BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 04:42:04 PM   #11
Cbouts

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Warm Start Problem

Quote:
I had the same issue for many years. Sometimes it would not start on first crank after it's been sitting a while.
How about when it hasn't been sitting for awhile. Mine rarely starts on the first try, even if I had just turned the car off.
10 Audi A4 - Black 6 Speed - “work truck” - Traded
Jump to top Cbouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 04:56:21 PM   #12
Toxic0n

Canada

My issue was always after sitting for a couple of hours at least.

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 05:19:46 PM   #13
wolffbimmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
My issue was always after sitting for a couple of hours at least.
Sounds like we had the same issue. I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on the pump. It's a free and easy check for me though to make sure with the fuel pressure test. I'll report back with fuel pressure results.
Jump to top wolffbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-26-2019, 12:54:54 PM   #14
ZiMMie

In the garage:

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbimmer View Post
Sounds like we had the same issue. I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on the pump. It's a free and easy check for me though to make sure with the fuel pressure test. I'll report back with fuel pressure results.
What the point? Stop wasting your time.

Fuel pressure will be fine at the rail port. The proper these is to put your gauge in between the filter and the feed line to the injectors, and some how log the pressures when its warm not running and when its cold. You will see that when the car is cold, with igntion on, the fuel pump will prime and restore pressure and when u shut off the car over time it will loose pressure.

I really do not know why i keep telling you this. You are wasting your time.

CHANGE THE PUMP.
Old Fri, Apr-26-2019, 01:03:42 PM   #15
wolffbimmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie View Post
What the point? Stop wasting your time.

Fuel pressure will be fine at the rail port. The proper these is to put your gauge in between the filter and the feed line to the injectors, and some how log the pressures when its warm not running and when its cold. You will see that when the car is cold, with igntion on, the fuel pump will prime and restore pressure and when u shut off the car over time it will loose pressure.

I really do not know why i keep telling you this. You are wasting your time.

CHANGE THE PUMP.
Is there a reason in particular why you are so angry and curt all the time? Not sure where it's getting you. I'm not going to blow 400 on a pump if it's not the pump. The logical thing to do is test the pressure. There is no port at the rail, only under the car on the pressure regulator unit; but you should know that. It's not wasting my time, this issue has been going on for a while and it's not detrimental to driving it. Don't worry I will give you all the credit and kudos for when I determine it's the pump and fixed!
Old Fri, Apr-26-2019, 01:13:30 PM   #16
ZiMMie

In the garage:

Germany

Yes the port is next to the regulator. I was thinking m5x rails. The reason is I spent tons of hours diagnosing the same issue. i tryed my best to save the customer from not buying a new pump. changed everything from you can ever think off. So for you to be stubborn and not listen it kinda of annoying.

I also confirm the fuel delivery method(cold/warm) of the ECU from the software.

So yea do what you gotto do. At the end of day it's ur time your car. Good luck.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
Old Fri, Apr-26-2019, 02:49:19 PM   #17
sapote

United States

Factory had the Schrader valve added for diagnostic, and so skipping the fuel pressure test in buying a new pump is not a smart choice.
Jump to top sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-26-2019, 11:18:51 PM   #18
ZHPNC

United States

Also an easy way to check for leaky injectors is to pull the fuel rail (with injectors attached), set a paper towel under them, and turn the key to "on" so that the fuel pump builds pressure in the rail. Then just watch and see if the towel gets wet under any of the injector tips. That's how I found my leaky injector that was only causing crank/misfire issues on a hot start (sat 30mins-4hours). If left to sit overnight, the excess fuel would evaporate out of the manifold and the car would crank right up with no issue.
Jump to top ZHPNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-27-2019, 12:27:17 AM   #19
wolffbimmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPNC View Post
Also an easy way to check for leaky injectors is to pull the fuel rail (with injectors attached), set a paper towel under them, and turn the key to "on" so that the fuel pump builds pressure in the rail. Then just watch and see if the towel gets wet under any of the injector tips. That's how I found my leaky injector that was only causing crank/misfire issues on a hot start (sat 30mins-4hours). If left to sit overnight, the excess fuel would evaporate out of the manifold and the car would crank right up with no issue.
Did you have a thread of zhp mafia or something? I think I saw that particular one regarding a leaky injector. On the M3 though you can’t really pull the rail too high because of the hardline that connects to it. Very little room to do that test, cylinder 6 would hardly be accessible to see if any drips happen. I’ve never had a misfire or crappy start though. I feel if fuel was leaking I’d have some chugging rough starts which I never have.
Old Sat, Apr-27-2019, 12:33:34 AM   #20
ZHPNC

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbimmer View Post
Did you have a thread of zhp mafia or something? I think I saw that particular one regarding a leaky injector. On the M3 though you can’t really pull the rail too high because of the hardline that connects to it. Very little room to do that test, cylinder 6 would hardly be accessible to see if any drips happen. I’ve never had a misfire or crappy start though. I feel if fuel was leaking I’d have some chugging rough starts which I never have.
Hah! Yep. I should have clarified that I did that on an M54. I also think it's your fuel pump, but wanted to chime in if you were still going to that the rail.
Jump to top ZHPNC is online now   Reply With Quote