BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 03:07:49 AM   #1
HDdave

United States

Default E60 vs BMW Performance shift lever

Hey yall, I just finished up my 6mt swap with a lot of help from this forum! I dont know how much this has been discussed, but I could not find any info when searching this topic. So I figured I would make a post with my experiences for anyone else doing the swap, or just considering changing the shift lever in your 6 speed..

I wound up having to pull my trans twice bc I am an idiot, and folded the input shaft seal out while installing the bellhousing and never noticed. In my first experience (with the BMW performance shifter) driving the car I was not overly impressed with how the gear changes felt.. They were nice and short, but it felt to me like it kind of just slid into gear (like it felt like I needed to push forward or back harder on the lever for it to slide the rest of the way into a gear).. This was not the case-car was obviously in gear. Something just did not feel right though.

I also felt like it sat cocked off to the right like it was favoring the passenger for some reason..I was looking to see if I could find one slightly shorter as well.

So I turned to the E60 lever which I had read a lot of people liked. Was not sure how different in shape and size it would be than the BMW Performance one, but I knew I had to at least try SOMETHING else while the trans was out the second time and it was so easy to change.

Here is a picture of the two of them side by side
Untitled by Dave Laborie, on Flickr
I was very surprised at just how much different the two of them are.. BMW performance is on the left and E60 is on the right. The length of the E60 one from the ball up is very similar with the E60 being slightly shorter. But the angle of it makes a HUGE difference with how it feels from the drivers seat.

Then there is the lower part- Now I am no engineer, but seeing as it is a good bit longer than the one on the BMW Perf lever I feel like it is giving you more leverage. Further away from the pivot point the lever attaches to the linkage- more leverage you get. I could be wrong but seems like simple physics to me at least . Kinda like a long pry bar versus a short one haha.

Overall I am much much happier with the E60 shift lever and would highly recommend anyone trying to decide between these two go with the E60.

Last edited by HDdave; Sun, Jun-09-2019 at 03:33:02 AM.
Jump to top HDdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 03:20:57 AM   #2
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E60 vs BMW Performance shift lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDdave View Post
Then there is the lower part- Now I am no engineer, but seeing as it is a good bit longer than the one on the BMW Perf lever I feel like it is giving you more leverage. Further away from the pivot point the lever attaches to the linkage- more leverage you get. I could be wrong but seems like simple physics to me at least . Kinda like a long pry bar versus a short one haha.
Other way around in this case. The transmission selector rod has to move a fixed distance. The ratio of the length above and below the pivot point determines how long your throws are. The longer the top portion, the longer your throws. The longer the bottom portion, the shorter your throws. And the shorter your throws are, the more force you need to actually move the assembly.

Long story short, it's giving the transmission more leverage against you.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 03:32:35 AM   #3
HDdave

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Other way around in this case. The transmission selector rod has to move a fixed distance. The ratio of the length above and below the pivot point determines how long your throws are. The longer the top portion, the longer your throws. The longer the bottom portion, the shorter your throws. And the shorter your throws are, the more force you need to actually move the assembly.

Long story short, it's giving the transmission more leverage against you.
Ahh Okay that makes sense.. I knew I was right in my head about the longer the bottom portion, the shorter the throw. I guess I did not explain that the best with my example. I was essentially calling the shorter throw "more leverage". But you are absolutely correct that it does require more force giving the trans the leverage.
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 03:33:32 AM   #4
pbonsalb

Yet drifters and racers like tall shifters.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 03:49:57 AM   #5
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Yet drifters and racers like tall shifters.
Those sort of kits are still short throws afaik. A shorter distance from wheel to knob, but not longer throws.

Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 S pipes 2.5" + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pullies fan/SAP/washer delete CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6/Eibach 325/600lb + GC "tall" RSMs Hotchkis front sway (med) rear strut bar TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing Mason clutch pedal + brass bushing TMS black pedals delrin brake pedal bushing

OE CSL trunk Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL ZHP "712" rack Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker

Last edited by TboneM3; Sun, Jun-09-2019 at 03:58:43 AM.
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 04:44:08 AM   #6
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

I thought the E60 lever with stock shift knob was perfect on my silver car before switching to a solid mount shifter. Iím installing a 20% AS SSK in the blue car when I manual swap it, and Iím hoping the shifting experience will be as good as, or better, than E60 lever.

I tried the holy grail Z3M lever on my E36 and it was terrible.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 05:12:41 AM   #7
Exclusivs

In the garage:

United States

Awesome thread OP.

Nice to see the ďgooseneckĒ knob. May be in the minority but prefer it - esp on track. (Less chance of money shift IMO)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Exclusivs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 11:36:49 AM   #8
HDdave

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Awesome thread OP.

Nice to see the ďgooseneckĒ knob. May be in the minority but prefer it - esp on track. (Less chance of money shift IMO)

Thanks! I didnít know if there was a need for it. But i could not fina anyone comparing these specific two side by side..

I do actually kind of like that knob. TBH i just ordered everything for my swap from the DIY and didnít think much of it haha. So i have not explored many other options as far as a knob goes. I know i donít like the looks of whichever round one everyone uses with the metal trim ring around the bottom..

I will say keep looking at the M5 lighted shift knob and one day itís going to burn a hole in my pocket haha. I just hate that the shift boot is leather, not alcantara... I would already have it otherwise. But my e brake boot is shit as yíall can see in these pics so maybe i will buy a leather one of those and the m5 knob. Who knows haha.. way to easy to throw money at these cars haha
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 12:54:01 PM   #9
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDdave View Post
Thanks! I didnít know if there was a need for it. But i could not fina anyone comparing these specific two side by side..

I do actually kind of like that knob. TBH i just ordered everything for my swap from the DIY and didnít think much of it haha. So i have not explored many other options as far as a knob goes. I know i donít like the looks of whichever round one everyone uses with the metal trim ring around the bottom..

I will say keep looking at the M5 lighted shift knob and one day itís going to burn a hole in my pocket haha. I just hate that the shift boot is leather, not alcantara... I would already have it otherwise. But my e brake boot is shit as yíall can see in these pics so maybe i will buy a leather one of those and the m5 knob. Who knows haha.. way to easy to throw money at these cars haha
You could get the z4m knob. Itís lighted, but otherwise shaped exactly like yours so you can retain your boot
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 12:55:14 PM   #10
Exclusivs

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
You could get the z4m knob. Itís lighted, but otherwise shaped exactly like yours so you can retain your boot

Was going to say ZHP knob - but that works too!

Jump to top Exclusivs is online now   Reply With Quote