BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Oct-10-2010, 10:57:43 PM   #11
M302_IMOLA
"Just Six"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBMWM3 View Post
I would lean towards the alternator or possibly the tensioners.
Yeah I was thinking that it could possibly be the tensioner pulleys. Drove the car today and didn't hear the whistling noise possibly because it was warm (85 deg.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er4Life View Post
To me it sounds like it may be secondary air pump. Maybe a vid would help.
What does the secondary air pump do? I will try to get a video of the noise the problem is that it happens at random times and I'm not sure a camera can capture the noise.
Current Mods: Painted front reflectors, matte black fender gills, carbon fiber roundels, Depo smoked corners, 19" Ruff Racing wheels wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12's (245/35F & 275/30R), Status Gruppe coilovers (7K/8K), RE RSM's, Powerflex RTAB's & FCAB's, DICE, CSL Rep Diffuser, CF Hamann Rep Lip, Magnaflow exhaust, Ebay headers, Streamline filter, Afe elbow, RPI scoops, ZHP knob, and EE LED tails.
WTB: OEM Front strut bar, Evolve stage II tune, 4.10's, and CF CSL rep Bootlid
Jump to top M302_IMOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-11-2010, 12:04:41 AM   #12
flow350
Banned

United States

For me, it was the top idler pulley. If you pull the belt off and spin the pullies, you will know which one is the problem. I simply relubed mine (repacked the bearings) and all was well. Pop the hood and listen around the pullies.
Jump to top flow350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-11-2010, 05:03:25 AM   #13
Black107

My car will make one banshee whistle/shriek as soon as I fire it up in the morning. Then I hear the whistling if I rev the car up and take my foot off the gas. When the revs drop down it whistles for a second and then goes away. Any thoughts?
Jump to top Black107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-11-2010, 07:48:49 AM   #14
K0nArtist

United States

I changed my belts and the sounds went away.
Jump to top K0nArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-11-2010, 02:12:46 PM   #15
agent M

In the garage:

Canada

Most likely is the belt. Since I got a S/C the belt whistle when it's cold. Once you drive it for a minute or so it will go away. The belt is cold and maybe worn. You should change the belt and see what happens since is a cheap way to correct it.
2004 M3 Silver Gray / CSL Header and Cats / SS Non Res. X-Pipe / RE El Diablo Exhaust / Hotchkis Swaybar / CDV Delete / KW v2 / RE RSM / OEM RTAB with TMS Limiter / RD Sport Rims 19' / Michelin Super Sport tires / Axxis Pads / Reinforcement Kit / Smoke Corner / Kamei Eyelid / 50% Tinted / Painted Shadow Grille / Umnitza Halo light / Hanman Lip / CF Diffusor / Side Clear Protector / Alpine CDE-103BT / JL Amp 500/1 / JBL Sub / Bimmian Mobile Dash Mount / CF Emblems / CF Side Grill / Euro Center Console Tray / Autosolution SSK 30% / Aluminum Foot Pedals / Chrome E-Brake / AA Shift knob / AA Sport Fan Clutch / AEM Boost Gauge / AEM Wide Band Gauge / Oil Catch Can / CF Wrap/ 3.91 diff / Aluminum Dipstick / OM Bootlid
Active Auto HKS Gen 6 Level 1.5
Jump to top agent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-11-2010, 05:36:52 PM   #16
M302_IMOLA
"Just Six"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow350 View Post
For me, it was the top idler pulley. If you pull the belt off and spin the pullies, you will know which one is the problem. I simply relubed mine (repacked the bearings) and all was well. Pop the hood and listen around the pullies.
So you didn't have to replace the pulley, just repacked and lubed and were good to go? Thanks for sharing, I will look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
My car will make one banshee whistle/shriek as soon as I fire it up in the morning. Then I hear the whistling if I rev the car up and take my foot off the gas. When the revs drop down it whistles for a second and then goes away. Any thoughts?
Same thing my car is doing. Seems to be worse on cooler mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0nArtist View Post
I changed my belts and the sounds went away.
Thanks, seems like the logical place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent M View Post
Most likely is the belt. Since I got a S/C the belt whistle when it's cold. Once you drive it for a minute or so it will go away. The belt is cold and maybe worn. You should change the belt and see what happens since is a cheap way to correct it.
true!
Current Mods: Painted front reflectors, matte black fender gills, carbon fiber roundels, Depo smoked corners, 19" Ruff Racing wheels wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12's (245/35F & 275/30R), Status Gruppe coilovers (7K/8K), RE RSM's, Powerflex RTAB's & FCAB's, DICE, CSL Rep Diffuser, CF Hamann Rep Lip, Magnaflow exhaust, Ebay headers, Streamline filter, Afe elbow, RPI scoops, ZHP knob, and EE LED tails.
Old Mon, Oct-11-2010, 07:02:10 PM   #17
02m3silver/red

United States

My car was doing this as well, I took the belt off and spun the idler pulley and tensioner pulley and both felt like old skateboard wheels. I took them off, pryed off the bearing seals and repacked them with some good wheel bearing grease (they were bone dry). It stopped the noise for me, but if nothing else 5 bucks for some bearing grease and an hour of time is cheap insurance to know the the bearings are not dryed out and going to seize up on you when you least expect it.
Jump to top 02m3silver/red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-11-2010, 09:25:52 PM   #18
M302_IMOLA
"Just Six"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02m3silver/red View Post
My car was doing this as well, I took the belt off and spun the idler pulley and tensioner pulley and both felt like old skateboard wheels. I took them off, pryed off the bearing seals and repacked them with some good wheel bearing grease (they were bone dry). It stopped the noise for me, but if nothing else 5 bucks for some bearing grease and an hour of time is cheap insurance to know the the bearings are not dryed out and going to seize up on you when you least expect it.
Thanks for sharing. Got to get the M over to my buddies garage to investigage.
Old Tue, Oct-12-2010, 12:24:58 AM   #19
FLBMWM3

United States

I would just buy a new one. They are only about $30.
Old Tue, Oct-12-2010, 02:42:16 AM   #20
VMM

United States

This is exactly what mine does. Only when cold in the am or if it hasn't been started for a few days. It lasts just 20-30 seconds then stops. I have had the car at the dealership no one has commented on it. I've had VANOS replaced under warranty. No warning lights or codes. It's been doing it for probably 3 years. I wonder if it's of any significance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post

2005 Interlagos Blue ZCP 6MT Cinnamon
2007 997 C4S Carmon Red 6MT Sand Beige
Jump to top VMM is offline   Reply With Quote