BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 12:54:35 PM   #81
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 33,700
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

The clay mitt is incredibly fast. Takes a formally 6 hour process (I did it once every year or two) to ~10 min.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 06:35:26 PM   #82
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,103
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TheSt|G has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

Isle of Man




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

I can attest, the effectiveness of the clay mitt is nothing short of incredible.
__________________
Andrew
Current - '05 Interlagos E46 M3 SMG Delete 6MT Coupe - 3350lbs
Current - '85 Schwarze 911 3.2 Carrera 5MT Coupe - 2550lbs
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe



Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 06:50:17 PM   #83
FK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,287
Reputation: 0 FK is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Just had my car paint corrected for the first time. Then ceramic coated with CQuartz UK stuff.

I've never wanted to hate CB so much but it looks so damn good when it's clean.

Dammit.

Question though, how would one clean a coated car to maintain the coating?

I already have AMMO Hydrate and waffleweave towels. New microfibers are essential as well but what should one use for shampoo? Will run it through my Wolfgang foam gun.
Jump to top FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 06:52:00 PM   #84
Brian N
The Collector
 
Brian N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,600
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Brian N is on a distinguished road
Location: Orange County, CA

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
Just had my car paint corrected for the first time. Then ceramic coated with CQuartz UK stuff.

I've never wanted to hate CB so much but it looks so damn good when it's clean.

Dammit.

Question though, how would one clean a coated car to maintain the coating?

I already have AMMO Hydrate and waffleweave towels. New microfibers are essential as well but what should one use for shampoo? Will run it through my Wolfgang foam gun.
Carpro Reset, Gyeon Bathe or Bathe+ will work well.
__________________


-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 10:37:35 PM   #85
BearDeXPS
Registered User
 
BearDeXPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,685
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 BearDeXPS is on a distinguished road
Location: SATX

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
Just had my car paint corrected for the first time. Then ceramic coated with CQuartz UK stuff.

I've never wanted to hate CB so much but it looks so damn good when it's clean.

Dammit.

Question though, how would one clean a coated car to maintain the coating?

I already have AMMO Hydrate and waffleweave towels. New microfibers are essential as well but what should one use for shampoo? Will run it through my Wolfgang foam gun.
You can maintenance wash with any pH neutral soap... but if it contains glossers or polymers (they almost all do) these will build up on the surface affecting the aesthetics and hydrophobic properties of the coating.

As Brian said a wash every month or so with CarPro Reset ($$$) or Gyeon or Shine Supply Shift will knock that stuff off back down to the coating rejuvenating the ceramic properties. I would also hit it with another layer of CarPro Reload at this time.

Keep in mind you'll want to use a Si02 friendly product for QD or drying aids too (CarPro EcH02)... Ammo Hydrate does not play with ceramic coatings.


I hear ya... never buying a black car again
__________________

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 12:33:29 AM   #86
HolyChitMeng
Alpine White Hoarder
 
HolyChitMeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,715
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 HolyChitMeng is on a distinguished road
Location: Westchester, NY

Philippines




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The clay mitt is incredibly fast. Takes a formally 6 hour process (I did it once every year or two) to ~10 min.
do you have a link to it?
__________________

AW/BLK 09' 6MT ///M3: ESS VT2-650, BBS LM, Stoptech Trophy, Evolve, Full Supersprint Race, KW Sleeve Kit
TIAG/IR 04' 6MT ///M3: BBS CH, Eibach Pro-Street-S, Full SS Race, Eventuri, Evolve, AS 30% SSK, OE CSL Bootlid
AW/BLK 95' ///M3: 16k miles, LTW Strut Brace
Jump to top HolyChitMeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 11:19:43 AM   #87
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 33,700
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyChitMeng View Post
do you have a link to it?
https://www.eagleone.com/mitt
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 09:16:57 PM   #88
kippers4brkfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 123
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 kippers4brkfast is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

I always recommend a combination of clay and clay mitt. Its rare that I only use one or the other these days when I detail a car. Clay mitt is usually good for taking out big chunks quickly while clay bar is best suited for stubborn areas and front bumpers.

When it comes to maintaining a coated car you can just do your traditional two bucket wash. As mentioned Carpro Reset is a great wash for coatings, I also have used regular old Meguiar's car soap and that works just fine. To freshen up the protection you can use Carpro Reload or Hydro2 every few months. Hydro2 is stupid easy to use, its a spray on and rinse off product. Reload is a nice product specifically designed to adhere to coatings but its finicky to use. It has a tendency to streak but if you have dilute it with water it helps. After washing, sheet the water off with just the hose, no nozzle and that will do a large part of you drying for you. If you have access to a leaf blower, blow the rest off. Wipe any remaining water off with a quality microfiber and quick detailer or optimum no rinse as a drying aide. All of this should take less time than cleaning your wheels.
__________________
2003.5 M3, 2010 VW GTI, 1998 Jeep Cherokee
Jump to top kippers4brkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-15-2017, 01:10:23 PM   #89
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded
 
TheDoogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 402
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TheDoogan is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Probably a stupid question....

....but do you guys... not use automatic car washes, then? :\
__________________


Black 2006 M3, E46, 6MT, convertible - Headers, High-flow cats, section 3 (all Active Autowerke), Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-15-2017, 01:18:58 PM   #90
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 33,700
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippers4brkfast View Post
I always recommend a combination of clay and clay mitt. Its rare that I only use one or the other these days when I detail a car. Clay mitt is usually good for taking out big chunks quickly while clay bar is best suited for stubborn areas and front bumpers.

When it comes to maintaining a coated car you can just do your traditional two bucket wash. As mentioned Carpro Reset is a great wash for coatings, I also have used regular old Meguiar's car soap and that works just fine. To freshen up the protection you can use Carpro Reload or Hydro2 every few months. Hydro2 is stupid easy to use, its a spray on and rinse off product. Reload is a nice product specifically designed to adhere to coatings but its finicky to use. It has a tendency to streak but if you have dilute it with water it helps. After washing, sheet the water off with just the hose, no nozzle and that will do a large part of you drying for you. If you have access to a leaf blower, blow the rest off. Wipe any remaining water off with a quality microfiber and quick detailer or optimum no rinse as a drying aide. All of this should take less time than cleaning your wheels.
Yeah, this is what I do, too (bar + mitt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoogan View Post
Probably a stupid question....

....but do you guys... not use automatic car washes, then? :\
I don't ever, for the purpose of washing. But, the touchless ones won't damage your paint like the touch ones will.

Generally, every spring I hit a touchless one with an underbody sprayer to knock the winters salt off.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Fri, Sep-15-2017 at 01:54:37 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:34:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)