BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:07:46 PM   #11
Fresh1179

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Overheating in Traffic—Aftermarket Radiator Daily Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkenny15 View Post
For your application, I would avoid the Mishimoto fan. Not strong enough to cool the motor in the South.

I think your best look is the CSF rad. and a SPAL fan setup.

In the meantime, run the heat and cabin fan on your car if you start to overheat.

Thanks. I needed some guidance on this. The plug and play aspect is so enticing but it sounds like the cooling isn’t there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:18:47 PM   #12
sapote

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
This probably won't be a popular opinion around here but I haven't ran a clutch fan in close to 4 years on this car (without the addition of an extra electric fan in its place just the stock aux fan) and more before that on my previous e36 m3. Never had an overheating issue even in prime florida summer heat which I'm sure is worse than you see in NC.
Delete clutch fan and drive with only aux fan causes no ill effect in short term, but the aux fan will die sooner than cars with clutch fan installed dur to high duty cycle usage.

Another negative impact is the heat spike on the engine and other components. With the clutch fan running along, the temperature under the hood is maintained with a smooth profile, while without the clutch fan, the heat is accumulated until the temperature rose high to trigger the aux fan to kick in, causing a spiky heat profile which for sure is not good on any components including the engine.
Jump to top sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:23:35 PM   #13
sapote

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1179 View Post
My car has been getting dangerously close to the red during everyday driving. My aux/pusher fan is performing well.
These two sentences are in conflicting; if the aux is working normal then the engine should not get near the red zone. check air flow and coolant flow -- radiator cooling fins covered with debris, thermostat restricted , etc.
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:25:41 PM   #14
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp1 View Post
Most people on here will tell you that new OE parts will be more than fine for daily and it's true...these cars don't overheat in daily traffic until something is old or worn out. I would check the fan clutch, replace if needed along with the fan blades.

If you want an aftermarket rad then Koyorad or Zionzville (sp?) are both really good but new OE rad is also perfect. I've been running a Koyorad for the past year with no mechanical fan at all to see how well the rad works with just the front pusher and I have only gone up to 88c in hot weather sitting in traffic and then the pusher kicks in and drops it back down to 82-83c.
Agreed with everything here. You said you are in North Carolina OP...I am in South Carolina -- It hit 105 here last week, and I sat in 2 wrecks on the interstate for 2 hours and sat behind traffic from trains and drove the car hard when times allowed. Never once did my temps go above middle. I am on a stock OE Radiator. My advice is to go new OE(M) over aftermarket. A new one will perform very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkenny15 View Post
In the meantime, run the heat and cabin fan on your car if you start to overheat.
THIS!^

Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
I suspect you have more problems than just the clutch fan. This probably won't be a popular opinion around here but I haven't ran a clutch fan in close to 4 years on this car (without the addition of an extra electric fan in its place just the stock aux fan) and more before that on my previous e36 m3. Never had an overheating issue even in prime florida summer heat which I'm sure is worse than you see in NC. I see stop and go traffic almost daily and oil temps will climb slightly above 205 but water always stays right in the center never seen it move to the right like yours. My cooling system is also fairly old too though I'm getting ready to replace it. If you're getting past the right dot you have serious cooling system issues imo and I'd be looking to replace the radiator and water pump asap. I don't think you're going to get any extra benefit from an aftermarket rad and should stick to OE.
I have a friend in SC that runs no clutch can or anything in its place. Just runs the aux fan.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
For Sale: BNIB OE CSL Wheels
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Jun-06-2019 at 07:31:37 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:25:51 PM   #15
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

I was being paranoid as well on my temp needle, before my engine rebuild the needle normally just stick at dead center not ever moving during summer. but now it plays around and is very active, it almost goes to the 2nd dot at the first 30second of a traffic stop then goes back to middle after a minute or two. watched what was the values on torque app and the closest I got to the 2nd dot was reading 205.7 degrees, definitely not even close to dangerous temperature but is warmer than normal but since that was during a 90 degree weather I figured that's normal.

I got CSF radiator, a SPAL fan and switched my aux fan as well, the moment I switched my aux fan tho, the needle moving towards the 2nd dot happens a lot less than w/ the old one. so I guess the old one wasn't performing at its best anymore.
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:29:59 PM   #16
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapote View Post
These two sentences are in conflicting; if the aux is working normal then the engine should not get near the red zone. check air flow and coolant flow -- radiator cooling fins covered with debris, thermostat restricted , etc.
It's not conflicting at all - a broken clutch fan will lead to the front Aux fan going to 100% duty cycle and making the car sound like a UPS truck. It's enough most of the time, but not on a hot day in traffic (speaking from personal experience). Hence, Aux fan is fine, but the car is still overheating.

Replacing the clutch fan or swapping it for a straight-blade electric will solve the overheating issue in traffic, but not necessarily be problem free during track days.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:36:27 PM   #17
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1179 View Post
I agree with you %100. I’m changing out all the old components when I take the old radiator out anyways so hopefully that will be an added bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be sure to blow out the condenser with compressed air as you do
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:41:20 PM   #18
sapote

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
It's not conflicting at all - a broken clutch fan will lead to the front Aux fan going to 100% duty cycle and making the car sound like a UPS truck. It's enough most of the time, but not on a hot day in traffic (speaking from personal experience). Hence, Aux fan is fine, but the car is still overheating.
So what do you think of this statement from another M3 owner?

" I haven't ran a clutch fan in close to 4 years on this car (without the addition of an extra electric fan in its place just the stock aux fan) and more before that on my previous e36 m3. Never had an overheating issue even in prime florida summer heat which I'm sure is worse than you see in NC."
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:42:16 PM   #19
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Forgot to ask. Did you do the fan clutch test? Use a magazine or rolled up newspaper and see if you can easily stop the fan from spinning. If it stops with little to no resistance the fan clutch is bad.

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 07:50:51 PM   #20
midnighted

United States

I would stay away from CSF. I'm on my second one (first developed two pinhole leaks after two years of use), and no matter how I do the coolant flush, I'm still seeing the needle go towards the right dot, sometimes just past it if I'm not looking in stop and go traffic.

This is in 93 degree heat full AC blast. Front aux fan still installed and a mishimoto efan.
Jump to top midnighted is offline   Reply With Quote