BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Mar-28-2019, 01:59:39 AM   #1
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Exclamation At my wits end, misfire issue, OBDII monitors incomplete...

EDIT: ISSUE SOLVED! Look at Post # 54

2006 M3, GSR CSL Airbox, Euro Headers, Euro section 1, New OEM Pre cat O2 sensors, Post cat sensors are tuned off (but still plugged in, are new Bosch sensors).

So i've been dealing with this for a year now, and have had shops look at it and tell me whats wrong, nothing has worked so far.

Been getting random Cyl 1-6 misfires (usually at least 3 cylinders misfire at a time, sometimes all 6), happens during a cold start, sometimes warm start, then goes away once it idles for a minute or 2 and runs totally smooth, no misfiring at all after a minute or 2 of idling

This all started when I put on euro headers and euro section 1. I used Bosch sensors, and got the car tuned. I also have a GSR CSL airbox.

Was told my sensors were in the wrong banks, and that I should've used OEM oxygen sensors bc the amazon bosch ones were trash. I coughed up the $450 or so for the sensors, got them replaced, had it taken to the shop twice to make sure they were put in the correct banks as well.

Car shows no misfire code at the moment, but i do notice a 10 second misfire on start rarely. still misfires on start. (P0300, P0306, P0305, P0302, P0301, codes at the moment)
Oxygen monitor shows incomplete.

Car drives perfectly once warmed up, and at WOT (obviously since its closed loop at this point)

I have no clue what could be wrong, and im tired of throwing money at it. Car drives damn amazingly otherwise.

Any thoughts on what it could be, or anyone in a similar situation?

Could be evap breather valve?...i have no code for this.
Could be a vacuum leak?...no leaks found during smoke test
Could be coils?...Original to the car (but misfire is random, sometimes all 6 cyl, sometimes 1, sometimes 2...3.4.5., sometimes never.)
Could be plugs? I just replaced on 4/9/19....they have 25k on them

Things changed to figure out this issue:
- New spark plugs
- New fuel pressure regulator
- New Fuel Filter
- New Fuel Pump
- New OEM BMW Oxygen Sensors (in correct positions)
- Done Smoke Test - No leaks
1996 M3 Coupe, Techno Violet/Hurricane, 5MT

Gone but not fogotten:
1997 M3 Coupe Techno Violet/Mulberry 5MT, 2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R 6MT, 1996 XJ Red/Tan AT, 1995 M3 Coupe Silver 5MT, 1988 325e Black/Black 5MT, 2002 330ci Blue/Grey 5MT, 2003 ZHP Sedan Black/Black 6MT, 2003 M3 Imola Red/Black 6MT

Last edited by alwaysbored786; Thu, Jul-11-2019 at 05:50:23 PM.
Jump to top alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-28-2019, 02:10:47 AM   #2
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Default At my wits end, misfire issue, OBDII monitors incomplete...

Valve adjustment?

Missed the VA part. Iím willing to give it a look if you want. Shoot me a PM.
2005 BMW M3 ZCP Nardo Gray | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | Euro bumper w/ Morimoto led fogs | 1 piece Carbon Lip | VIS XTS Full carbon hood | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-28-2019, 02:13:26 AM   #3
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: At my wits end, misfire issue, OBDII monitors incomplete...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSLM3Wannabi View Post
Valve adjustment?
Valves adjusted 18k miles ago, i think i'm probably still within spec, but could be something to check as a last resort.

Gone but not fogotten:
1997 M3 Coupe Techno Violet/Mulberry 5MT, 2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R 6MT, 1996 XJ Red/Tan AT, 1995 M3 Coupe Silver 5MT, 1988 325e Black/Black 5MT, 2002 330ci Blue/Grey 5MT, 2003 ZHP Sedan Black/Black 6MT, 2003 M3 Imola Red/Black 6MT
Old Thu, Mar-28-2019, 02:18:48 AM   #4
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

ok, first is are you SURE that you got the rear o2 sensors in the right bank now??

because when I switched to catless headers I accidentally switched them around and have misfire codes only during idle, driving around the misfire goes away but on idle it will start misfiring w/ in 30seconds of idle.

if you are SURE that they are in the right bank, then maybe its your solenoid pack stuck open, try cleaning the solenoid pack and maybe if you know someone who has an m3 try their solenoid pack and if goes away then that's your problem.

or coils/plugs? when I did my catless header install and got the misfire, I did switch my spark plugs and coils along w/ putting the rear o2 sensor to the right place. it so that may be a cause as well.

I'd start w/ the easiest and cheapest one which is cleaning the solenoid pack, get a couple of magnets from harborfreight and get some brake cleaner (2 cans for sure, I went through one can and there was still small oil sludge thingy coming out) and see if that works out or helps.

then plugs/coils if they haven't been changed in a while as well. and if not then solenoid pack from beisan (300bucks but 150bucks refund for core).
Old Thu, Mar-28-2019, 02:22:26 AM   #5
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos View Post
ok, first is are you SURE that you got the rear o2 sensors in the right bank now??

because when I switched to catless headers I accidentally switched them around and have misfire codes only during idle, driving around the misfire goes away but on idle it will start misfiring w/ in 30seconds of idle.

if you are SURE that they are in the right bank, then maybe its your solenoid pack stuck open, try cleaning the solenoid pack and maybe if you know someone who has an m3 try their solenoid pack and if goes away then that's your problem.

or coils/plugs? when I did my catless header install and got the misfire, I did switch my spark plugs and coils along w/ it so that may be a cause as well.

I'd start w/ the easiest and cheapest one which is cleaning the solenoid pack, get a couple of magnets from harborfreight and get some brake cleaner (2 cans for sure, I went through one can and there was still small oil sludge thingy coming out) and see if that works out or helps.

then plugs/coils if they haven't been changed in a while as well. and if not then solenoid pack from beisan (300bucks but 150bucks refund for core).
I personally did not check them, but I have a shop I highly trust check them, twice, and they say they are in the correct spots.

Solenoid pack is a good idea, im gonna give that a shot, should've never sold that spare one I had damnit LOL.

I can get plugs warrantied out by FCP, so i'll change those for the hell of it as well, and check the coils to see if they're good.

This may time some time, but I will update as I knock these out, once solution is found, i'll post that up too.

Gone but not fogotten:
Old Thu, Apr-04-2019, 12:19:37 AM   #6
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Update:

Checked fuel pressure after car sat for 2-3 days, pressure was at 0. I primed the car, and it went right to 70 PSI, i noticed the pressure dropping after it was primed, slowly but it did drop to about 64 psi ish. Started the car, and I have a video where it misfires and the pressure spikes up about 4psi. Let the car sit for 10 minutes off, fuel pressure went from 64psi to 70psi, all while car was off.

Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) and Fuel Filter with Pierburg FPR and Mann filter. Fuel pressure at this point is back to 0 psi obviously.

When I primed it, I primed twice after the new parts, went to about 70psi. Noticed the same slow minor pressure drop to about 64psi. Let the car idle for about 3 minutes and didnt notice any misfires or fuel pressure oddities.

Let the car sit off for 10 minutes and noticed fuel pressure was now at 64 psi again. Will be erasing codes and taking car on a short drive and will let it sit for a day or 2 and measure pressure again.

Videos and pics of testing here, should have descriptions when you click videos:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...IzbDVrYjVaR0tR

Gone but not fogotten:
Old Thu, Apr-04-2019, 12:45:40 AM   #7
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

If you can diy, Iíd try to swap the o2 sensor positions. This can only be done at the sensors themselves as the plugs can only fit in one connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-04-2019, 12:50:22 AM   #8
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
If you can diy, Iíd try to swap the o2 sensor positions. This can only be done at the sensors themselves as the plugs can only fit in one connector.

My thought as well. You could also try removing the tune and running Alpha-N (no MAF); it'll have a code, but if it runs great without the tune, you have your issue
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-04-2019, 02:49:28 AM   #9
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
If you can diy, I’d try to swap the o2 sensor positions. This can only be done at the sensors themselves as the plugs can only fit in one connector.

These have been triple checked, but i'll keep it i mind as a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
My thought as well. You could also try removing the tune and running Alpha-N (no MAF); it'll have a code, but if it runs great without the tune, you have your issue

So i checked the short term fuel trim (on cold start) on bank 2, -25% at idle, 4.7% at 2k rpm. No codes yet, went on a 15 mile drive and car felt fine, no misfires, had good power. Does this seem like a potential vacuum leak?

Gone but not fogotten:
Old Thu, Apr-04-2019, 01:23:31 PM   #10
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
These have been triple checked, but i'll keep it i mind as a last resort.

So i checked the short term fuel trim (on cold start) on bank 2, -25% at idle, 4.7% at 2k rpm. No codes yet, went on a 15 mile drive and car felt fine, no misfires, had good power. Does this seem like a potential vacuum leak?

Our cars donít seem to have complicated vacuum systems near as I can figure. You buy a smoker and do a smoke test. I have one and it never yielded anything.

Youíre certain on O2 sensors because the same guys that installed headers checked it three times?

I have had issues with misfires caused by vanos. Once it was solenoid pack but that threw codes. Another time it was the solenoid valve body needing to get cleaned.

Coil packs going bad can cause it. When I have one go, I just replace all 6.

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote