BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 07:20:52 PM   #11
Cha5en

United States

Default Re: Steps to take to ensure flood car doesn't run into issues?

1. Part out the car
2. Total it out
3. Buy e92
4.???
5. profit.

Last edited by Cha5en; Sun, Sep-10-2017 at 07:44:44 PM.
Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 07:27:16 PM   #12
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

That sucks...

There's not much below the seat rails. There's a yaw sensor, 2 airbag sensors, seat wiring and rear wheel speed sensors.

I'd just toss the carpet and find a replacement. You can get one for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 07:40:03 PM   #13
Pnick

United States

In addition...I would locate all connectors (in-line and hooked up to components) that was under water and spray with contact cleaner, blow with compressed air and dry with a heat gun or hair dryer set on low temp just to be sure. Same thing on your comb type ground connections. Corrosion on those connections will gradually start & get worse then start giving you problems later on after you have everything assembled and it might even happen while car is in motion...Use wire brush to clean and apply some petrolatum or Vaseline. There are a few of these grounds & in-line plug connectors) inside and quite a few @ the front exterior (bumper).

05-SMG/IB/CINN/ZCP/SUNROOF_DELETE
If they don't meet your standards, lower yours!

Last edited by Pnick; Sun, Sep-10-2017 at 07:41:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Jump to top Pnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 11:36:41 PM   #14
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Couple of bags of silica in the passenger area and trunk for good measure???
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 12:22:42 AM   #15
wrcdave
Mr. Chicken rules!

In the garage:

United States

I know you said the water didn't seem to go into the intake but I would play it safe and pull the spark plugs and make sure no water is in any of the combustion chambers. Water cannot be compressed so you could blow the engine if water is present. Sorry to hear about all your damage from the hurricane. Also make sure you don't have mold in your house. Good luck.
Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 02:03:43 AM   #16
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Really sorry you got flooded, but you probably saved the car by getting it up on the jack stands. Use contact cleaner and compressed air on the wiring harnesses that got wet. If any modules got wet, they are probably non-functional. You should remove the calipers, clean and lubricate the pins. Get underneath and remove the panels to see how much of the drivetrain got wet. If the clutch and pressure plate got wet, you should pull the transmission. The starter might also have got wet. If so, it's probably ruined.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 02:06:09 PM   #17
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

I have the Yaw sensor and airbag sensors from my 2004. I can give them to you if needed.

Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 03:26:08 AM   #18
SQ13

United States

I appreciate the advice and support.

I put in a dehumidifier yesterday afternoon, and it collected about 200-250 mL of water over a 30 hour period. I will keep monitoring.

I literally ripped the front carpet out in some areas, and it is trash now. Given how nasty the water was, I wouldn't want to keep it anyways. The rear carpet is sitting in the backyard and baking in the sun, just in case I want to salvage it (was removed from car a few months before flooding). I may go without front carpet for a few months, so I can monitor the wiring and connections more easily.

I'm going to have a shop thoroughly inspect the car, especially mechanical parts, wiring, and underbody. I'll probably have them replace all fluids as well. Can't tow there yet because I'm waiting on insurance, and garage floor is too nasty for any DIY work. Plus, I need to work on the house too.

As for sensors and modules, I'm not familiar with the E46 wiring, so I need some help. I though wheel speed sensors were an exterior part; if so, I shouldn't have to replace them, right? In the picture below, there are two yellow circles and a blue arrow up top and a blue circle in the passenger seat area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the yellow circles show the ground connections, blue arrow points to yaw sensor, and blue circle shows the airbag sensor? I saw what I think are the airbag sensors and ground connections in both driver and passenger areas. The wiring for seats and gas pedal box/TPS were dry. Anything else I should look at?

My passenger seat, factory seatbelt, and harness got some mold/fungus on them. I've cleaned and treated them, but I may end up replacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpoweruser View Post
If the water got that high on the car is the house ok ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
and also just a suggestion, I Have those jackstands too...theyre pretty low profile. Autozone has 6 ton jackstands that go about 6" higher than those! 35ish dollars grab a set for next time and some bricks!
Goodluck

The extra height from 6 ton stands would have helped tremendously. I plan on getting Esco stands or MaxJax lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha5en View Post
1. Part out the car
2. Total it out
3. Buy e92
4.???
5. profit.

I've been toying with the idea of using the E46 as a track/occasional street car and buying an E36 M3 to daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I have the Yaw sensor and airbag sensors from my 2004. I can give them to you if needed.

Can you PM me your price shipped to 78705?

Last edited by SQ13; Tue, Sep-12-2017 at 03:30:11 AM.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 03:55:37 AM   #19
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
I appreciate the advice and support.

I put in a dehumidifier yesterday afternoon, and it collected about 200-250 mL of water over a 30 hour period. I will keep monitoring.

I literally ripped the front carpet out in some areas, and it is trash now. Given how nasty the water was, I wouldn't want to keep it anyways. The rear carpet is sitting in the backyard and baking in the sun, just in case I want to salvage it (was removed from car a few months before flooding). I may go without front carpet for a few months, so I can monitor the wiring and connections more easily.

I'm going to have a shop thoroughly inspect the car, especially mechanical parts, wiring, and underbody. I'll probably have them replace all fluids as well. Can't tow there yet because I'm waiting on insurance, and garage floor is too nasty for any DIY work. Plus, I need to work on the house too.

As for sensors and modules, I'm not familiar with the E46 wiring, so I need some help. I though wheel speed sensors were an exterior part; if so, I shouldn't have to replace them, right? In the picture below, there are two yellow circles and a blue arrow up top and a blue circle in the passenger seat area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the yellow circles show the ground connections, blue arrow points to yaw sensor, and blue circle shows the airbag sensor? I saw what I think are the airbag sensors and ground connections in both driver and passenger areas. The wiring for seats and gas pedal box/TPS were dry. Anything else I should look at?

My passenger seat, factory seatbelt, and harness got some mold/fungus on them. I've cleaned and treated them, but I may end up replacing.

Ha!

The extra height from 6 ton stands would have helped tremendously. I plan on getting Esco stands or MaxJax lift.

I've been toying with the idea of using the E46 as a track/occasional street car and buying an E36 M3 to daily.

Can you PM me your price shipped to 78705?

Just PM me your address and I'll send it. What year is your car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 04:26:57 AM   #20
aab010799

In the garage:

United States

Wow man I am so sorry.

Do not give up on the car though!! Not worth it to give up a nice example. Very nice car

'02 Imola Red E46 M3 6MT
My Journal
Jump to top aab010799 is offline   Reply With Quote