BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jul-26-2011, 02:41:52 AM   #1
JDMRRS

Default DSC-Brake Warning Lights, Found one Fix

...although the lights are an indicator of many possible problems.

On the way to the track, the DSC and yellow Brake warning lights came on. Turned around and went home. Brake fluid level was not low, in fact it was filled very high. Played around with the sensor and the float in the reservoir cap and the lights went out! No codes. Just to be thorough also cleaned the wheel sensors with a spray of brake cleaner. Sure was cheaper than a new DSC unit, steering sensor, wheel sensors etc. etc. Will track test this week.
Jump to top JDMRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-26-2011, 03:01:58 PM   #2
M3Blurr
Turd bro S54 retard!

United States

Default Re: DSC-Brake Warning Lights, Found one Fix

Having the same issue. Check and freed the float already. Was contemplating plulling wheel speed sensors and giving them a cleaning. Going to try this weekend then if that doesnt work its off to a GT1. Good luck and keep me posted.
Old Tue, Jul-26-2011, 03:09:33 PM   #3
LightWerkz
Automotive Lighting Innovations

United States

Eh not sure you fixed the issue. Sometimes with a simple turn off with the engine, it will remove the codes. They typically reappear shortly after on the next drive if something is wrong.

I had these codes present and replaced a wheel sensor and they did not go away. The only thing that fixed was a proper alignment and a recalibration of my steering angle sensor.

Also this just disables your DSC, no reason why you couldn't go to the track

2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White on Caramel
Jump to top LightWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-26-2011, 03:30:45 PM   #4
Highpower11

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Eh not sure you fixed the issue. Sometimes with a simple turn off with the engine, it will remove the codes. They typically reappear shortly after on the next drive if something is wrong.

I had these codes present and replaced a wheel sensor and they did not go away. The only thing that fixed was a proper alignment and a recalibration of my steering angle sensor.

Also this just disables your DSC, no reason why you couldn't go to the track
Caesar, what codes were pulled in your case that prompted you to perform your fix? It seems that a variety of failed components (DSC Module, Wheel Speed Sensor(s), Steering Angle Sensor and associated alignment, Brake Pressure Sensor(s)) could trigger the DSC and amber Brake caution light.

06 /// M3 ZCP, 6MT, Interlagos Blau Metallic \ M-Alcantara\ Volk RE30\ VMR 701 (winter)\ CDV delete\ ESS ECU Tune\ RPI Scoops\ BMC Filter\ Turner aluminum Race Pedals\ Rogue FR 10mm spacers\ Rogue RSM\ Vogtland Springs\
\ V1 Hardwire\ DICE/iPhone\ Smoked corners\ painted reflectors\ ZHP illuminated Alcantara shift knob\ HID fog's\ LightWerkz TFX\ Nav, Power seats & Sunroof delete\ Coming Soon: Euro Headers & Cats
Jump to top Highpower11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-26-2011, 05:38:46 PM   #5
LightWerkz
Automotive Lighting Innovations

United States

My friend has a diagnostic scanner and it said a few things...

Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left Electrical Failure

Steering Angle Sensor Signal Not Plausible, Offset

Pressure Sensor 1/2 Not Plausible

CAN Timeout DME

RPA Push Button Error

2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White on Caramel
Jump to top LightWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-27-2011, 11:16:29 PM   #6
JDMRRS

Update on my particular problem: Alignment was never an issue. After 200 miles including track time - no warning lights or brake codes. I wonder if high brake fluid levels and cornering forces allow fluid to get on top of the float/level sensor, causing it to sink a little and think that the reservoir is low. Be careful and remember that the DSC & Yellow Brake warning light combo is used as an indicator for several different problems.
Isn't it great to be able to do post-manufacture development work for BMW.
Old Sun, Aug-14-2011, 01:01:08 AM   #7
VGLNTE1

United States

I am having this same issue on the 2004 I just bought...guess I will try the things listed above and see what happens....can anyone post a pic of wtf the float is in the brake thing?

2002 ST1 Corvette. 600HP 600TQ
2004 BMW M3 - stock
2005 mustang GT - Wifes. I hate mustangs
Jump to top VGLNTE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-14-2011, 02:42:59 AM   #8
Highpower11

United States

In my case the problem was traced to both front and rear brake pressure sensors. The car was scanned with a GT1 and pulled data that showed brake pressure in the system when there should not have been. The pressure sensors are located beneath the master cylinder. After replacement and calibration of the new sensors all is back to normal. I was very thankful the problem was not with the DSC/ABS module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 /// M3 ZCP, 6MT, Interlagos Blau Metallic \ M-Alcantara\ Volk RE30\ VMR 701 (winter)\ CDV delete\ ESS ECU Tune\ RPI Scoops\ BMC Filter\ Turner aluminum Race Pedals\ Rogue FR 10mm spacers\ Rogue RSM\ Vogtland Springs\
\ V1 Hardwire\ DICE/iPhone\ Smoked corners\ painted reflectors\ ZHP illuminated Alcantara shift knob\ HID fog's\ LightWerkz TFX\ Nav, Power seats & Sunroof delete\ Coming Soon: Euro Headers & Cats
Jump to top Highpower11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-14-2011, 03:40:53 AM   #9
JDMRRS

Under the hood, on the drivers side firewall you will find the brake fluid reservoir (white/semi opaque plastic). Clean/blow away any dirt away from around/under the cap, unscrew the cap, be careful of the wires leading into the top of the cap. The fluid level sensor is attached to the underside of the cap - a black flexible rubber/plastic disk, gently move it up and down. Screw the cap back onto the reservoir. See owners manual.
On the side of the reservoir are low and max marks for the fluid level. Add fluid from a fresh, previously unopened bottle if you need to. See owners manual. Don't overfill. Don't spill.
On the track where high brake pad wear might be expected, some mechanics will overfill the reservoir expecting that as the pads wear more fluid will be drawn into the brake calipers as the pistons move outward along with the brake pads. This may have caused my problem, so far everything is fine after multiple track sessions.
Good Luck

Last edited by JDMRRS; Sun, Aug-14-2011 at 03:45:26 AM.
Old Sun, Aug-14-2011, 03:52:03 AM   #10
VGLNTE1

United States

I checked mine and the fluid was a little low, so I filled it just below the MAX mark...lights turned off. I drove the car, then shut it off. Turned it back on an hour later and they pop back up again. When these lights are on, the only thing I dont have is traction control right?

2002 ST1 Corvette. 600HP 600TQ
2004 BMW M3 - stock
2005 mustang GT - Wifes. I hate mustangs
Jump to top VGLNTE1 is offline   Reply With Quote