BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 04:04:13 AM   #1
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Default Cylinder 4-5-6 misfiring dilema.. (this car is never ending..)

so yeah... after fixing my oil leak problem another issue comes along to replace my problem that I fixed...

Well this will be long as I will be putting out as much details as I can w/ my problems now to give you guys as much info as I can so if anyone got a solution, they can help me out

So 5 days ago I started to feel the car kinda like dips in RPM (light buckle) every now and then, maybe once every 10-15mins or so. but RPM needle doesn't dip down just stay at 800-900rpm or so at idle.

Then 2days ago while warming up the car around 5-10mins in or so it started idling rough like a freaking diesel and misfire codes came up. all cylinders was misfiring, cleared the code and tried re-starting, And cylinder 4-5-6 was misfiring along w/ code for multiple misfire w/ fuel cut-off (P1341 i believe) and it was hard to start the car, cranking it around 10seconds before it get started, but if I turn it off then try turn it back on once it is started it starts normally, letting it sit for a while when its off then trying to turn it back on that happens, long crank before it start up, had to baby the car home and my fuel mileage is ridiculous and I was smoking on my tail pipes as well whenever I let off the gas or go to neutral idling but it goes away once I step my foot on the gas.

So I thought it was coils right away since I have no clue how old is the coils I have, but at least 30k miles old since I bought the car. The plugs is under 5k miles but I did run the "burble" pop option for 3k miles before turning it back off.

So today I got the new coils (Bosch 00124), installed them and started the car up and it start right up no problem. let it warm up to temperature and I thought that's it, all is well. then a few minutes later I notice the "dip" on idle thing is happening again.. I went to get some gas and as I was leaving the gas station at an intersection, there goes the misfires again. cylinder 4-5-6 again w/ P1341 code, someone in FB group chat said try clearing the code and start it.

Cleared the code and tried starting it, not a single crank! like I have no battery whatsoever... Thought to myself "alternator?? but would it cause the car to misfire tho?" I highly doubt it but who knows I guess?

So while on shoulder, I started removing the cabin air filter housing, engine cover and whatnot to access the coils, checked for their connection and they are all good. checked wires as well to see if any of them are damaged or something and all looks good and while doing this I got my battery tender hooked up.

after 5mins I tried starting it, this time it is clicking now, few minutes later it kinda wants to turn over.. a minute or two later its turning over and eventually a few minutes later it turned over and started. this time the code is off but the smoke when idle or when I let off the gas is there still, smells like fuel and checked the tail pipe it was kinda moist, went and checked it with my finger and smelled it, smells like fuel.

now babied her again going back home, and removed the coils, then plugs and took the pictures and it is posted below to let you judge if they are good or bad, imo cylinder 4 may be bad and 6 but when I switched my old plugs, they are in worst condition than these two and I wasn't having these problems.
I got a fuel pump in hand that I am getting ready to install, will install that as well on sunday. but I don't think its a fuel pump problem since its just one bank consistently.

Again sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help/advice in advance guys

LINK TO PICTURES
Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 04:27:55 AM   #2
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Cylinder 4-5-6 misfiring dilema.. (this car is never ending..)

Looks like it's running rich. How old are bank 2 o2 sensors?

On no cranking as if battery dead, were electronics/dash on at all with key on? Might be starter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, stock S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 04:29:33 AM   #3
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Where was oil leak/what did you do? Could have somehow introduced a vacuum leak for erratic idle.

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, stock S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 04:46:36 AM   #4
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Looks like it's running rich. How old are bank 2 o2 sensors?

On no cranking as if battery dead, were electronics/dash on at all with key on? Might be starter.

Yes they turn on when I put it on position 1, but eventually it started turning over after letting it sit for somewhere between 5-10mins

Quote:
Where was oil leak/what did you do? Could have somehow introduced a vacuum leak for erratic idle.

it was on the flat spot between the half moons on the rear. its fixed now.

the rear o2 has about 60k miles on them. the front o2 sensors are probably factory... LOL
Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 04:50:22 AM   #5
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Do you have any logging or graphing capabilities/tools to check if front o2 are switching at same rate? In either case if factory, prob good to replace and one of them could be failing.

Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 05:10:17 AM   #6
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Do you have any logging or graphing capabilities/tools to check if front o2 are switching at same rate? In either case if factory, prob good to replace and one of them could be failing.

No, but I do remember looking at my o2 sensors values at idle when it was first happening and they are all reading at 0.8v iirc using Torque app.
Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 05:16:12 AM   #7
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

My bet is O2s since it's across a bank
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 05:22:30 AM   #8
Za Rulem

United States

Sounds like bad battery or alternator. what's the battery voltage when not running? what's the battery voltage at idle?
Jump to top Za Rulem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 05:23:28 AM   #9
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos View Post
No, but I do remember looking at my o2 sensors values at idle when it was first happening and they are all reading at 0.8v iirc using Torque app.
Front o2 are supposed to be switching between .2 and .8, of they are all at .8, there is one problem.

Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 05:34:22 AM   #10
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
My bet is O2s since it's across a bank
pre or post?

Quote:
Front o2 are supposed to be switching between .2 and .8, of they are all at .8, there is one problem.

didn't look at them long enough tho I just remember seeing the value when I was scrolling thru the values that they were at .8v