BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 05:57:33 PM   #31
BMWjunkie11
That guy

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Box cutter and a sailor's vocabulary
Yea this exactly, it sucks because you're destroying perfectly good carpet.

2002 Jet Black/Grey ///M3

Full Supersprint Race Exhaust l PSDesigns Velocity Stack Kit l TMS Pulleys l TTFS Custom Alpha-N Tune

"Bags are for dead hookers"

Jump to top BMWjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 06:05:41 PM   #32
carsandguns

United States

As others have mentioned above, Larry and Matt are solid guys and have some great videos.

When I first get a car I perform a multi-step prep. Depending on how the car was kept up by the previous owner the car may need a light correction (1 or 2 step), or a heavier correction (2 or 3 step). I always measure and inspect the paint before doing anything to see what I am working with.

My prep steps:
Wash (Foam Canon W/ Two Bucket Method)
Decontam (Iron-X)
Clay Bar (If needed)
Correction (If needed)
Ceramic Coat or Sealant (I prefer the coating over the sealant)

Once the paint is in good shape, I preform maintenance washes once a week. During the washes I use the two bucket method with simple grit guards and a foam canon. I make sure to start at the top of the car and work your way down. I only use straight passes with my wash mitts, as straight scratches are much easier to correct as apposed to swirls if debris gets stuck in your mitt during the wash. My drying methodology is to touch the paint as minimal as possible. I use a leaf blower to dry the car. The coating makes drying with a leaf blower an absolute breeze. Every month I'll hit the car with Carpro's reload to keep up the longevity of the coating. Everybody has a different method to their madness and will say one way works better than the other, blah blah blah. Unless you're Larry or Matt you most likely won't be able to tell the difference.
Jump to top carsandguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 06:06:23 PM   #33
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Box cutter and a sailor's vocabulary
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie11 View Post
Yea this exactly, it sucks because you're destroying perfectly good carpet.
Uh, yeah I'll let the shop take care of it. Knowing myself, I'd probably cut myself in the process.

Perfectly good carpet infested with E. coli
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 06:52:03 PM   #34
thonas

In the garage:

United States

My go to sources for detailing product reviews and procedures are;

www.obsessedgarage.com
www.ammonyc.com
Old Sat, Sep-09-2017, 02:22:39 AM   #35
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez guys.....

I sincerely wish I had time to take care of my car the way you guys are describing. I just paid $140 to have it detailed, and while the interior looks new, the pain is still rough. This was a garage baby, but the black pain has fine scratches, especially on the hood; and a couple stone pecks.

The detail helped; I mean, it could almost be confused as a new car; but up close, it's just a thousand scratches everywhere you look.

I will have to find someone who I can pay to do a good job... I don't think this detailer really did... What should a good restoration detail cost, you guys?

Black 2006 M3, E46, 6MT, convertible - Headers, High-flow cats, section 3 (all Active Autowerke), Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-09-2017, 02:46:05 AM   #36
kippers4brkfast

In the garage:

United States

I've been detailing for a long time, I've had a nice little side business for the last few years. It is a broad topic but there is some great info that has already been posted. Larry at Ammo is a great source of information as is the r/autodetailing over at reddit.

Start learning to wash and decontaminate/clay your car properly first. Then work into more advance techniques such as polishing. Understand that there are limits to how much you can improve a cars appearance with detailing depending on the starting point. The better shape the car is currently in the better the outcome will be. I struggled with polishing for a long time, why didn't my car come out as good as what I saw on the internet? Then I had a chat with Mike Phillips over at Autogeek and he basically said you can't win them all and you can only do so much.

As for products, plenty of good stuff out there. I use a lot of Meguiar's and CarPro. Part of the fun of being a hobbyist is experimenting with products. I can also order anyone products at wholesale pricing.
Old Sat, Sep-09-2017, 02:47:26 AM   #37
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoogan View Post
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez guys.....

I sincerely wish I had time to take care of my car the way you guys are describing. I just paid $140 to have it detailed, and while the interior looks new, the pain is still rough. This was a garage baby, but the black pain has fine scratches, especially on the hood; and a couple stone pecks.

The detail helped; I mean, it could almost be confused as a new car; but up close, it's just a thousand scratches everywhere you look.

I will have to find someone who I can pay to do a good job... I don't think this detailer really did... What should a good restoration detail cost, you guys?
I think for $140 a good wash is the most you would get from me if that. A professional detailer will charge you $800 and above for a paint correction. It all depends on how much time is needed. Detailing is not cheap and requires a lot of time. Check out some time lapsed videos of paint corrections done by Detailers Domain as well to get an idea of what can be done.
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-09-2017, 02:50:55 AM   #38
simon_c

United States

In my area you can get a pretty solid one step polish for about $300 or so
Old Sat, Sep-09-2017, 03:24:06 AM   #39
BTB

In the garage:

United States

paint correction and ceramic coating does wonders
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-09-2017, 06:17:26 AM   #40
idntknow2005

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Rear carpet was removed a while back becauseracecar. I'm not sure how to remove front carpet without taking out the dash. I was going to have the shop take care of that.

I'm tempted to take a sample of the water and culture whatever bacteria is present. E. coli was confirmed to be in the water, but I'm curious which strain it is and what else is there.
taking the dash out is simple, the only hard part is removing the A pillars. before i did mine i was so afraid of the job, i was afraid because i pulled a few dashes out of the e30s and they were a nighmare.

dont cut the carpet, just remove the dash, its well worth the added time. TRUST ME