BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 08:43:32 PM   #481
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
F10 M5 has less interior space than e60 M5.
E60 M5 has less interior space than e39 M5.
Yeah, I was joking. I didn't know about the interior space though that's good to know!

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
@jet.m3
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 08:50:22 PM   #482
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

150 lb here. Works in my favor in this case.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-23-2018, 04:17:51 AM   #483
Sandeep1212

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Being 110 lb will make a world of difference on the track too; performance-wise.
Quote:
That's 100+ lbs of weight saving I'll never have

2003.5 TIAG Black 6MT Gone
2003.5 Carbon Black Laguna Seca Blue SMG Current
Supersprint V1/Supersprint straight pipe sec 1/ Supersprint X-pipe/OEM Muffler/Eventuri Intake/TCKline Single Adjustable/TCKline Camber Plates/TMS Adjustable Rear Control Arm/Powerflex Black RTABs/Turner Delrin FCABS/ Brembo GT 6 pot F 4 Pot R/OEM CSL Trunk/ SGT 1 piece lip
Jump to top Sandeep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-23-2018, 04:26:03 AM   #484
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
I see threads every once in awhile about crunchy 3rd gears with non-OEM gear oil. The PO put redline in my car and it crunches if you don't give the synchros enough time.
Mine does something similar with 2nd gear. When it's cold or it's been sitting for a bit and I start driving, 2nd gear grinds a lot. After a while it goes away, but just last week it didn't engage fully after trying to throw it into gear with some grinding and it kicked me into neutral.
Old Tue, Oct-23-2018, 05:36:32 AM   #485
STAATS

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
100% agreed.

"Singerizing" is really just making the car the best it can be. What really sets them apart is that they don't focus on being the fastest, but being the best/nicest/pretty fast-- aka, they make the cars faster, but without eliminating the underlying character, comfort, or feeling of quality of the car... and then applying that philosophy to every aspect of the car. IMO this can be done at the individual level, given a singer like budget.

That said, air cooled 911s are also a bit unique in one specific way (besides the rear engine)-- Porsche effectively made the same car for 35 years. Parts are easily swapped between the the earliest cars and the cars from the end of their production run. This means that people working on them can choose the best part, from a huge range, for their application.

Singer has gotten away from that more than most air cooled restromodders-- many of their parts are aftermarket/singer/collaboration parts.

I try to take inspiration from Singer, though clearly my budget is far smaller. I don't attack any project from the sole goal of making the car faster-- I want it to continue to be a nice thing that I enjoy being in, including outside of the driving experience. I also always focus on the underlying goal of keeping it an e46 M3 in character-- which to me means minimal body work (CSL is as far as I'm willing to go), normally aspirated, comfortable/quiet enough to enjoy taking on a road trip, a high quality feeling interior, and a fully functional back seat. Within those self imposed limitations, I make the car as light/fast/responsive/feelsome/characterful as I can.
I agree with everything you are saying and in particular I think that bit in bold perfectly sums up what 80-90% of us working on not purely track focused M3s are trying to achieve... it definitely perfectly sums up the "ClubSport" inspiration and design intent of my build (although I cannot use CSL styling due to Targa Rally restrictions and hence have had to develop my own OEM inspired styling enhancements). In some ways I am kinda lucky in that the events I want to enter this car in are street based road rally events and hence the car must be street legal and will race on closed public roads. As a result the limitations regarding keeping the car street legal and the event restrictions cross-over a lot and make it easy for me to find a balance... really building the best car within the event restrictions essentially builds the best "street" car (performance capability on public roads and not a track) so all I am left to do is balance how far I go with that in terms of living with it day-to-day (ie doing the milk-run, daily driving etc). It is a bit harder for those of you building weekend/track/street warriors to find that balance in the sense that every choice you make will compromise something... ie if you pick a street legal part over a track part it may not be as capable on the track, but if you pick a purely track part over a street part then it may not be a nice to drive on the road.

In any case I think anyone of us that is working towards that OEM+ look / performance (ie not using obviously aftermarket or non-OEM inspired parts) are in our own way finding the balance between our uses of the car and hence developing our own "singerization" of the E46 M3.That is why I love reading people's build thread's on this forum so much

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote