BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 05:57:47 PM   #1
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Default Vanos pressure woes and solutions

So the past few days I've been battling vanos issues fixing a couple of friends cars in our local community. And I think I've got some interesting information for u guys so I thought I'd share.
-The first car got cammed(280 272 cat cams).
After the cam install we did a vanos test and it failed intake advance at 340ms. So we measured the vanos pressure and it was 60bars(115 required). We changed the vanos pressure valve and it went up to 80 bars. Still down on pressure. The owner had forgotten to install the pressure relief valves in the cat cams from his original cams. We did that and retimed the car and the pressure gauge needle was pegged at 160 bars lol. We had to dial it back to 115. Success.
-the second car has stock cams, but had unknown vanos oil pressure and was suffering an abysmal low end, no codes.
We measured its pressure it read 40 bars.. 40! It then proceeded to go down to a record breaking 20 bars when at operating temp. Yep u read that right. We changed vanos pressure valves and max it got was 60 bars. Still way way way down. We ordered a set or vanos seals thinking we will need those.
Just for kicks we installed a known to be good solinoid pack, started the car expecting nothing special, to my surprise the pressure was pegged at 140 again on a cold start then started to go down to 90bars at idle and 115 bars at 2k rpms.
Conclusion :if your new pressure valve doesn't get the vanos oil pressure up to spec, try the vanos solinoid pack also. If you're getting cams, make sure u have cam shaft relief valves in there before u install them.
The seals we ordered are going in the drawer for now... No need for those now.
Cheers
Hassan

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 06:07:50 PM   #2
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Vanos pressure woes and solutions

I'd imagine a good clean of the valve body would also help - every time I clean mine out I can tell a difference in how the engine responds.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 06:11:25 PM   #3
sapote

United States

How do you measure the pressure and where did you tap in for the pressure gauge?

The vanos high pressure relief valve is on the left side of the vanos housing, and so i'm lost on the said cam's relief valve.
Jump to top sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 06:16:09 PM   #4
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapote View Post
How do you measure the pressure and where did you tap in for the pressure gauge?

The vanos high pressure relief valve is on the left side of the vanos housing, and so i'm lost on the said cam's relief valve.
Most measure at the accumulator's banjo fitting. This diagram shows the valve in the camshafts (11)
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 06:24:59 PM   #5
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Most measure at the accumulator's banjo fitting. This diagram shows the valve in the camshafts (11)
This

Screenshot_20190606_212419.jpg

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 06:42:04 PM   #6
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Yes - accumulator *line* banjo fitting.. not at the accumulator lol
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:43:49 PM   #7
sapote

United States

This diagram shows the valve in the camshafts (11)...

Diagram?
Jump to top sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 08:10:38 PM   #8
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

Can you point me to the gauge and fittings I should use to do this? I'm replacing cams and followers soon along with all vanos repairs and upgrades and I'd love to check and set this pressure properly.

Fwiw, my vanos solenoid pack blew up on me - there is now a hole where some orange seal used to be? I haven't removed it yet to inspect but spits out oil if I start the car (no codes thrown though).
Jump to top dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 08:17:36 PM   #9

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
Can you point me to the gauge and fittings I should use to do this? I'm replacing cams and followers soon along with all vanos repairs and upgrades and I'd love to check and set this pressure properly.

Fwiw, my vanos solenoid pack blew up on me - there is now a hole where some orange seal used to be? I haven't removed it yet to inspect but spits out oil if I start the car (no codes thrown though).
If you want an easy solution and don't mind the extra money you can buy a gauge setup ready to go like this: https://store.langracing.com/bmw-s54...e-testing-kit/

Or you can make your own with an equivalent gauge, a spare banjo bolt you can drill and tap the top of, and one or two adapters/reducers to get the gauge thread down to size of the banjo bolt hole you just drilled.

Engine: Karbonius CSL airbox, Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams & followers, Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons & Carrillo rods, Kassel CSL DME & MAP conversion, 36lb injectors, Paul Claude tune, TMS Power Pulleys, SS V1 stepped headers & catless section 1, SS 2.5 twin-piped resonated section 2, SGT scza section 3.
Drivetrain: DKM Stage 2 Clutch, RTD V2 mini shifter, RE trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, Revshift 80A diff bushings.
Suspension/Brakes: Bilstein PSS9's, RE RSM's, UUC sway bars, BW camber arms, TMS monoball RTABs, ZCP rotors, BW solid caliper guide bushings, PFC 08's, Motorsport Hardware 75mm stud kit.
Interior: Cobra Nogaro seats, BMW Performance shift knob/e-brake/pedals, OE alcantara boots, mason clutch pedal, Xtrons 9" headunit w/ carplay

IG: Zach_e46M
Jump to top . is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-07-2019, 06:39:47 AM   #10
Nambo

United States

I love happy endings
Jump to top Nambo is offline   Reply With Quote