BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:53:19 PM   #21
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Overheating in Traffic—Aftermarket Radiator Daily Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapote View Post
So what do you think of this statement from another M3 owner?

" I haven't ran a clutch fan in close to 4 years on this car (without the addition of an extra electric fan in its place just the stock aux fan) and more before that on my previous e36 m3. Never had an overheating issue even in prime florida summer heat which I'm sure is worse than you see in NC."
Either it's getting more overall airflow without the fan clutch fan's shrouding and blades in the way, or he's not hitting the same heat+fully stopped traffic condition.

I can definitely give a reference point that my 75k mile M3 with original cooling system had the front Aux fan at 100%, and was "fine" in most scenarios aside from being stuck in 5mph traffic through Texas (90-105F) heat - under 30mph the coolant temp would rise right up to red. Furthermore, the single change of removing the clutch fan and installing an electric eliminated the problem.
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 08:12:18 PM   #22

In the garage:

United States

Hopefully no one takes my testimony as a recommendation to OP to run no clutch fan or electric replacement. I'm merely using my anecdotal evidence to say I think just replacing the clutch fan only might be a band aid to a bigger problem going on. I plan adding a SPAL for added safety margin when I get around to replacing my radiator. OP should do the same but also a complete overhaul as it sounds he has planned.

Engine: Karbonius CSL airbox, Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams & followers, Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons & Carrillo rods, Kassel CSL DME & MAP conversion, 36lb injectors, Paul Claude tune, APE Flex fuel kit, TMS Power Pulleys, SS V1 stepped headers & catless section 1, SS 2.5” twin-piped resonated section 2, SGT scza section 3.
Drivetrain: DKM Stage 2 Clutch, E60 Shifter, RE trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, Revshift 80A diff bushings.
Suspension/Brakes: Bilstein PSS9's, RE RSM's, UUC sway bars, BW camber arms, TMS monoball RTABs, ZCP rotors, BW solid caliper guide bushings, PFC 08's, Motorsport Hardware 75mm stud kit.
Interior: Cobra Nogaro seats, BMW Performance pedals, OE alcantara boots, mason clutch pedal, Xtrons 9" headunit w/ carplay

IG: Zach_e46M
Jump to top . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 08:34:54 PM   #23
jdamore44

In the garage:

United States

Replacing my clutch fan fixed my overheat in traffic problem. I did the newspaper test and it failed miserably. Definitely check that clutch fan, replace if bad. Problem will be significantly better, if not fixed. Good luck!
Jump to top jdamore44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 08:44:22 PM   #24
Fresh1179

In the garage:

United States

Trust me guys, I’ve been running the heat in my black on black car in 85-99 degree heat. I’m not too happy about it. It seems like there is no consensus on the best setup. I’m going in there to replace everything from a maintenance standpoint anyways in the cooling system. I’m just trying to determine which radiator/fan setup I’m going with. IN AN ABUNDANCE OF CAUTION, and with the knowledge that the car will see the track in high ambient temps, I’m going to go with a SPAL fan and a new aftermarket radiator, probably the Koyo or CSF radiator, most likely the Koyo. I’m also going to switch up my coolant ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 09:08:47 PM   #25
jdamore44

In the garage:

United States

Water wetter is solid too, I ran that in my e36 without a clutch fan and never had issues.
Jump to top jdamore44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-07-2019, 12:56:02 PM   #26
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

A properly functioning stock cooling system can sit in a traffic jam in death valley all day without overheating. If you're overheating in ANY street circumstance, it's because your components are fault or aftermarket.

Your guaranteed fix is to replace everything with new stock. Most aftermarket solutions are worse, and nearly all are worse in street situation (e.g. all aftermarket electric fans vs the stock clutched/electric combo).

Properly functioning stock is also remarkably effective on track. I'm making ~100 crank hp more than stock and my coolant temps never go off center on track. Oil temps go to 3/4, and then stop-- which is functioning as designed.

If you want to fix the car, replace all the components with new OE(M).

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-07-2019, 01:17:05 PM   #27
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

^ This, replace with OE stock hardware.
BMW radiator, pump and fan clutch , and bmw coolant. Unless you have a busted head gasket or sever calcification you will need nothing more
No to the following:
-water wetter
-higher percentage of water in the coolant
-Aftermarket rads
-After market fans

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-07-2019, 03:38:02 PM   #28
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

While I totally agree that new OE components are quite stout, for me the unsung feature of elecric fans is how much work you can do without removing the fan. Vanos solenoid, belt change, hoses, etc. you can just reach in and take care of
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-07-2019, 04:16:11 PM   #29
Andrebxp

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
^ This, replace with OE stock hardware.
BMW radiator, pump and fan clutch , and bmw coolant. Unless you have a busted head gasket or sever calcification you will need nothing more
No to the following:
-water wetter
-higher percentage of water in the coolant

-Aftermarket rads
-After market fans
Any particular reason not to use more water, or water wetter?
Jump to top Andrebxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-07-2019, 04:29:35 PM   #30
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
While I totally agree that new OE components are quite stout, for me the unsung feature of elecric fans is how much work you can do without removing the fan. Vanos solenoid, belt change, hoses, etc. you can just reach in and take care of
I run an electric fan myself with underdrive pulleys no issues. I still don't overheat in traffic.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote