BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 03:39:46 PM   #1
SQ13

United States

Default Steps to take to ensure flood car doesn't run into issues?

Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out if my car can be saved.

My car was raised on jack stands to max height with the battery disconnected when the hurricane hit Houston, and it got a small amount black water (muddy, sewage, bacteria, chemicals) inside through the drain holes on the chassis. At the time, my front carpet was intact and rear carpet had been removed. The area with no carpet got about 3-4 mm of water inside, and the front carpet foam absorbed enough water to show signs of wetness about 2-3" high in the vertical areas. There was no standing water underneath the carpet. However, the wire looming in some areas was wet. I wasn't able to get to the car until about a week after the flooding.

I have removed the front carpet and am blowing a fan inside to help dry things out. The battery is still disconnected. How long should I wait before I reconnect the battery and see if electronics are fine?

The intake filter is dry. Water did get inside the exhaust, but I don't know how deep it went. I assume if there's any water left in there, it will drain when I take the car off jack stands. I was planning on changing all fluids just to be safe and inspecting/cleaning underbody. Are there any other steps I should take to prevent further damage?

TIA

The water you see came from the foam after it was squeezed.

Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 03:51:21 PM   #2
aaronpoweruser

United States

Default Re: Steps to take to ensure flood car doesn't run into issues?

If the water got that high on the car is the house ok ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Jump to top aaronpoweruser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 04:33:15 PM   #3
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Man I can't even fathom what you and every other hurricane victim is going thru right now. I hope the car is ok. I would not reconnect the battery until you are sure everything is dried out. Good luck to ya.

UltraGauge - Orion V4's - SBV2 - Valentine One
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - Turner Spacers 15/12 - BWS 500S 12k/16k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 04:50:57 PM   #4
hlmiii

United States

The best medicine is time.
The longer you can let it sit and dry out the better chances all of the electronics will have. Remember that wiring is higher than floor - it runs along center tunnel and top of door sills - and it is higher than what your situation sounds like. :-)

I'm also down here. Three friends had cars sitting in higher water than yours. Late last week a tech has run a check on the circuits and they all tested out good.

Exhaust shouldn't be a problem.

You are working correctly. Wait for initial power up until all of the carpet/pad/etc. issues have been completely dried. That will give wiring itself a good period to dry.

Good luck!
Jump to top hlmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 05:11:52 PM   #5
ol_Blue

United States

Give it plenty of time and enough fan for circulation to speed up the drying process
Jump to top ol_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 05:21:05 PM   #6
gavp

United States

Can you put a dehumidifier inside it?
Jump to top gavp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 06:25:26 PM   #7
GeorgeH
BMW Fan

United States

I've saved numerous flooded cars like this, my general steps are as follows.

*Remove the carpet as fast as possible and anything that is fabric that could absorb moisture. If the carpet or any of these items are dried soon enough then I thoroughly clean and dry in the baking sun. Most of the time if the carpet is wet for less than a few days it is perfectly save able as far as smell and mold are concerned.
*Disconnect anything electrical in that region and blow out wiring harness with compressed air.
*Toss in the garbage any control module, sensor, etc that has gotten wet.
*If the water got above the transmission/diff vent then drain and refill those (if automatic, it's garbage).
*Once dry I like to let the car sit in the sun with the windows open to air out further.
*Once everything is dry inspect wiring, any signs of corrosion usually occurs on the terminal itself but trim it back and re-pin the harness as necessary.
*Install new control modules, sensors, etc and assemble vehicle.

***Seat frames you are on your own, I've cleaned, greased and reused but rust can set on early in places that are not easily cleaned.
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 06:58:51 PM   #8
lmtfi

United States

Put a house dehumidifier in the passenger seat location and run it 24x7 with the doors and windows closed. A small fan will move air around but remember that it just moves air - it doesn't dry. Empty tank whenever filled. Keep doing that. Clean what you can to remove residues.

Don't connect battery until dehumidifier runs non-productive for 3 days. Pull battery to dry under the box.

The wiring is the part that is hardest to dry out.
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 07:25:46 PM   #9
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Agreed on the modules and sensors. Crazy you can see the water level on the brake rotor perfectly.

and also just a suggestion, I Have those jackstands too...theyre pretty low profile. Autozone has 6 ton jackstands that go about 6" higher than those! 35ish dollars grab a set for next time and some bricks!
Goodluck
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 07:30:10 PM   #10
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

I'd say wow wait atleast a few weeks or a month to be safe. Yes try using compressed air to get water out of tight spaces. Sorry for the damage and I hope your car is okay. If it isn't okay, atleast you saved lots of parts for a partout.

2002 Jet black 6MT Coupe Besian Vanos, Gloss black grills
Jump to top bostonbruck is offline   Reply With Quote