BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 04:46:23 PM   #1
Apps

United States

Default DataLogged VANOS low pressure

I have an s54 swapped e39 that I daily. Since the swap I have been experiencing rough/irregular running below ~2500rpm and at idle. I have not had a VANOS check procedure run because I use Renovelo ByteLogger to datalog the major VANOS parameters from the DME.

Using datalogging I see that the exhaust and intake struggle to follow the target vanos positions below 3000rpm. Especially in a circumstance where I was crusing and then put the clutch in and coasted to a stop - i.e. rpm dropped to idle suddenly.

Intake is harder to say because it moves so little at low engine speeds that it's not clear. Additionally I get intake and exhaust position control DTC's...many for exhaust over a given time and few for intake - again related to the amount of movement on intake side at low rpm.

I should mention in the past 1500 miles I replaced all VANOS seals with Beisan parts, replaced oil pump disk with Beisan unit, replaced solenoid pack with Beisan unit, cleaned valve body per Beisan instruction, installed Beisan rattle kit, and of course timed the VANOS. The VANOS max and min angles confirm that the timing range is correct/adequate.

My theory is that the accumulator has begun to fail and thus the extra volume/pressure needed at low rpm is not available to make VANOS adjustments. Based on the position of the accumulator it makes sense that the VANOS oil pump is low output and only passed a certain rpm (~3000rpm) does it have the capacity to provide nominal pressure at needed flow rate for the VANOS actuation to function.

I'm writing this thread to see if anyone agrees with this concept before I go ahead and buy a new accumulator based on this hypothesis.

Thoughts?

edit: Fixed pictures to attachments
Attached Images
File Type: png vanos_int.png (42.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png vanos_exh.png (60.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Apps; Tue, Jul-31-2018 at 06:57:12 PM.
Jump to top Apps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 05:42:01 PM   #2
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DataLogged VANOS low pressure

I don't have any useful thoughts on the question at hand, but how is the s54 e39? Been thinking that might be the fate of my 530i......

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 06:28:32 PM   #3
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

I'd be curious to see the improvement/ lack thereof after you change the accumulator... but I'd imagine VANOS under 3000 RPM falls into the "does it make that much of a difference"
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-18-2018, 01:14:19 AM   #4
Apps

United States

Obiodan - I'm enjoying it though there have been some CAN communication gremlins and mechanical obstacles to overcome (biggest is major machining of the oil pan...most frustrating the spacial constraints for the fuel regulator and filter without changing all of the fuel tank feed and return lines to m5 versions...)

Drewster - believe it or not the effect is substantial...at a minimum it makes you feel like a fool with low rpm gear changes because the motor stumbles as soon as the VANOS stops following the target - i.e. vanos control pressure has dropped
Old Wed, Jul-18-2018, 01:34:12 AM   #5
Apps

United States

Thinking out loud:

My feeling is this is pump/flow related based on the ability of the VANOS to precisely follow the target at higher RPM. If this was a piston or valve body leak I would have expected the lack of precision to remain even at higher rpm.

From that perspective it seems the only components are the regulating valve, accumulator and the pump itself. The pump is fairly simple and as long as the 4 rotary pistons are installed it "should" be hard to screw up.

If the regulating valve was set too low then again we would never build enough pressure to adjust...hence not affected greatly by rpm other than the point where the vent orifice is overwhelmed by supply flow.

Final the accumulator should be supplying flow for vanos movements when the pump cannot output the required flow...as is likely at low rpm.
Old Wed, Jul-18-2018, 03:58:46 AM   #6
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apps View Post
Thinking out loud:

My feeling is this is pump/flow related based on the ability of the VANOS to precisely follow the target at higher RPM. If this was a piston or valve body leak I would have expected the lack of precision to remain even at higher rpm.

From that perspective it seems the only components are the regulating valve, accumulator and the pump itself. The pump is fairly simple and as long as the 4 rotary pistons are installed it "should" be hard to screw up.

If the regulating valve was set too low then again we would never build enough pressure to adjust...hence not affected greatly by rpm other than the point where the vent orifice is overwhelmed by supply flow.

Final the accumulator should be supplying flow for vanos movements when the pump cannot output the required flow...as is likely at low rpm.
Possibly the pressure is not keeping up. I have a used working accumulator if you want to try it, I know new they are like 3-400.

PM me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-31-2018, 06:58:11 PM   #7
Apps

United States

Pictures Fixed...since that was the critical info to look at it maybe this will elicit additional feedback
Old Tue, Jul-31-2018, 10:06:19 PM   #8
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Sounds like you are in a need of a new accumulator.
My engine needed one around 20K miles ago

Build thread
05/2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - PF RTABs & FCABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + FS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-31-2018, 11:33:27 PM   #9
Apps

United States

Thanks for the confirmation, I actually ordered one a week or so ago, installed tonight and datalogging tomorrow. I'll report back with findings to prove if this is truly the reason for my low rpm vanos position control issues.

Curiously how many miles did your motor have at the time?
Old Thu, Aug-02-2018, 09:15:59 PM   #10
ZiMMie

Germany

Updates?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk