BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, May-31-2019, 04:53:20 AM   #51
04yfz

United States

Default Re: At my wits end, misfire issue, OBDII monitors incomplete...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
Got ahold of TTFS, will be going there Tuesday after work.

He said these ECU's are dropping like flies, to test it, he'll flash my car back to stock, and if the intermittent issue doesnt come back, its tune tune (and i assume he will fix it), if it does, then my ECU is goofed.

Guess we'll find out.
You have misfires and coils with 128k miles..change the coil packs they're not expensive and even if they don't fix your issues I'm sure they're well past their prime.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 09:31:17 PM   #52
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04yfz View Post
You have misfires and coils with 128k miles..change the coil packs they're not expensive and even if they don't fix your issues I'm sure they're well past their prime.

There is nothing wrong with his coils. However, if you are willing to buy him some fresh ones I doubt he would turn down the offer.
2005 BMW M3 ZCP Nardo Gray | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | Euro bumper w/ Morimoto led fogs | 1 piece Carbon Lip | VIS XTS Full carbon hood | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-09-2019, 09:36:15 PM   #53
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextelbuddy1 View Post
i'm assuming after reading through all the pages that you dont have a laptop with flashing capabilities and a proper cable?

since your car is a 2006, the next thing I would be doing is making a full backup of your DME and Tune file and then after that flashing the OEM modified CSL software to your HP DME since your car is a 2006 and seeing if you have similar issues or if it gets better.

if you have all 4 o2 sensors plugged in and in the proper locations, you shouldn't have to have them suppressed or coded out anyways.

unless you are still running a MAF sensor and that's why you went with the TTFS tune?

I thought you read all the pages? Maybe you missed where I swapped in a DME with that same modified OEM software and he had no issues.

We are just waiting to find out if itís the actual DME.
2005 BMW M3 ZCP Nardo Gray | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | Euro bumper w/ Morimoto led fogs | 1 piece Carbon Lip | VIS XTS Full carbon hood | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 05:49:36 PM   #54
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Long awaited update!

I was able to go to TTFS this past weekend and was planning on having them just flash the car to stock to see if it was the tune. Was rather difficult for me to get them to look at the tune file, but after many months of badgering, they looked at it since i mentioned that the SAP was deleted the same time as I had the headers swapped for euro headers

Well, when TTFS tuned my car for the headers, they maybe didnt remove the SAP from the tune, or something of that sort, i dont know the exact terminology.

The theory was that the car was trying to add more fuel and ran rich and thus misfired while it thought the SAP was throwing in more air, but since there is no SAP, car was confused, and the rest of the values for AFR were thrown off due to startup values being off.

WELLLLL, they read the file, and immediately tell me its not their tune. TTFS watermarks his tune, he said it was someone elses tune, and it looks like the tune was for a supercharged car, but we arent sure.

I did NOT ever get this car tuned by anyone else, nor did I take it to anyone for tuning work since before this issue started, TTFS was the only shop or person to touch my car for tuning. I did have a friend program the auto window roll up on my car, but he never flashed my DME.

So i do not know how this random tune ever got on my car, either TTFS threw it on by accident and never realized, or it magically appeared on my car...........

Well TTFS used the right tune, adjusted their values and such, and the car runs perfect!

Idles amazing, and throttle response is better. Even when I shift through the gears the car is just smoother. I now remember how awesome this thing is to drive when it runs well. SOOO happy this issue is squared away! Been driving for about 4-5 days now, with no issues at all.

CASE CLOSED!
1996 M3 Coupe, Techno Violet/Hurricane, 5MT

Gone but not fogotten:
1997 M3 Coupe Techno Violet/Mulberry 5MT, 2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R 6MT, 1996 XJ Red/Tan AT, 1995 M3 Coupe Silver 5MT, 1988 325e Black/Black 5MT, 2002 330ci Blue/Grey 5MT, 2003 ZHP Sedan Black/Black 6MT, 2003 M3 Imola Red/Black 6MT
Jump to top alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 05:53:53 PM   #55
Kenny167

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Long awaited update!

I was able to go to TTFS this past weekend and was planning on having them just flash the car to stock to see if it was the tune. Was rather difficult for me to get them to look at the tune file, but after many months of badgering, they looked at it since i mentioned that the SAP was deleted the same time as I had the headers swapped for euro headers

Well, when TTFS tuned my car for the headers, they maybe didnt remove the SAP from the tune, or something of that sort, i dont know the exact terminology.

The theory was that the car was trying to add more fuel and ran rich and thus misfired while it thought the SAP was throwing in more air, but since there is no SAP, car was confused, and the rest of the values for AFR were thrown off due to startup values being off.

WELLLLL, they read the file, and immediately tell me its not their tune. TTFS watermarks his tune, he said it was someone elses tune, and it looks like the tune was for a supercharged car, but we arent sure.

I did NOT ever get this car tuned by anyone else, nor did I take it to anyone for tuning work since before this issue started, TTFS was the only shop or person to touch my car for tuning. I did have a friend program the auto window roll up on my car, but he never flashed my DME.

So i do not know how this random tune ever got on my car, either TTFS threw it on by accident and never realized, or it magically appeared on my car...........

Well TTFS used the right tune, adjusted their values and such, and the car runs perfect!

Idles amazing, and throttle response is better. Even when I shift through the gears the car is just smoother. I now remember how awesome this thing is to drive when it runs well. SOOO happy this issue is squared away! Been driving for about 4-5 days now, with no issues at all.

CASE CLOSED!
Wow... So in the end it was the tune! I'm not surprised, it seemed pretty clear to me that it was the issue... Well, it took a really long time but I'm glad everything is sorted out now, time for some Dyno runs to see if you actually gained anything for all your struggle
Jump to top Kenny167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 06:01:40 PM   #56
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny167 View Post
Wow... So in the end it was the tune! I'm not surprised, it seemed pretty clear to me that it was the issue... Well, it took a really long time but I'm glad everything is sorted out now, time for some Dyno runs to see if you actually gained anything for all your struggle
As long as im close to the 340whp i had after i got the headers put on, ill be happy. I need to find a tuner with a dyno to do a run on though, dont think i'll be going to TTFS anymore after this whole runaround.

I could've saved $1500 in parts/labor if he just looked at the tune when i told him something was wrong....

Gone but not fogotten:
1997 M3 Coupe Techno Violet/Mulberry 5MT, 2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R 6MT, 1996 XJ Red/Tan AT, 1995 M3 Coupe Silver 5MT, 1988 325e Black/Black 5MT, 2002 330ci Blue/Grey 5MT, 2003 ZHP Sedan Black/Black 6MT, 2003 M3 Imola Red/Black 6MT
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 06:01:50 PM   #57
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE

In the garage:

United States

Glad everything worked out.

40 roll tonight?
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 06:03:04 PM   #58
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanArt View Post
Glad everything worked out.

40 roll tonight?
28 has some safe spots for a quick roll

Gone but not fogotten:
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 06:04:55 PM   #59
Kenny167

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
As long as im close to the 340whp i had after i got the headers put on, ill be happy. I need to find a tuner with a dyno to do a run on though, dont think i'll be going to TTFS anymore after this whole runaround.

I could've saved $1500 in parts/labor if he just looked at the tune when i told him something was wrong....
Honestly I've only been hearing poor things about TTFS lately, the fact that he didn't believe this was his problem etc. Etc. When it clearly was is silly... And it costed you, you should bill him for it
Jump to top Kenny167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 06:18:00 PM   #60
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
28 has some safe spots for a quick roll
Cool cool, I'll text you. You can see the house too. Just got to do it after the kiddos are sleeping
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote