BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 05:11:49 PM   #21
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Vanos splined shaft installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrubermensch View Post
Fair enough, but that difference is not mechanically relevant to the operation of the vanos. I think we agree on that! From a mechanical relevance point of view, each spline is identical.

--Peter
Yep-- completely useless to worry about it/use it!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 06:00:12 PM   #22
vwrado

In the garage:

United States

Thanks everyone! Now I feel much more confident with my install.
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 07:17:48 PM   #23
kuksul08

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I use this one. Don't tell Raj.

The cam you're inserting splined shaft has to be in time (bridge tool in place). Once you get it in just push in far enough to where teeth are barely showing than torque and move to the next cam. If you push it any farther or less it will not pass vans test. Raj's method solves the exact amount of insertion by position of pistons on the back side but make torquing more complicated. No one that I know that follow's his procedure exactly have had any issues but I think the video is simpler and I have used it 4-5 times on my cars with no issue.
You have to be really careful to make sure you put it back the same way, making sure to account for the backlash in the splines.

Raj's method is best if you didn't know the exact starting position.

~*Mods*~: High Flow Carbon Fiber Strut Pipe Trim, Custom Aero DME Shift Linkage, Forged Titanium Race-Euro-Spec Illuminated Diff Sleeves, Catless Dog CSL Retrofit, Mod Bug Delete & More
S54 Valve Adjustment DIY, Excel, Print out: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY video (cam bolts, oil pump disk, etc.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
Jump to top kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 06:04:37 AM   #24
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
That's not correct-- the sweet tooth exists because there's a different number of splines in the curved portion than in the straight portion, so they don't align 1:1. The result is there's one spine that will slide in without rotating.
It's been a while since I had mine apart, but I don't think this is a correct statement. IRRC, you could rotate it more than one. The point is that the curved portion and the straight portion are not aligned so the hub has to rotate slightly.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 12:23:36 PM   #25
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver View Post
It's been a while since I had mine apart, but I don't think this is a correct statement. IRRC, you could rotate it more than one. The point is that the curved portion and the straight portion are not aligned so the hub has to rotate slightly.
You can rotate to any of the splines during insertion. You must always insert on the first available tooth. The "sweet tooth" is the spline at which the vanos hubs and cams align such that the splined shaft initially inserts without any counter clockwise rotation at all.

It's useless because the vanos has enough travel to carry out its complete range of advance/retard regardless of which tooth you start on-- be it the "sweet tooth" or the farthest from sweet tooth (the one that requires the most counter clockwise rotating before engaging the first tooth, while inserting the splined shaft).

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote