BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Nov-16-2010, 01:54:15 AM   #21
fitchesbass
I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it

United States

in the morning are you starting the car with the lights on?

Is it dependent on your headlights being on or off?

Although potentially another electrical idea....Some alternators operate in a temperature regulated manner...meaning they charge with different voltages depending on the temperature. Perhaps this is the cause. Although it wouldn't make sense since it probably would not support the accessories on long drives once it warmed up.

It certainly sounds electrical to me... but I'm trying to keep my mind open to other things while I think about it.

Prior BMWs:
E36 M3
E86 Z4MC
E92 M3

Last edited by fitchesbass; Tue, Nov-16-2010 at 03:17:54 AM.
Jump to top fitchesbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-16-2010, 02:14:35 AM   #22
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
nop

oil is thinner when hot...that s why you drain oil with a fully warmed up motor

a thinner oil flows better, which is why you don t drive balls-out until your car is warmed out
eh???
Quote:
An oil sold as 10w-40 is no thicker than 10 weight oil under Winter (10w) conditions, meaning below freezing. The 40 means it is no thinner than 40 weight oil at 212 Fahrenheit. So, the first number tells us the performance of the oil at or below the temperature of freezing water, and the second number tells us the performance at the temperature of boiling water. The chemicals added to the oil to accomplish this are called Viscosity Index Improvers (VIIs).
That's clearly saying that under Winter conditions the oil is thinner, and at operating temperature it is thicker than where it started (not saying it gets thicker as it gets hotter, JUST thicker than where it started in WINTER).

Quote:
A simple standard oil, for example a pure base stock, would be a single weight, like 30 weight. This pure oil would have no detergent additives to keep the engine clean. This oil would be relatively thick and difficult to pour at room temperature, and would thin out as the motor heated up. On a very cold day, say 10 below freezing, this oil would thicken to the point where you could not start your motor, and if you did, the oil pump could not pump the oil around to protect your motor. It used to be that to start their diesel trucks in the winter, truckers would add kerosene to their oil to thin it out. Then they had to hope the kerosene would burn off before it did any real damage. Today, synthetic oils that are rated 0W-40 flow normally down to 65 below zero and remove the need for engine block heaters or adding kerosene.

Last edited by Braymond141; Tue, Nov-16-2010 at 02:22:16 AM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-16-2010, 02:19:38 AM   #23
Cheeze

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
in the morning are you starting the car with the lights on?

Is it dependent on your headlights being on or off?

Although potentially electrical idea....Some alternators operate in a temperature regulated manner...meaning they charge with different voltages depending on the temperature. Perhaps this is the cause. Although it wouldn't make sense since it probably would not support the accessories on long drives once it warmed up.

It certainly sounds electrical to me... but I'm trying to keep my mind open to other things while I think about it.
Headlights are off when I'm starting, usually the stereo and climate control are on though. I tried turning the stereo and climate completely off when it's in the locked state and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Damn, that doesn't look like a fun time in your sig...
Jump to top Cheeze is offline   Reply With Quote