BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 09:59:16 PM   #11
ultimatemj

United States

Default Re: SMG Shift Knob Design

I'm interested to know if you experimented wit the negative cutouts rotated 45deg...

The stock has positive features in the space you went negative...

Any comments on the feel of your prototype?
OE+ : Evolve airbox | Supersprint Exhaust | PE tune | CSL trunk | 18” VMR 710 w/PSS | EU OE 2pc Rotors | Koni+Dinan springs| Valentine1 w/StealthOne | Stereo build log
Jump to top ultimatemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 10:33:03 PM   #12
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Would love to see a significantly larger knob then the stock one, though in chrome!
SUSPENSIONTURNER MOTORSPORT 30MM FRONT SWAY BAR | KW V3 COILOVERS | SDW RTABS
EXHAUSTSUPERSPRINT EXHAUST ~ OVERSIZED STEPPED V1 HEADERS | RACE CATTED SEC 1 | STOCK2 | SPORT (GEN 2) SEC 3
BRAKES ▌CSL/ZCP ROTORS | PORSCHE 996 BREMBO CALIPERS | SS LINES
WHEELS ▌ZCP BBS 19" | 75MM ECS/TMS WHEEL STUDS

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/good_m3/?hl=en
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW...3N7QDfZ5NSzriA

Journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599036
Jump to top Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 11:07:27 PM   #13
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Definitely interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemj View Post
I'm interested to know if you experimented wit the negative cutouts rotated 45deg...

The stock has positive features in the space you went negative...

Any comments on the feel of your prototype?
Curious about this as well. Would possibly be neat if you could apply alcantara inserts to the negative reliefs like the stock knob.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 11:10:13 PM   #14
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Don't have an SMG but I really dig this

Only thing is not sure about the M with no /// stripes
Jump to top BTB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 11:23:06 PM   #15
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
Don't have an SMG but I really dig this

Only thing is not sure about the M with no /// stripes
Would be interesting to see a render with and without the stripes. The Storm-Motorwerks SMG knob doesn't have the stripes either.

vs

vs

I'd think maybe even making the line thickness of the engraving a little thicker in font weight would look good (along with perhaps a little more pronounced arrow head width). I think the lines are too thin on the Storm-Motorwerks version, personally. I like how thick the lines are and the deepness of the engraving on the rendering. Looks thicker than the prototype.

Super excited about this though. Really liking everything about this project.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Mar-08-2019 at 11:28:10 PM.
Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 11:25:38 PM   #16
rbmwiv

United States

I’m game for one also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top rbmwiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 11:26:51 PM   #17
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

Storm Motorwerks SMG Paddles | Two Tone Black/Grey Interior | Alcantara E-brake Boot
Very Recent Maintenance: FCABs | FCAs | RTABs | Motor Mounts | PS Hoses | Inner/Outer Tie Rods | End Links | Vanos Solenoid |
Driveshaft R&R | Flex Disc | Fan Clutch | Trans Fluid | Diff fluid
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 11:27:07 PM   #18
M spec
Rembrandt Audio

Austria

The stripes are copyright. Storm recieved a cease and desist letter from BMW after their first batches had them on there.

Love my Storm stuff, but if you're able to produce one in aluminium that accepts the leather inserts, I'd order 2.

www.e46m3west.com/
Jump to top M spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 11:32:26 PM   #19
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M spec View Post
The stripes are copyright. Storm recieved a cease and desist letter from BMW after their first batches had them on there.

Love my Storm stuff, but if you're able to produce one in aluminium that accepts the leather inserts, I'd order 2.
That would make total sense about the stripes.

I'd be curious to try out the current design with the negative relief as is, as it looks super sleek...but having the option for the leather (or better in my mind, alcantara inserts similar to the CSL) would be amazing.

Can't wait to see this in actual metal. Already really digging the black 3D printed look (which won't get hot in the summer).

Is the 3D printed version the larger of the two? From the images, I kind of like that and think the larger of the two might be the way to go.

Old Fri, Mar-08-2019, 11:44:58 PM   #20
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

I have the Storm Motorwerks paddles, on M Spec's recommendation, and they are great. I was on the storm site about to order their shifter when I saw this thread. I'm excited to see how this goes.
Storm Motorwerks SMG Paddles | Two Tone Black/Grey Interior | Alcantara E-brake Boot
Very Recent Maintenance: FCABs | FCAs | RTABs | Motor Mounts | PS Hoses | Inner/Outer Tie Rods | End Links | Vanos Solenoid |
Driveshaft R&R | Flex Disc | Fan Clutch | Trans Fluid | Diff fluid
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote