BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > General BMW > General BMW Discussion
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

General BMW Discussion Place to discuss all things BMW. And a place for E30, E36, and E46 owners to get to know each other! BMW News

Old Wed, Jun-12-2019, 06:22:20 PM   #441
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Have you driven a car you think feels better than your e46 m3?

Iím afraid of driving a 997 gt3, bcs I may start thinking my m3 is shit lol. But thatís all speculations on my end.
That's a very rational fear.. it's really hard not to enjoy a Porsche aside from cost and practicality
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-12-2019, 06:57:18 PM   #442
fastmonbbs

In the garage:

United States

If your E46 is paid off why sell it? Unless there are other circumstances which would make you sell it. Myself, I just added the M2C to my E46. It's an amazing car! E46 with loads of torque
Old Wed, Jun-12-2019, 07:02:24 PM   #443
S54VAGE

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmonbbs View Post
If your E46 is paid off why sell it? Unless there are other circumstances which would make you sell it. Myself, I just added the M2C to my E46. It's an amazing car! E46 with loads of torque
Easy, practicality aside: not everyone can afford to or has the space.
Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 01:31:38 PM   #444
R60BBA

In the garage:

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmonbbs View Post
Exactly this.

However my recent man maths has got me considering an OG M2 LCI, but remapped with M seats and M mirrors.
IG: bavarianjunkie
https://youtu.be/y0ymv8jOC0Y

Jump to top R60BBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 07:08:59 AM   #445
808elise

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54VAGE View Post
Easy, practicality aside: not everyone can afford to or has the space.

True but if u cant afford to keep the e46 and buy the f87 at this point u prob never had any business looking at the f87 in the first place. Especially with mark ups that are slowly going away but still exist at many dealerships. The e46 is a 20k car for a well kept low miles car...

I also added to my line up. One or two of u are having a hard time seeing over the mound of all your pride in a 15yr old car. I get it, really i do.

I love my e46 or i would have never switched back to it several times, sunk a ton of money into it, and all the time. However, there are numerous things that make the m2c such a blast to drive especially for those of us who use our cars to commute. I am willing to bet that most of us here use our cars by a vast majority on the street where the m2c shines with low end torque, power, and maneuverability by the bucket load. There are a great deal of improvements made to the m2c over the m2. One of u mentioned issues with cooling on the m2. True, this was addressed in the m2c. Additionally, brakes were drastically improved. This added some weight that much of the m2 crowd hinges their pride on along with the sound between the m2 and m2c. The crank hub issue is a ridiculously low rate of probability. Much less than say sub frame cracks on the e46. Every car has its weak points and there are alot of bmw drivers who love mods where most of the sch issues occurred. Additionally, bmw addressed this issue in 2017 with adding splines that dropped failure rates even lower. There are also resolutions coming to the market backed by warranties. The first resolution with warranty hit the streets last week.

With all that said, the beauty of the s55 is that with a dp, charge pipes, filters, and tune it is easy to get the car to 500whp/500tq and produce more sound that others of u have discussed. It shreds at this level for under $1k of easy mods. Upgrading turbos is another 3.5k on the same tuning platform netting 600+ whp on an already factory capable platform and pump gas. There is much more room for big boy setups that are also being released if u want to go over 700whp and all the fuel and drivetrain tuning components included with that.

For those of u who dont enjoy the crazy torque this car produces very early in the rev range, jus stick to what u like. I like going fast, torque, ect... I dont enjoy searching for power when i need it, dragging it out of the car, ect. If thats your thing, look to lotus/go carting, and other underpowered race platforms. Honestly, the e46 is not a place to look for that style of driving either. The m2c is the new and improved e46. Also keep in mind all the technology improvements you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 11:16:00 AM   #446
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
I dont enjoy searching for power when i need it, dragging it out of the car, ect. If thats your thing, look to lotus/go carting, and other underpowered race platforms. Honestly, the e46 is not a place to look for that style of driving either. The m2c is the new and improved e46. Also keep in mind all the technology improvements you get.
I think the aftermarket turbo on your e46 may be skewing you opinion of what the e46 M3 is. Every M3 prior to the F8X generation was all about working for the power (possible exception: US spec e36). It's a pretty defining element of the s54/e46 M3 experience... and the s14 experience, and the S65 experience, and the s50B32 experience, etc. A lotus or go cart isn't a very DDable or practical solution.

As for the tech... that's what I despise most in my modern BMW (actually, that's a lie... EPS is what I most despise). If I could get rid of iDrive and comfort access, I'd like the car significantly more (and I managed to avoid the active safety features that would really drive me nuts).

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Fri, Jun-14-2019 at 11:21:36 AM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 01:20:53 PM   #447
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
The e46 is a 20k car for a well kept low miles car...

You just described 0.001% of the members with that example m3 lol. Most are new owners that got the sub $10k craigslist m3 special.

On a serious note, If I was to keep my m3 I wouldn’t even consider an m2. Too similar in their intended purpose (multi purpose performance car). I’d get a gt4 or similar. Purpose built sports car with no compromise.
Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 04:00:46 PM   #448
808elise

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I think the aftermarket turbo on your e46 may be skewing you opinion of what the e46 M3 is. Every M3 prior to the F8X generation was all about working for the power (possible exception: US spec e36). It's a pretty defining element of the s54/e46 M3 experience... and the s14 experience, and the S65 experience, and the s50B32 experience, etc. A lotus or go cart isn't a very DDable or practical solution.

As for the tech... that's what I despise most in my modern BMW (actually, that's a lie... EPS is what I most despise). If I could get rid of iDrive and comfort access, I'd like the car significantly more (and I managed to avoid the active safety features that would really drive me nuts).

Im on my fourth e46. Na, sc, turbo. Ive never really found the e46 in need of working for the power. They are both street cars in stock form but the lotus leans further to track. Despite your feelings on my particular e46, the turbo greatly enhanced my experience along with supporting mods.

Yep, lotus and carts are more track oriented where an m3 certainly leans toward a street car in stock form. You have to work for the power past the cornering capability of a lotus. That is not the case for the m3.

There are so many options for limiting the active safety features in the stock software on the m2c. With a tune there are even more. Not really something you would have figured out after a test drive. In every sense the m2c is a more capable car but i still love my e46 and decided to keep it. Comfort access and idrive? Ok. I donít really see those features as ruining a car...

Anyhow, i think u have a good thing going with your point of view, certainly not a view most consumers would agree with but a great way to spend less on your hobby. I dont have to legitimize a reason to say why my e46 is a better car than my f87. The f87 is just more capable in every capacity (as it should be after 15yrs).

Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 04:12:59 PM   #449
808elise

United States

Default Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
You just described 0.001% of the members with that example m3 lol. Most are new owners that got the sub $10k craigslist m3 special.

On a serious note, If I was to keep my m3 I wouldnít even consider an m2. Too similar in their intended purpose (multi purpose performance car). Iíd get a gt4 or similar. Purpose built sports car with no compromise.

Oh i totally agree! Thats why i said mentioned the low milage and clean example. The vast majority of the 16 year olds that now buy the e46 will mod them with air suspension and shiny rims. E46bros. They are cheap. Thats my point. Dont sell it if u feel so strongly about it. Not like its going make a dent in your gt4 payment.

Ok. I have a wife and son. So the m2c was a great option where i still have my modded e46 to fill that all out performance void. Im still looking at the ultima gtr and a new model was just released. That will be an addition not replacement for my 4 seat/mid 60k car. Its not a compromise just fits my lifestyle. Also important to keep in mind that the gt4 is significantly more money for two less seats. When u go looking for a mid 60k car with 4 seats that perform like the m2c your options narrow. Has nothing to do with a compromise.

Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 04:27:45 PM   #450
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
That will be an addition not replacement for my 4 seat/mid 60k car. Its not a compromise just fits my lifestyle. Also important to keep in mind that the gt4 is significantly more money for two less seats. When u go looking for a mid 60k car with 4 seats that perform like the m2c your options narrow. Has nothing to do with a compromise.

What I meant by compromise, is the intended design of the car. The 2series or M2 was originally designed to seat 4 comfortably, high roofline for spacious feel, nice comfy seats for family trips, and big luggage space for groceries. This was same thing e46 m3 was originally designed for. Good at everything but not particular great at one specific thing.

GT4 (or lotus, cayman S etc) was designed strictly for enjoyment at a track or winding roads. I look at the 2seats as a pro, for a 2nd car to add to the m3. But like you said, depends on budget, lifestyle, and family circumstances.

Last edited by Paulo M; Fri, Jun-14-2019 at 04:35:13 PM.
Jump to top Paulo M is online now   Reply With Quote