BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jun-10-2019, 12:15:21 AM   #1
CraigMak

United States

Default Very Rough Idle

So, I just took my car out for a drive today and when I was at a stop light idling I felt that it almost died.

Then on my way back home it suddenly went into limp mode and and the idle became very rough. It sounds and feels like something is off balance. Any idea what would cause this?

Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-10-2019, 12:27:02 AM   #2
brandong2025

United States

Default Re: Very Rough Idle

I just had the same thing happen too me last week. One of my coils whent out an was causing a misfire. I would say buy a scanner if you don't already have one and scan it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Jump to top brandong2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-10-2019, 12:41:37 AM   #3
CraigMak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandong2025 View Post
I just had the same thing happen too me last week. One of my coils whent out an was causing a misfire. I would say buy a scanner if you don't already have one and scan it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks, that's what I initially thought it might be. I thought I had a scanner but couldn't find it.

Old Mon, Jun-10-2019, 12:43:55 AM   #4
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

read codes coz It could be literally quite a few thing that is causing the misfire.
Jump to top erickrayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-10-2019, 01:17:20 AM   #5
CraigMak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos View Post
read codes coz It could be literally quite a few thing that is causing the misfire.
Any recommendation on a code reader? Will the $30 eBay special work just fine as long as it has BMW codes? What do the more expensive ones offer that I might care about?

Old Mon, Jun-10-2019, 04:40:39 AM   #6
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMak View Post
Any recommendation on a code reader? Will the $30 eBay special work just fine as long as it has BMW codes? What do the more expensive ones offer that I might care about?
Get an obd2 bluetooth adapter and buy the obdfusion app. It's great for clearing codes, basic troubleshooting, can do logging, dashboards of readouts, monitor readiness check, etc.

That said, you can borrow and get a free scan of codes at autozone and the like.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, stock S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-10-2019, 06:46:39 AM   #7
CraigMak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Get an obd2 bluetooth adapter and buy the obdfusion app. It's great for clearing codes, basic troubleshooting, can do logging, dashboards of readouts, monitor readiness check, etc.

That said, you can borrow and get a free scan of codes at autozone and the like.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I know autozone does it for free but I don't think I want to be driving my car around the way it is.

Old Mon, Jun-10-2019, 01:37:14 PM   #8
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

If you want to diagnose if it’s a coil/which it is for free, unplug them on at a time. When you find the one that doesn’t change the idle, that’s the problem cylinder. Swap the coil with another cylinder to see if it’s the coil or plug that failed.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-10-2019, 07:42:58 PM   #9
CraigMak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
If you want to diagnose if itís a coil/which it is for free, unplug them on at a time. When you find the one that doesnít change the idle, thatís the problem cylinder. Swap the coil with another cylinder to see if itís the coil or plug that failed.
Thanks! Yeah, I did see that procedure on youtube. Looks pretty straight forward and easy. I'm probably just going to buy the whole kit to replace spark plugs and ignition coils as well as any tools I need. Even buying tools it will probably cost less than taking it to a shop. Then I have the tools forever.

My idle seems a lot rougher than the video. The guy had a glass of water resting on the engine to show how rough it was when he was switching the coil in and out. Mine seems more like 2 coils are dead.

Old Sun, Jun-16-2019, 07:01:39 PM   #10
CraigMak

United States

I just pulled some codes today. It's looking like it's not going to be as easy as replacing my ignition coils. I got the following:

P0301: CYLINDER 1 MISFIRE
P0302: CYLINDER 2 MISFIRE
P1341: MULTI CYLINDER MISFIRE WITH FUEL CUT OFF

I cleared the codes and started it up with the reader in place and it immediately kicked out codes:

P0303: CYLINDER 3 MISFIRE
P0304: CYLINDER 4 MISFIRE
P1341: MULTI CYLINDER MISFIRE WITH FUEL CUT OFF

I looked at live data and it gave me:
FUEL SYSTEM 1: OL_FAULT
FUEL SYSTEM 2: OL_FAULT

So it's looking like something to do with fuel pump or fuel injectors? I've never had to replace either and it's an 01' with 165K miles. Any insights on these codes? What should I look at next?