector / Alpine CDE-103BT / JL Amp 500/1 / JBL Sub / Bimmian Mobile Dash Mount / CF Emblems / CF Side Grill / Euro Center Console Tray / Autosolution SSK 30% / Aluminum Foot Pedals / Chrome E-Brake / AA Shift knob / AA Sport Fan Clutch / AEM Boost Gauge / AEM Wide Band Gauge / Oil Catch Can / CF Wrap/ 3.91 diff / Aluminum Dipstick / OM Bootlid
Active Auto HKS Gen 6 Level 1.5
Jump to top agent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 06:54:48 AM   #25
lbrsupra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 532
Reputation: 0 lbrsupra is on a distinguished road
Location: Fremont,CA

Mexico




Default

Its your secondary air pump. It only makes the noise on a cold start in the morning. You either need to check the connecting hose for leaks or you might have to replace the pump. Other than the cold start its never really used so you wont hear it again after the cars warm.
Jump to top lbrsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 07:01:37 AM   #26
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!
 
MPOWERD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,891
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 MPOWERD is on a distinguished road
Location: Texas

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_IMOLA View Post
...



Since you're in Texas and it has been getting cooler, have you been hearing it more lately?
Sorry for the delayed answer... Yes I heard it after not hearing it all summer, just a couple of weeks or so ago.
__________________
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91859&dateline=123241  4897
2003.5 e46 ///M 3 TiAg Cabriolet SMG II...

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Jump to top MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 01:49:12 PM   #27
Stellaris
Registered User
 
Stellaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 572
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Stellaris is on a distinguished road
Location: Charlotte

United States




Default

not to thread jack, but I sometimes have what sounds almost like a clunk or a pipe hitting somethign real quick and gives that hollow reverberation sound for a second on some cold start ups. its not 100% of the time and I havent ever been able to figure out what it is, anyone else ever experience this?
__________________

2004 Jet Black M3 6MT


Linea Corse LM // KWv2 // CSL Bumper // CSL Diffuser // Depo Smoke Corners // JL Audio // Kenwood // Macht Schnell Spacers // Toyo T1R // AFE Stage 1 // Supersprint Race // 1x1 CF Interior Trim
Jump to top Stellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 05:10:23 PM   #28
M302_IMOLA
"Just Six"
 
M302_IMOLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,426
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 M302_IMOLA is on a distinguished road
Location: Chatt Town

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent M View Post
You can't tell by looking at the belt. I don't think its the pulley but you got nothing to loose by checking it. Change the belt and see because it the least will cost you to find out. GL
True, it would be the least expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrsupra View Post
Its your secondary air pump. It only makes the noise on a cold start in the morning. You either need to check the connecting hose for leaks or you might have to replace the pump. Other than the cold start its never really used so you wont hear it again after the cars warm.
Are you talking from experience? If so how much is the part and how difficult is the diy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Modness View Post
Sorry for the delayed answer... Yes I heard it after not hearing it all summer, just a couple of weeks or so ago.
it's all good...thanks for the info.
__________________
02' IR/IR
Current Mods: Painted front reflectors, matte black fender gills, carbon fiber roundels, Depo smoked corners, 19" Ruff Racing wheels wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12's (245/35F & 275/30R), Status Gruppe coilovers (7K/8K), RE RSM's, Powerflex RTAB's & FCAB's, DICE, CSL Rep Diffuser, CF Hamann Rep Lip, Magnaflow exhaust, Ebay headers, Streamline filter, Afe elbow, RPI scoops, ZHP knob, and EE LED tails.
WTB: OEM Front strut bar, Evolve stage II tune, 4.10's, and CF CSL rep Bootlid
Jump to top M302_IMOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-16-2010, 05:00:51 AM   #29
lbrsupra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 532
Reputation: 0 lbrsupra is on a distinguished road
Location: Fremont,CA

Mexico




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_IMOLA View Post
True, it would be the least expensive.



Are you talking from experience? If so how much is the part and how difficult is the diy?



it's all good...thanks for the info.

Happened to my buddys M on cold mornings. We were able to track it down to that secondary air pump. Just when you start your car on a cold morning go and put your ear right on top of it. You will be able to distinctly hear it. Its a piece a cake to replace, it just unsnaps out if thats where the noise is coming from. -Mark
Jump to top lbrsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-18-2010, 05:32:28 PM   #30
M302_IMOLA
"Just Six"
 
M302_IMOLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,426
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 M302_IMOLA is on a distinguished road
Location: Chatt Town

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrsupra View Post
Happened to my buddys M on cold mornings. We were able to track it down to that secondary air pump. Just when you start your car on a cold morning go and put your ear right on top of it. You will be able to distinctly hear it. Its a piece a cake to replace, it just unsnaps out if thats where the noise is coming from. -Mark
Thanks...does anyone have a diagram to show where the secondary air pump is located? I want to give the ole "ear" test and see if it is the culprit.
__________________
02' IR/IR
Current Mods: Painted front reflectors, matte black fender gills, carbon fiber roundels, Depo smoked corners, 19" Ruff Racing wheels wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12's (245/35F & 275/30R), Status Gruppe coilovers (7K/8K), RE RSM's, Powerflex RTAB's & FCAB's, DICE, CSL Rep Diffuser, CF Hamann Rep Lip, Magnaflow exhaust, Ebay headers, Streamline filter, Afe elbow, RPI scoops, ZHP knob, and EE LED tails.
WTB: OEM Front strut bar, Evolve stage II tune, 4.10's, and CF CSL rep Bootlid
Jump to top M302_IMOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cold, sound, start, whistling

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:45:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Whistling sound upon cold start up in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)