BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, May-16-2019, 10:54:16 PM   #41
yhp2009

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Warm Start Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbimmer View Post
I just don't feel like replacing all the injectors at 40-50 a pop
I think "Mr Injector" refreshes your injectors for $17.50 each. Similar prices in other places.
And if one or two injectors are faulty then buy new bosch injectors for $50
Seemed like a reasonable way to just cross it off the list.

Anyway I plan on doing mine so will let you know if it helps
Jump to top yhp2009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 02:10:47 AM   #42
Race M3
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

United States

Completely stupid, but have you checked your purge valve? Gets stuck open and vapor can cause a long crank. Mines fine, but I’ve seen them fail and not throw a code. Can make the car run really rich.

Also the coolant temp sensor can cause a fuel dump/flood engine too if it’s going bad.
Jump to top Race M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 04:01:45 PM   #43
wolffbimmer

United States

I haven't, any procedure for testing it? Is that under the manifold? I have the fuel pressure gauge hooked up now. It's a little wonky as I hold the line different ways the pressure increases/decreases. Anywhere from a little over 40psi to 60psi. I'll watch it for the next couple hours. I had it off before this video for 10-15 minutes and it was still at 40. Another weird thing is when I unplugged the regulator vacuum line I didn't see a crazy spike in fuel pressure. I've seen some folks say a couple psi to 10. I heard a slight audible difference and smelt it be a little richer and idle change but no psi change. Maybe the gauge isn't the greatest.
Jump to top wolffbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 04:06:01 PM   #44
yhp2009

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbimmer View Post
I haven't, any procedure for testing it? Is that under the manifold? I have the fuel pressure gauge hooked up now. It's a little wonky as I hold the line different ways the pressure increases/decreases. Anywhere from a little over 40psi to 60psi. I'll watch it for the next couple hours. I had it off before this video for 10-15 minutes and it was still at 40. Another weird thing is when I unplugged the regulator vacuum line I didn't see a crazy spike in fuel pressure. I've seen some folks say a couple psi to 10. I heard a slight audible difference and smelt it be a little richer and idle change but no psi change. Maybe the gauge isn't the greatest.
Yea I tend to not trust gauge readings unless I can reproduce same results from multiple gauges. I'd try another and compare results
Jump to top yhp2009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 04:08:23 PM   #45
wolffbimmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhp2009 View Post
Yea I tend to not trust gauge readings unless I can reproduce same results from multiple gauges. I'd try another and compare results
Holding it vs letting it lie on it's own. Either way I have a baseline of the gauge and pressure if it is indeed leaking down a lot over the hours.

Old Fri, May-17-2019, 04:47:10 PM   #46
Race M3

United States

it will leak down after a while. doesn't hold pressure constantly.
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 10:13:50 PM   #47
wolffbimmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race M3 View Post
it will leak down after a while. doesn't hold pressure constantly.
A few psi correct? I’m just trying to see if anything excessive happens. Especially during a no start to see what the pressure will read.

It leaked down to 25 psi after 5 hours or so. When I started it the pressure raised up because of the prime, it fired up although it did do an ever slight stumble and then smoothed out; this does make me think of a leaky injector but enough for one to make the car not start at all. It does this sometimes after starting when I've tested things and it's sat 4-5 hours. I'll see what pressure is in the morning after sitting overnight. I read in the Chilton manual (e36) that leak down should only be .5 bar which is about 7 psi. It pointed out the fuel pump check valve/fuel pressure regulator/ or injectors.

Bought a set of 30k mi fuel injectors on ebay for $50. Will throw them on and see.

Last edited by wolffbimmer; Sat, May-18-2019 at 02:53:03 AM.
Old Sun, May-19-2019, 08:13:48 PM   #48
wolffbimmer

United States

I had the pressure gauge on (can confirm now the gauge is a piece of crap; hooked it up to my tire and it read 6 psi lol) but it still leaked down pretty low from 25 psi to around 10 psi even when I had the return line off the filter/regulator assembly pinched off. This was to rule out the fuel pump check valve/leak down from that end so only the regulator or injectors could be to blame for the leak. With the regulator being new and I even ran the car for several minutes with the vacuum line off to see if any leaking would occur which it didn't. I feel like it has to be injectors. I will update after the injectors are done.
Old Mon, May-20-2019, 02:08:01 AM   #49
whips333

In the garage:

United States

Sub'd
Jump to top whips333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-20-2019, 06:22:22 PM   #50
Race M3

United States

just buy the bosch injectors off fcpeuro, lifetime warranty. much cheaper than the bmw branded ones. (SAME EXACT PART)

I had my old injectors professionally cleaned/rebuilt and verified no leaks (can even get you flow rate on them) that i can sell you if interested. only reason i just said eff it and bought the new ones was they were on sale lol.