BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Wed, Feb-06-2019, 03:01:02 PM   #21
stash1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,255
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 stash1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Woodstock, MD.

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3fl3x View Post
Good to see this cf d/s is still being worked on.

I'm in again for another group buy when it happens.
Awesome man, stay posted!
__________________
'04 AW/IR...some mods
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-07-2019, 02:06:17 PM   #22
WALKD_U
Registered User
 
WALKD_U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,116
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 WALKD_U is on a distinguished road
Location: Madison

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothraki View Post
What is new about the 3rd Gen DS? I read about the proprietary method of interlocking, but that same text and photo was used on old threads from Nov 2016. Thanks.
Title kinda misleading. This is YCW first ever built in house Driveshaft so it really should be GEN 1. The one they used to sell is a J-Fiber and YCW only help with fitment issues with SMG. We don't know how well it will held up over time, did they get the weaving right for no high speed vibration, how strong it is and etc. I am happy they have a new product out but it's in new stage and taken with caution...
__________________
Rides:
2005 AW/IR M3
BMB Stage 4
940whp/765wtq SAE Corrected

1996 BLU/BLK M3
NA Bolt-ons
235whp/225wtq SAE Corrected

Instagram:
M3HNGRY

EURO.techniks
<a href=https://www.instagram.com/m3hngry/ target=_blank>M3HNGRY</a>

Last edited by WALKD_U; Thu, Feb-07-2019 at 02:09:36 PM.
Jump to top WALKD_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-07-2019, 03:09:18 PM   #23
YCW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 71
Reputation: 0 YCW is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALKD_U View Post
Title kinda misleading. This is YCW first ever built in house Driveshaft so it really should be GEN 1. The one they used to sell is a J-Fiber and YCW only help with fitment issues with SMG. We don't know how well it will held up over time, did they get the weaving right for no high speed vibration, how strong it is and etc. I am happy they have a new product out but it's in new stage and taken with caution...
You are correct, this is the 1st gen YCW.

The one that we sold previously was sold under MFactory, and was a collaboration between YCW and J-Fiber. However, our input was not just limited to fitment issues with the SMG. Our input (i.e our CV's/Yolks) is the reason why there was a 2nd Gen J-Fiber, as the 1st Gen J-Fiber had an extremely high fail rate (it was our CV's/Yolks that fixed the NVH problems. It had nothing to do with the carbon tube). Our CV's/Yolks are industry leading, and J-Fiber no longer have access to them (doesn't mean they don't still have some stock left over though)

As for the actual carbon tube, the owner of the company that we have collaborated with to make them is the same engineer that designed the driveshaft for J-Fiber since day 1 (the guy who is explaining everything in that J-Fiber video). He obviously no longer works for J-Fiber.

I do not want this thread to turn into another YCW vs J-Fiber thread like the last one. Please refrain from bringing them up again and thus the inevitable "he says, she says". You got your chance at the J-Fiber group buy without ANY mention of YCW. Please reciprocate the favour

Last edited by YCW; Thu, Feb-07-2019 at 03:13:24 PM.
Jump to top YCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-07-2019, 03:26:09 PM   #24
stash1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,255
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 stash1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Woodstock, MD.

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALKD_U View Post
Title kinda misleading. This is YCW first ever built in house Driveshaft so it really should be GEN 1. The one they used to sell is a J-Fiber and YCW only help with fitment issues with SMG. We don't know how well it will held up over time, did they get the weaving right for no high speed vibration, how strong it is and etc. I am happy they have a new product out but it's in new stage and taken with caution...
Quote:
Originally Posted by YCW View Post
You are correct, this is the 1st gen YCW.

The one that we sold previously was sold under MFactory, and was a collaboration between YCW and J-Fiber. However, our input was not just limited to fitment issues with the SMG. Our input (i.e our CV's/Yolks) is the reason why there was a 2nd Gen J-Fiber, as the 1st Gen J-Fiber had an extremely high fail rate (it was our CV's/Yolks that fixed the NVH problems. It had nothing to do with the carbon tube). Our CV's/Yolks are industry leading, and J-Fiber no longer have access to them (doesn't mean they don't still have some stock left over though)

As for the actual carbon tube, the owner of the company that we have collaborated with to make them is the same engineer that designed the driveshaft for J-Fiber since day 1 (the guy who is explaining everything in that J-Fiber video). He obviously no longer works for J-Fiber.

I do not want this thread to turn into another YCW vs J-Fiber thread like the last one. Please refrain from bringing them up again and thus the inevitable "he says, she says". You got your chance at the J-Fiber group buy without ANY mention of YCW. Please reciprocate the favour
Agreed, I didn't crap in the other GB thread, and actually more or less endorsed it...sooo, it's not really right to come into this thread (regardless of where feelings/allegiances may lie) and cast doubt. I could've easily brought up the CF tube/flange potential failure in that thread, or announced this new YCW D/S to coincide w/the other GB, but I didn't...out of fair play and respect. Yes, let's plz keep things civil and respectful-thanx guys!
__________________
'04 AW/IR...some mods
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-07-2019, 06:54:10 PM   #25
LateBraking
Registered User
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 233
Reputation: 0 LateBraking is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCW View Post
I do not want this thread to turn into another YCW vs J-Fiber thread like the last one. Please refrain from bringing them up again
While I'm all for additional options and improved products in the marketplace (I swap products when there is a better option available even if I already have something), J-Fiber is in the original post of this thread, and specifically is shown. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
If your intent was to highlight potential methods of driveshaft failure without YCW improvements in design, there was no need to post this image. So I mean, gotta go one way with this or the other. Either keep the discussion exclusive of J-Fiber and for YCW items only, or have both be a part of the discussion. It's unfair with a bit too much favoritism to make post #1 partially about J-Fiber and then berate someone else of bringing them up in discussion when that door was opened with the very first post.

For the record I have purchased a J-Fiber driveshaft, but I haven't even driven with it yet so my opinion is neutral. For all I know, the thing could be crap, and I'll be one miserable customer 2 days from now when my car is done. No idea. My point just being I'm not "zomg J-Fiburu is best-uru" biased at the time of this post making. (I will admit my bias in that I'm very skeptical of the performance benefits of all carbon fiber driveshafts in general and I want to be proven wrong, because at this time of post making I feel like this is one of those butt-dyno things where realistically I'm going to leave the shop having said "I don't feel a single damn difference.")
__________________

Any once great forum is only as great as it's recent member attitude.
Jeep recently got officially recognized as a cult. You all best behave because you're all on the same warpath.
PM's disabled, visitor messaging disabled, don't want anything to do with this forum. Bye Felicia.

Last edited by LateBraking; Thu, Feb-07-2019 at 07:01:40 PM.
Jump to top LateBraking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-07-2019, 07:43:58 PM   #26
YCW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 71
Reputation: 0 YCW is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

The image is valid in the post, and the reason for posting it is because it was an example of our 2nd Gen. driveshaft failures, and why we have revised our design.

It just so happened that those particular images were from our China market customers (sold by us, not by J-Fiber, as we had China exclusivity as well), which were sold under the J-Fiber brand (and not under MFactory, which was only used for the US/UK markets). This was not done to undermine the J-Fiber brand, and we have/will refrain from bringing up the J-Fiber brand in this thread.

Now, if you or someone else wants to keep bringing up the J-Fiber failures (and to be honest, it is irrelevant whether the sticker says J-Fiber or MFactory, as the product is the exact same thing), then be my guest; I will not stop you from doing that.

However, what I do NOT want to happen in this thread is a repeat of the previous thread with a "tit-for-tat", "he says, she says", "you are lying to us all" etc etc. THAT is what I am trying to avoid in this thread.

So once again, I am politely asking everyone, please refrain from bringing up J-Fiber in this thread in the interest of keeping it on-topic. If you want to discuss J-Fiber, how YCW is lying to you etc etc, please start your own thread. Do not start it in here.

Last edited by YCW; Thu, Feb-07-2019 at 08:17:38 PM.
Jump to top YCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-07-2019, 09:33:16 PM   #27
stash1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,255
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 stash1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Woodstock, MD.

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
If your intent was to highlight potential methods of driveshaft failure without YCW improvements in design, there was no need to post this image. So I mean, gotta go one way with this or the other. Either keep the discussion exclusive of J-Fiber and for YCW items only, or have both be a part of the discussion. It's unfair with a bit too much favoritism to make post #1 partially about J-Fiber and then berate someone else of bringing them up in discussion when that door was opened with the very first post.
Ya, I posted the images, so I'll address it from my perspective. I think (I would hope anyway) by now that ppl know my intentions are legit. I've hosted a few different GB's to date, and I've been candid and upfront about the products I've endorsed (or not) every time. The point was NOT to call anybody out, simply to illustrate that there have been/can be potential failures w/the current CF D/S...sorry if anyone took it as an attack!? What if I hadn't posted a pic? Then ppl would've demanded evidence-lol. Maybe some are forgetting that I have one in my car currently and endorsed it previously?

This thread is simply here to announce another potential CF D/S option...w/hopefully an improved design. What's wrong w/that? Competition is good for everyone, and tends to improve products for us-the end users. Sometimes it even reduces the 'BMW tax' that all of us feel at times-lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
For all I know, the thing could be crap, and I'll be one miserable customer 2 days from now when my car is done. No idea. My point just being I'm not "zomg J-Fiburu is best-uru" biased at the time of this post making. (I will admit my bias in that I'm very skeptical of the performance benefits of all carbon fiber driveshafts in general and I want to be proven wrong, because at this time of post making I feel like this is one of those butt-dyno things where realistically I'm going to leave the shop having said "I don't feel a single damn difference.")
Lol dude, it's not crap, if you receive the same D/S that I have...I think that you will be happy w/it. Hopefully you feel what myself and others have felt. This isn't about one vs. the other...it's not a competition. It's about trying to improve the breed, and maybe making a good thing even better at a lower price point.
__________________
'04 AW/IR...some mods
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-07-2019, 09:33:49 PM   #28
WuBai
Five Spiced and Lovin' It
 
WuBai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 520
Reputation: 0 WuBai has disabled reputation

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

Jump to top WuBai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-08-2019, 02:53:00 AM   #29
CommanderW
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 237
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 CommanderW is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

Looking forward to getting my hands on this big hard shaft...

__________________
1000+RWHP, Lab22 Built Turbo S54 - BMW Half Mile Record Holder
Jump to top CommanderW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-08-2019, 03:39:25 PM   #30
stash1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,255
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 stash1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Woodstock, MD.

United States




Default Re: **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderW View Post
Looking forward to getting my hands on this big hard shaft...

Leave it to Kenton to put the 'F' in M3F-lol. Why do I feel like this isn't the first time that you've said that!? How's the build coming along btw? New 'bullet' back in the car yet?
__________________
'04 AW/IR...some mods

Last edited by stash1; Fri, Feb-08-2019 at 03:51:09 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:24:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing **YCW 3rd GEN CF D/S NEW IMPROVED VERSION COMING TO MARKET** in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)