BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 05:36:05 AM   #11
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Cylinder 4-5-6 misfiring dilema.. (this car is never ending..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos View Post
pre or post?

didn't look at them long enough tho I just remember seeing the value when I was scrolling thru the values that they were at .8v
Pre make the car run, post just check the function of the catalyst.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, stock S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 05:42:55 AM   #12
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Pre o2 readings of .8 (rich) jive with what your spark plugs on 4-6 show (rich). Start with replacing o2 sensors, then we can isolate weird idle/running/starting issues.

Hopefully it wont be starter, stuck open injectors, etc, but we'll get there when we get there. Eliminate the known solution to one of the problems first (o2).

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, stock S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Old Sat, Jun-01-2019, 05:43:25 AM   #13
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Pre make the car run, post just check the function of the catalyst.

thanks, I'll change them since I am almost 100% positive they are the factory ones. and even if they aren't the culprit its about time to retire them anyway.
Old Tue, Jun-11-2019, 11:15:31 PM   #14
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

update:

so my starter went out and thats another story, but I removed my airbox in preparation of switching my starter out when the new one comes in. and was cleaning my throttle bodies and noticed that cylinder 6 is flooded as hell w/ fuel!

at first I asked myself "do I have a stuck injector?" but then again I remember that on cold start the car was running fine.

And as someone explained to me, on cold start the car is not looking for the o2 sensor values for the air to fuel ratio but on barrometric pressure and throttle position? or something and once the car gets to temp it will start using o2 sensor values to adjust for afr which makes sense that I get misfire once the car is warmed up thats when my misfire starts.

Thing is, how did the flooding happen? when my starter went out? while trying to crank and it just kept that injector open to flood it?

it's just cylinder 6 that is flooded, other cylinders looked good.

And need advice on how to remove the fuel there, I soaked up as much as I can out w/ shop towels, the ones I can reach from the throttle body. will try to remove the spark plug and maybe get it from there but the hole is too small for anything there LOL.

imma try and test my injectors as well before tidying things up after the starter install. and clean them up as well. but if anyone has theories on how cylinder 6 got flooded I am all ears. anyways will update you guys as things go along.
Old Tue, Jun-11-2019, 11:27:47 PM   #15
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

You prob also have a spark issue on #6.

Yes, on startup you are in open loop running off a default map, once it warms up a bit, it goes to closed loop which is when it starts adjusting afr from front o2.

You can pull all spark plugs and crank it, how you would clear a flooded car. Have a towel on top so you don't spray fuel everywhere. You could also get a syphon (hose used for bleeding brakes, etc of small diameter and stick through the spark plug hole and create a vacuum to suck it out).

Old Tue, Jun-11-2019, 11:48:51 PM   #16
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
You prob also have a spark issue on #6.

Yes, on startup you are in open loop running off a default map, once it warms up a bit, it goes to closed loop which is when it starts adjusting afr from front o2.

You can pull all spark plugs and crank it, how you would clear a flooded car. Have a towel on top so you don't spray fuel everywhere. You could also get a syphon (hose used for bleeding brakes, etc of small diameter and stick through the spark plug hole and create a vacuum to suck it out).

I've been reading around, I'll try get as much fuel as I can, I saw this procedure on how to deflood a car.

The procedure goes

Remove fuel pump fuse
press down on gas (this deactivates injectors)
crank it and it should start or try to start at least and burn off the fuel in the cylinder. (try it about 3 times)
remove plugs on affected cylinder
add a table spoon of oil into the plug hole
crank 3 times again (this steps w/ oil is to re-lubricate the cylinder walls since it is most likely got washed down by the fuel)
re-install plugs and fuel pump fuse
press down again on gas before starting to deactivate injectors and crank it and once it starts let go of the gas pedal and everything should be working, maybe some smoke due to some more fuel remaining in the cylinder.

does that sounds right to any of you guys?
Old Wed, Jun-12-2019, 03:40:09 AM   #17
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I've been reading around, I'll try get as much fuel as I can, I saw this procedure on how to deflood a car.

The procedure goes

Remove fuel pump fuse
press down on gas (this deactivates injectors)
crank it and it should start or try to start at least and burn off the fuel in the cylinder. (try it about 3 times)
remove plugs on affected cylinder
add a table spoon of oil into the plug hole
crank 3 times again (this steps w/ oil is to re-lubricate the cylinder walls since it is most likely got washed down by the fuel)
re-install plugs and fuel pump fuse
press down again on gas before starting to deactivate injectors and crank it and once it starts let go of the gas pedal and everything should be working, maybe some smoke due to some more fuel remaining in the cylinder.

does that sounds right to any of you guys?
Nope-itty-nope. If you suspect you flooded it, don't immediately start cranking the bejeezus out of it. The force of the starter against a fully flooded (i.e. no way that's compressing) cylinder is enough to cause internal engine damage.

If you suspect a stuck injector, go straight to pulling spark plugs as mentioned above.
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 03:25:17 AM   #18
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Nope-itty-nope. If you suspect you flooded it, don't immediately start cranking the bejeezus out of it. The force of the starter against a fully flooded (i.e. no way that's compressing) cylinder is enough to cause internal engine damage.

If you suspect a stuck injector, go straight to pulling spark plugs as mentioned above.
Upon removing the spark plugs all cylinders are flooded w/ fuel but the most obvious one is cylinder 6.

so to flush it out should I take out the fuel pump fuse as well before trying to crank it w/ the spark plugs off as well? this dumps the excess fuel out of the exhaust right?
Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 04:11:29 AM   #19
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Yes, just like you would be doing a compression test, spark plugs out, fuse 54 out.

Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 04:36:16 AM   #20
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Upon removing the spark plugs all cylinders are flooded w/ fuel but the most obvious one is cylinder 6.

so to flush it out should I take out the fuel pump fuse as well before trying to crank it w/ the spark plugs off as well? this dumps the excess fuel out of the exhaust right?
Yes, removing the spark plug is key so there's no compression- if you can siphon some out before cranking it would be ideal.

If all cylinders are filled it sounds like you have a tune issue or something...
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote