BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 03:04:01 PM   #21
OneFastSicilian
Frankie
 
OneFastSicilian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,407
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 OneFastSicilian is on a distinguished road
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY

Italy




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

I have to agree with some.. Chemical guys is 80% hype in my opinion.. they do really well with advertising and fancy labels but some of their stuff is junk and doesn't work as intended.. There's only one company that's never let me down with ANY of their products.. that's Adam's.. I use everything from adams..

my wife bought me one of those big $200-250 detailing kit with 2 bucks etc and everything I've used is great!

Do your homework before pissing away hundreds of dollars on what ends up becoming garage decorations lol
__________________
Previous:
  • 01 - AW/IR - Sold
  • 03.5 - IR/Impulse - Sold
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!


*Instagram*
@E46_M3_Owners_Of_The_World
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 03:43:02 PM   #22
L0ADED
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 180
Reputation: 0 L0ADED has disabled reputation
Location: The Coast

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Keep it simple - proper wash mit, good quality soap, buckets, good quality towels. If want to go the next step - pressure washer, foam cannon, grit guards, air dryer. The idea is use the least amount of pressure with the wash mit and work from top to bottom - roof, hood, trunk, top side panel, etc. Also, you want to touch the paint as least as possible. After washing, apply some type of sealant or wax until the next wash. This will maintain the paint fairly well and it will only need a full detail every few years which is a full day job with a DA or other polisher.

At the end of the day, anytime you touch the paint with a towel, wash mit, or other wash tool, you are finely scratching the paint. The goal is to do minimal scratching by using light pressure whenever touching the paint. Avoid wiping or touching any panel after the car has been driven - this is probably the best way to add scratches.

Griots, Adams, Meguires and AMMO are a few who make decent detailing products. Meguires is probably the best value out of the 4.

Last edited by L0ADED; Fri, Sep-08-2017 at 03:59:03 PM.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 04:17:47 PM   #23
OneFastSicilian
Frankie
 
OneFastSicilian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,407
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 OneFastSicilian is on a distinguished road
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY

Italy




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
My first advise - don't listen to or purchase anything from Chemical Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
Keep it simple - proper wash mit, good quality soap, buckets, good quality towels. If want to go the next step - pressure washer, foam cannon, grit guards, air dryer. The idea is use the least amount of pressure with the wash mit and work from top to bottom - roof, hood, trunk, top side panel, etc. Also, you want to touch the paint as least as possible. After washing, apply some type of sealant or wax until the next wash. This will maintain the paint fairly well and it will only need a full detail every few years which is a full day job with a DA or other polisher.

At the end of the day, anytime you touch the paint with a towel, wash mit, or other wash tool, you are finely scratching the paint. The goal is to do minimal scratching by using light pressure whenever touching the paint. Avoid wiping or touching any panel after the car has been driven - this is probably the best way to add scratches.
Griots, Adams, Meguires and AMMO are a few who make decent detailing products. Meguires is probably the best value out of the 4.
best advice that one can give here.. at the end of the day, no matter what you use, if you dont' go by this, your paint will look jacked up in no time.

__________________
Previous:
  • 01 - AW/IR - Sold
  • 03.5 - IR/Impulse - Sold
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!


*Instagram*
@E46_M3_Owners_Of_The_World
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 04:31:47 PM   #24
Joshe46
Registered User
 
Joshe46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 367
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Joshe46 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

I do use some of chemical guys interior products . However I don't like them as a company. Their videos are 100% about their products even when describing technique. I use AMMO nyc regiment on my car and I love it. Although I see nothing special in just the foam cleanser. Hydrate, skin, and reflex are great. Watch Larry's videos!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Joshe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 04:35:20 PM   #25
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE
 
KhanArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,953
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 KhanArt is on a distinguished road
Location: DC/MD/VA

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Here is a good video on the basics of washing. I would start here:

__________________
2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
Build///Journal
IG: @Khan_Art_ | @TuningTechFS
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 04:38:07 PM   #26
BMWjunkie11
That guy
 
BMWjunkie11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,153
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 BMWjunkie11 is on a distinguished road
Location: Saratoga, NY

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
Keep it simple - proper wash mit, good quality soap, buckets, good quality towels. If want to go the next step - pressure washer, foam cannon, grit guards, air dryer. The idea is use the least amount of pressure with the wash mit and work from top to bottom - roof, hood, trunk, top side panel, etc. Also, you want to touch the paint as least as possible. After washing, apply some type of sealant or wax until the next wash. This will maintain the paint fairly well and it will only need a full detail every few years which is a full day job with a DA or other polisher.

At the end of the day, anytime you touch the paint with a towel, wash mit, or other wash tool, you are finely scratching the paint. The goal is to do minimal scratching by using light pressure whenever touching the paint. Avoid wiping or touching any panel after the car has been driven - this is probably the best way to add scratches.

Griots, Adams, Meguires and AMMO are a few who make decent detailing products. Meguires is probably the best value out of the 4.
I agree with all this, just make sure before you put on wax or sealant you clay bar the car at a minimum. If you just apply wax/sealant all you're doing is temporarily filling scratches. You should really do a good wash, clay bar, any compounding and polishing needed, then finish with a sealant, wax is an extra option. Then from there you have a clean car and you can maintain things accordingly. Like Loaded said, you should only cut and buff the car every few years, regular waxing and sealants will do wonders depending on the amount of driving and environment.

Oh and definitely get some wheel brushes, I've got a couple different types and with the brake dust these cars throw off it makes cleaning the wheels so much easier, they will save you loads of time.
__________________


2002 Jet Black/Grey ///M3

Full Supersprint Race Exhaust l PSDesigns Velocity Stack Kit l TMS Pulleys l TTFS Custom Alpha-N Tune

"Bags are for dead hookers"

Jump to top BMWjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 04:54:34 PM   #27
L0ADED
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 180
Reputation: 0 L0ADED has disabled reputation
Location: The Coast

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie11 View Post
I agree with all this, just make sure before you put on wax or sealant you clay bar the car at a minimum. If you just apply wax/sealant all you're doing is temporarily filling scratches. You should really do a good wash, clay bar, any compounding and polishing needed, then finish with a sealant, wax is an extra option. Then from there you have a clean car and you can maintain things accordingly. Like Loaded said, you should only cut and buff the car every few years, regular waxing and sealants will do wonders depending on the amount of driving and environment.

Oh and definitely get some wheel brushes, I've got a couple different types and with the brake dust these cars throw off it makes cleaning the wheels so much easier, they will save you loads of time.
Clay baring is one of the worst, if not the worst, things one could do in between washes. It will scratch the paint worse than wiping the paint down after a drive. It should only be reserved for a car that has very rough feeling, contaminated paint such as a car left outside in the elements, parked under a tree, or something similar.

Edit: I read the comment about claying needing to be done at the same frequency as waxing and sealant. It was probably meant for the full detailing process when a car's paint is very rough. The sealant/waxing between washes puts a layer between the paint and outside elements and fills in the microscratches that are not worth polishing until a full detail.

Last edited by L0ADED; Fri, Sep-08-2017 at 05:05:31 PM.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 05:09:18 PM   #28
BMWjunkie11
That guy
 
BMWjunkie11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,153
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 BMWjunkie11 is on a distinguished road
Location: Saratoga, NY

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
Clay baring is one of the worst, if not the worst, things one could do in between washes. It will scratch the paint worse than wiping the paint down after a drive. It should only be reserved for a car that has very rough feeling, contaminated paint such as a car left outside in the elements, parked under a tree, or something similar.

Edit: I read the comment about claying needing to be done at the same frequency as waxing and sealant. It was probably meant for the full detailing process when a car's paint is very rough. The sealant/waxing between washes puts a layer between the paint and outside elements and fills in the microscratches that are not worth polishing until a full detail.
Yes I am by no means implying doing clay every time. My point was more to start from the ground floor up, do one real good detail to give yourself a solid platform to build off. I have no idea the condition of the OP's car so it's tough to say where to start. If the car is new then OP can skip just about everything and go to sealant. Assuming it's an older car they may want to start from the beginning and go through all the steps.
__________________


2002 Jet Black/Grey ///M3

Full Supersprint Race Exhaust l PSDesigns Velocity Stack Kit l TMS Pulleys l TTFS Custom Alpha-N Tune

"Bags are for dead hookers"

Jump to top BMWjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 05:23:30 PM   #29
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE
 
KhanArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,953
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 KhanArt is on a distinguished road
Location: DC/MD/VA

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

New cars believe it or not may need polishing and compounding too. I would definitely wash, clay bar/decontaminate, wash, compond/polish, sealant/wax/coating.

Skip the clay bar and paint correction stage if not needed but I would do it once and maintain it moving forward so washing and sealing/waxing is all that's needed.
__________________
2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
Build///Journal
IG: @Khan_Art_ | @TuningTechFS
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-08-2017, 05:49:01 PM   #30
Drewster
Registered User
 
Drewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,331
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Drewster is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Rear carpet was removed a while back becauseracecar. I'm not sure how to remove front carpet without taking out the dash. I was going to have the shop take care of that.
Box cutter and a sailor's vocabulary
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Aesthetical Car Care: Keeping them Looking Good and Healthy in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)